ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 01-16-17, 01:12 AM

Clouse Wilhelm is on a distinguished road
Recently diagnosed adult. Prescribed Vyvanse

Hi all. I'm new here. I am a 31 year old who has been recently diagnosed. I'm really new to this. I struggled my entire life in school, and always just figured I was lazy/stupid. I had been diagnosed as a child, but my parents didn't believe in medication. This past year I returned to college, and the daily difficulty of learning and studying returned. My sister suggested I get tested for ADHD, and sure enough, I have a pretty severe case. I have been prescribed vyvanse. I took it yesterday for the first time, and couldn't really tell much of a difference t be honest. My second dose was today however, and woah! I have never exp anything quite like this. (I also had a rather large coffee in the morning) I walked 3 miles, and made significant progress cleanly basement, and am currently lying in bed wanting to start on another project. Is this normal? I will be hon, I love bei productive. I am just a little shocked at the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clouse Wilhelm For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 02:38 AM

Danimal7291 is on a distinguished road
Re: Recently diagnosed adult. Prescribed Vyvanse

Yes it is normal. Believe it or not after awhile you'll develop a tolerance and before you know it you'll be trying to chase that high by trying to get a higher dose. Don't be fooled! The woah energy euphoric kick is not what you're looking for, just subtle changes with focus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Danimal7291 For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 05:08 AM

stefiqeg is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome

The difference can be huge, yes. Did you feel wired? It can take a few of days to get used to, just make sure you eat and sleep well.

I have to be really careful with coffee when taking stimulants or I'll get anxious and can't sleep. Also my blood pressure get too high. With no or little coffee I sleep much better when taking stimulants.

One thing that took me years to figure out: For me it's super important to take stimulant meds consistently and not "as needed". Other than focus/motivation/energy the meds help me a lot with irritability and sleep. And inconsistent medication does the opposite...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stefiqeg For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-16-17), Pilgrim (01-16-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-17, 07:43 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,284 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal7291 View Post
Yes it is normal. Believe it or not after awhile you'll develop a tolerance and before you know it you'll be trying to chase that high by trying to get a higher dose. Don't be fooled! The woah energy euphoric kick is not what you're looking for, just subtle changes with focus.
Tolerance is not as common as you make it sound and I dont think the op is chasing a high after 2 days on the medication.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-16-17), Little Missy (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 08:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse Wilhelm View Post
... wanting to start on another project. Is this normal? I will be hon, I love bei productive.
It is your wave. Just surf it!

The only tolerance you will build up is that you get used to the med
and your level of dosage adjustment and felt effectiveness should
become subtle. What is your dosage?

CBD-votary
Old 01-16-17, 08:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies thus far guys!

I do suspect the coffee added an extra (and probably unneeded) kick of energy. I will probably forego the coffee, at least for awhile until I get a handle on this. I want to avoid as many side effects as possible. I'm definitely not interested in a high per se, although I must admit, feeling as though I can conquer the world, and then actually doing it was a first for me. I have always had the ability to be ambitious, but actuality getting things done this proficiently is certainly new. In the end I just want to be able to focus on my school work, and in turn learn. I have worked incredibly hard to get into my program, so I'm hoping to make the best of it.
Old 01-16-17, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C15H25N3O View Post
It is your wave. Just surf it!

The only tolerance you will build up is that you get used to the med
and your level of dosage adjustment and felt effectiveness should
become subtle. What is your dosage?
I'm on 30mg once a day. I am certainly planning on taking advantage of this while it lasts to get some much needed work done.

The one thing I will say is I'm not sleeping well on it, but I don't feel tired once the medication kicks in. That's just odd to me. I hope my sleeping pattern returns.
Old 01-21-17, 10:33 AM
Jr Member

owias12 is on a distinguished road

I started taking 30 mg. a day almost 4 months ago. It has definitely helped me. The first week I felt the racing heart and the feeling that I had drank two pots of coffee. After the first week, I couldn't even tell I was taking the medication. My real concern right now is the fact that I feel alot of joint pain and my hair is thinning out and falling out more. I used to have very long thick hair, but it has thinned significantly and it comes out in small clumps. I have been taking Magnesium to help with the joint pain, which has helped to reduce it. I'm torn on whether I want to keep taking this medication. Adderall didn't work for me. Vyvanse is definitely better, but not sure I like these few side effects. I figured I made it 44 years without the medication, I can probably make it the rest of my life without it.
Old 01-21-17, 10:47 PM

WDJ1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse Wilhelm View Post
I'm on 30mg once a day. I am certainly planning on taking advantage of this while it lasts to get some much needed work done.

The one thing I will say is I'm not sleeping well on it, but I don't feel tired once the medication kicks in. That's just odd to me. I hope my sleeping pattern returns.
I just started on 40mg about four days ago. I had the exact same initial reaction of not wanting it to end, since it was the most focused I've ever felt. I literally didn't/couldn't sleep an entire day and I don't feel tired. I know the body is just adjusting and then it's about figuring out the dosage and timing. These forums have been helpful and now my concern is not figuring out the right mix to make myself finally have hope that I can get this under control.