ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-17, 05:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
If i started a new forums similar ADDForums,

If i started a new member moderated forums similar ADDForums without the promotion of pharma as the dominant treatment approach, would I still be able to be a member of ADDForums?

Old 01-07-17, 06:00 PM

Thanked 5,596 Times in 2,725 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If i started a new forums similar ADDForums,

Well if you did, how would anybody even know that it was you who started it? The people who promote pharma as the dominant treatment approach are the members themselves. What would stop the same from occuring on your forum?
Old 01-07-17, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Well if you did, how would anybody even know that it was you who started it? The people who promote pharma as the dominant treatment approach are the members themselves. What would stop the same from occuring on your forum?
I would tell people if I was allowed.

Because the forum topic would be on stages of development of self-regulation before pharma is even an treatment option.

Old 01-07-17, 06:13 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,909 Times in 6,214 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any problem remaining a member here as long as you weren't discussing, promoting or marketing it here. I am not certain but I would definitely PM Andi or Andrew if you are serious about it first.
Old 01-07-17, 06:22 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

I think you could still be a member of this forum , but you would probably not be able to promote it here on anywhere in your profile.

But it is a great idea. I'm all for non-medicated treatment if it is effective.
I'd like to get deeper into the theory and practice without the meds discussion as well.

I think It would be a better idea to do it on this forum , as it already has many users.

If we could create a section on this forum that would not allow suggestion of medications.
You could probably work something out with the forum owners and maybe be a moderator.

I think I may be difficult to get enough activity on a new forum.
Old 01-07-17, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I don't see any problem remaining a member here as long as you weren't discussing, promoting or marketing it here. I am not certain but I would definitely PM Andi or Andrew if you are serious about it first.
Would I be able to introduce a link PM with friends if I started a new forums?

Old 01-07-17, 06:29 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,458 Times in 9,115 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Would I be able to introduce a link PM with friends if I started a new forums?
Here's what our site guidelines say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
*No links to other groups, forums or communities in signatures or posts, without the explicit written permission of a Site Admin.
Promoting your own forum via PM may also be considered solicitation/spamming, which is prohibited.

As Greyhound suggested, please contact our site administrators, Andi and Andrew, for clarification/permission.

And remember, we have long had not just one, but multiple sections here devoted to non-pharmaceutical approaches to managing ADHD, which you are welcome to continue to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (02-25-17)
Old 01-07-17, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
I think you could still be a member of this forum , but you would probably not be able to promote it here on anywhere in your profile.

But it is a great idea. I'm all for non-medicated treatment if it is effective.
I'd like to get deeper into the theory and practice without the meds discussion as well.

I think It would be a better idea to do it on this forum , as it already has many users.

If we could create a section on this forum that would not allow suggestion of medications.
You could probably work something out with the forum owners and maybe be a moderator.

I think I may be difficult to get enough activity on a new forum.
I have tried here for years and not many people are interested, although some disagree, the proof is in the pudding, the thread gets moved to alternative treatment section below the pharma treatment section , as if pharma takes precedent over the most environmentally influential stages of implicit self-regulation development before birth and the age of 4, when everyone actually acquires ADHD.

What is really frustrating is pharma treatment approach not even an option, during the early stages of implicit self regulation development before the age of 4, that we should be focused on..

Old 01-07-17, 06:43 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have tried here for years and not many people are interested, although some disagree, the proof is in the pudding, the thread gets moved to alternative treatment section below the pharma treatment section , as if pharma takes precedent over the most environmentally influential stages of implicit self-regulation development before birth and the age of 4, when everyone acquires ADHD.

What is really frustrating is pharma treatment approach not even an option, during the early stages of implicit self regulation development before the age of 4, that should be focused on.

Ok , I see your point,

I'm not sure if this forum is for profit or non-profit.
If it generated any income from any activity.

If it is for profit, then you have to understand the reasons why it is the way it is.

If it is not for profit, then we could possible achieve a better location of the section on this forum.
Old 01-07-17, 06:46 PM
Contributor

I really dont see any negative of adding therapy like approach .
Even for people with meds.

If you are effective with meds, then with other non-meds approach you could be even more effective and productive.
Old 01-07-17, 06:50 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have tried here for years and not many people are interested, the thread gets moved to alternative treatment section below the pharma treatment section , as if pharma takes precedent over the most environmentally influential stages of self-regulation development before birth and the age of 4.
Your thread was moved to Miscellaneous Treatments and Approaches because you asked a question about general non-pharmaceutical treatments and approaches, and that was the most appropriate subforum.

There are 6 [!] sections devoted to different types of treatments, 5 [!] of which are devoted to non-pharmaceutical treatments.

The fact that the medication section is at the top simply reflects the fact that many members come to ADDF seeking information about medications. It does not mean that the forum has any official policy of promoting pharmaceutical treatment over other types of treatment (we don't). (If we moved other treatment sections to the top, people would complain that we are pushing other treatments over medications. Until we can stack the sections sideways or in random order, we can't win!)

I believe that there are many forum members who are interested in learning about and trying non-medication treatment approaches. (I am one of them.) That members participate in your threads in ways other than the way you want them to is not inherently a sign of disinterest or opposition to non-medical approaches to ADHD treatment.

That many members are adults with ADHD (well above the age of 4) seeking help with the problems they currently face may also have something to do with members' limited interest in discussing the finer points of early childhood development, even if it is an important topic in understanding what happens in ADHD. You are free to explain (in one of the numerous threads you've started on the topic -- not here) why adults with ADHD should be interested in development from ages 0-4, and they are free to decide whether or not you've made the case in a way they find compelling. If you were to start another forum to discuss only early childhood development and non-medical approaches to ADHD, you'd have to do the same thing.

Last edited by namazu; 01-07-17 at 07:05 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
David (02-28-17), Drewbacca (01-24-17), Johnny Slick (01-24-17), Little Missy (01-07-17), Lunacie (03-10-17), peripatetic (02-25-17)
Old 01-07-17, 06:54 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
I'm not sure if this forum is for profit or non-profit.
If it generated any income from any activity.

If it is for profit, then you have to understand the reasons why it is the way it is.

If it is not for profit, then we could possible achieve a better location of the section on this forum.
The forum is owned by David. He has ADHD himself. He also earns money from the advertising served to non-members and people who are not logged in. Ultimately, decisions about the nature of the forum are his call.

We strictly prohibit advertising on the forum itself, including links to commercial websites. No money is being made off the placement of the treatment sections, nor in promoting any kind of treatment (pharmaceutical or otherwise) to logged-in members.

The site administrators, as well as the moderators, are all unpaid volunteers. We do what we do in the hopes of providing a place where people affected by ADHD and related conditions can find support and information. Effectively, we (the admins and moderators) operate like a non-profit with zero budget.

There is some room for changes to forum sections and structure, at the Admins' discrection, which is part of the reason this Suggestions & Feedback section exists.

Last edited by namazu; 01-07-17 at 07:09 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-07-17), Greyhound1 (01-07-17), Little Missy (01-07-17), midnightstar (01-07-17), peripatetic (02-25-17)
Old 01-07-17, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
... If you were to start another forum to discuss only early childhood development and non-medical approaches to ADHD, you'd have to do the same thing.
That would be great to discuss development in the order development occurs.

Order of early development is extremely important to understanding treatment.

Thanks for everyone's honesty, I will keep to these guidelines mentioned in this thread.

Old 01-07-17, 07:30 PM

Re: Riding a bike with no hands: Non-pharmaceutical treatment approaches.

[moderator note: this post and several posts that follow were moved here from another thread so as not to derail that other thread]

I am not sure why " Non-pharmaceutical treatment" was added to the title of this thread?

I titled this thread "Riding a bike with no hands".

I do not want this thread to be titled " :non-pharmaceutical treatment approaches".

G

Last edited by namazu; 01-07-17 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: added moderator note to clarify which thread these posts came from
Old 01-07-17, 07:36 PM
Contributor

Re: Riding a bike with no hands: Non-pharmaceutical treatment approaches.

Quote:
I am not sure why " Non-pharmaceutical treatment" was added to the title of this thread?

I titled this thread "Riding a bike with no hands".

I do not want this thread to be titled " :non-pharmaceutical treatment approaches", as if pharmaceutical are an option.

G
That is interesting,I'm sure it must be automatically done by software
Closed Thread