ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 10-20-16, 08:13 PM

AcctUhd456 is on a distinguished road
Adderall IR to Dextroamphetamine

Any of you who take dextroamphetamine(whichever brand) who use to take Adderall and have ADHD-predominantly inattentive find the dextramphetamine to be better in overall effects for your focus and productivity?

Adderall makes me feel speedy and anxious to the point of smoking and doing unproductive things like unimportant reading on the internet. It also worsens my anxiety. I've tried Vyvanse(expensive),generic Dexedrine(tried on accident,should bring up to doctor to try),Zenzedi(very expensive)and I like the way they made me feel.It kind of ****** me off/made me feel apathetic if I wasn't doing something that I am supposed to be unlike Adderall which made me continuously zone into whatever unproductivity it allowed.It allowed enough focus that I could sit and do whatever I'm supposed to be doing without the physical effects of Adderall.Only bad thing is that I would zone in on something much longer whether I had to or not.

One thing I hate about amphetamine medications and possibly all stimulant medications is that it raises my sex drive.Considering I am doing something similar to NOFAP I don't like this effect at all. And of course smoking.Before I would any day take being a happy non-smoker than taking and medicine at all.But after two months of that I realized that my ADD symptoms need to be addressed.Diet and exercise helps but doesn't keep organized and productive,as well as doing priority things.Stimulant Medication does with the drawback of nicotine cravings. WellbutrinXL maybe? I'm bringing that up for sure my November 2nd appointment before dextramphetamine.

What have you noticed about switching from Adderall to Dextroamphetamine in terms of side effects or effects relating to ADHD/Anxiety/Addiction?

If I take 20mg IRx2 tablets daily what mg amount would doctor switch me to?Generic Dexedrine only seems to come in 5mg-10mg amounts. Plus 2 tablets doesn't have enough coverage but 3 does. Would 10mgx3-4 tablets be equal to Adderall 20mgx2 tablets?Would Doctor/Pharmacist allow for 90/120 generic dexedrine prescription for one month?
Old 10-21-16, 02:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,288 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall IR to Dextroamphetamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctUhd456 View Post
I've tried Vyvanse(expensive),generic Dexedrine(tried on accident,should bring up to doctor to try),Zenzedi(very expensive)and I like the way they made me feel.It kind of ****** me off/made me feel apathetic if I wasn't doing something that I am supposed to be unlike Adderall which made me continuously zone into whatever unproductivity it allowed.
When you took dex, what dose were you prescribed?

Quote:
And of course smoking.Before I would any day take being a happy non-smoker than taking and medicine at all.But after two months of that I realized that my ADD symptoms need to be addressed.Diet and exercise helps but doesn't keep organized and productive,as well as doing priority things.Stimulant Medication does with the drawback of nicotine cravings. WellbutrinXL maybe? I'm bringing that up for sure my November 2nd appointment before dextramphetamine.
Were you already a smoker without the amphetamines? Or did you start because you were taking them?

Quote:
What have you noticed about switching from Adderall to Dextroamphetamine in terms of side effects or effects relating to ADHD/Anxiety/Addiction?
I have taken each of them at different points and now I take both. The dex I use as a booster.
Addiction to amphetamines when taken as prescribed at doctor ordered doses very rarely leads to addiction. Recreational users are often the ones who abuse them.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 10-23-16, 02:41 PM

AcctUhd456 is on a distinguished road

5mg x 2 per day
Yes I was a smoker
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-16, 09:00 AM

emperorpenguin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I take 20mg IRx2 tablets daily what mg amount would doctor switch me to?Generic Dexedrine only seems to come in 5mg-10mg amounts. Plus 2 tablets doesn't have enough coverage but 3 does. Would 10mgx3-4 tablets be equal to Adderall 20mgx2 tablets?Would Doctor/Pharmacist allow for 90/120 generic dexedrine prescription for one month?
It's kind of hard to say. Dextroamphetamine is much more CNS-potent than Levoamphetamine, whereas Levoamphetamine is responsible for more PNS effects (e.g., most of the side effects) and also has a longer half-life. As you probably know, Adderall is 75% D-amp and 25% L-amp, whereas Dexedrine is 100% Dextroamphetamine. As to which is "stronger", it's fairly subjective but likely dependent, at least in part, on your sensitivity to the two isomers. I'm extremely sensitive to L-amp to the point where I couldn't tolerate Adderall; the appetite suppression and tachycardia were too much, even at 20-30mg/day. Dexedrine, on the other hand, has been just great. I get the clarity and focus without feeling like I'm on speed.

Interesting that it boosts your sex drive, I've found exactly the opposite effect from amphetamines (but I think I'm atypical in that regard).

When there are quantity limits, it's usually an insurance issue rather than a legal one. But yes, some doctors are wary of prescribing large quantities of pills (independent of the total dosage being reasonable or not). If your pharmacist balks at a prescription for any reason other than a serious drug interaction or actual legal issue, find a new pharmacy.