ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 06-01-05, 08:28 PM

ADHDDAD is on a distinguished road
Question ADHD and Remeron

My son has been on adderall and stratera.The doctor has recommended Remeron.I looked it up on the internet and it is for depression.I dont think my son is depressed.I was wondering if anyone had their son or daughter on Remeron?and if they noticed any changes in their personality?
Thanks
Old 06-02-05, 02:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ichpuchtli has a spectacular aura aboutIchpuchtli has a spectacular aura about
I think it is because depression meds are the same or almost the same as AD/HD meds, that is what I was told. I think is has basiclly the same affects as the others unless they didn't work out for you.
Old 07-19-05, 10:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Exclamation

Depression is not sadness only. It can be *irritability*.

[N.B. The DSM-IV was recently amended to reflect this variant.]

So, yes, those crotchety SOBs who are emotionally nasty/take their crud out on the rest of us -- are likely a depressed lot, too, despite their lack of crying/sadness.

[Ofcourse i can't speak for this child's particular condition.]

Strattera was originally an **Antidepressant**, by the way. It is both an anti-depressant AND a non-stimulating ADD drug.

Same with Effexor and Wellbutrin.

In psychopharmacology -- when a drug can serve -=more than one purpose/action=-, it is called a "dirty drug". Many drugs fit this category -- as does Strattera.

"Dirty" simply means having more than one action -- as opposed to being purely uni-focused.

Perhaps you have heard of people with Migraines or Chronic Pain being prescribed Anti-depressants (eg Elavil) or Anti-convulsants (eg. Topamax, Tegretol).

Certainly, they may not have Depression nor do they have Epilepsy -- but the drug alters the nerve signals (communication) in a way that **ALSO** helps the Pain conditions.

e.g. A Pain Message is sent in nerve signals. Epilepsy drugs, for example, "dampen" the nerve signals in Neuropathic pain. We can't stop the pain, but we can stop the travels of the pain signal, or muffle it.

-Emma

PS. My ADD Doctor prescribes Effexor and Wellbutrin for ADD, too. (In those who cannot tolerate traditional Stimulants.)

Last edited by QueensU_girl; 07-19-05 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links