ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-16, 06:33 PM

Weas95 is on a distinguished road
Pretty long hi from weas

Hi !

Im very new to this forum, but decided to join since ive been researching and having a lot of questions about ADD , I also don't know anybody who also has ADD exept for my sister.

So my real name is pieter but on the internet i prefer to go as weas95
Im 17 years old and live in Belgium. Im not in school i am taking exams how ever to get my highschool diploma (it is complicated).

I got diagnosed with ADD about 2 years ago. I never fully understood it or believed that it wasn't just how i was(i was only 14/15 at the time), until recently. I used to take dexamphetamine and after that concerta about 1,5 years ago but stopped pretty soon because I didn't like it nor did i get any effect from the concerta(switched to it since dex made me shake) wich made me doubt my ADD even more.

Now recently I have started using dex again though, and havoe researched a lot more on ADD im at 2x5mg a day(1st week). And it works amazing, im able to actually concentrate and get stuff done, however some side effects im having is getting a bit stressed or shaky and cant really fall asleep which the latter is my biggest problem (so if anybody has any tips tell meh )

Thanks for reading and
Sorry for the long post !
Id give a potato here but thats because I'm used to 9gag.
Greetings weas
aeon (11-01-16), sarek (10-31-16), Simargl (10-31-16)
Old 10-29-16, 06:41 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,682 Times in 9,250 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pretty long hi from weas

Hi and welcome, Weas!

If you're shaky, stressed, and can't fall asleep, it's possible your dose of Dexedrine may be too high for you. Since you just started, these side effects might also fade over the next week or two. Make sure you're getting enough food and staying hydrated, and avoiding caffeine, which can amplify stimulant side effects. If the side effects persist, ask your doctor about trying a lower dose of medication.

For sleep, specifically --
1. Don't take Dexedrine in the late afternoon or evening if it prevents you from falling asleep.
2. Practice good sleep hygiene -- have a set time and routine for falling asleep and a set time for waking up each day, avoid screens (TV, computer, phone, etc.) in the late evening, etc.
3. Talk to your doctor if you continue to have trouble sleeping.

Again, welcome, and best wishes!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-01-16), Jeftheginger (10-29-16), stef (10-29-16), Weas95 (10-29-16)
Old 10-29-16, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the fast reply !
And the nice tips i will try them out for sure !

And I should not be taking to much since I weigh about 125 kg so im hoping The side effects will go away after 2 weeks. I will definitely keep a close eye to it though !

Thanks again for the tips !
namazu (10-30-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-16, 12:37 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,682 Times in 9,250 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I hope the side effects will go away soon for you, too. They're not uncommon for people just starting stimulants.

In the event that they don't -- be aware that with ADHD meds, your response to the medication is far more relevant than your weight in determining the most appropriate dose. Unlike with some other types of medication, there is no standard weight-based formula for stimulant dosing. Some people (even people who aren't "small") are particularly sensitive to stimulants, and respond well to lower-than-typical doses. Other people find that changing to a different stimulant, or using non-stimulants, is better for them.

But hopefully you'll find that the current dose works well and the side effects fade quickly!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Weas95 (11-01-16)
Old 10-31-16, 08:40 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,408 Times in 11,944 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Weas95 (10-31-16)
Old 10-31-16, 09:31 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,717 Times in 8,868 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Welcome to the neighborhood.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Weas95 (10-31-16)
Old 10-31-16, 10:35 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,232 Posts
Simargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud of

Heya Weas!

Welcome to the forum. (:
Weas95 (10-31-16)
Old 10-31-16, 11:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,913 Times in 7,988 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Glad you found what works.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Weas95 (10-31-16)
Old 11-01-16, 10:13 AM

Thanks all for the replies and welcomes !
Old 11-01-16, 10:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,856 Times in 5,710 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forums.