ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-17, 01:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHDsim is on a distinguished road
Is this really hypomania?

Hi, so

For all intents and purposes I only cycle on a day to day basis, my hypomania tends to only happen at the late hours of night 11pm+ Resulting in a very tired me the next day.

so.... I've committed some bad crimes against property in the wee hours (just because?) I thought maybe it was just impulse control from ADHD, I don't know what kind of idiot would do such a thing? I know this idiot wasn't in control...

I see myself as so much better looking when I'm feeling good and rather ugly when I'm down?

When I'm feeling good I receive a lot of doe-eyes from women, I assume because of confidence? Or my mood? (or I am deluded) but I feel good and let's just say ALOT of girlfriends over the years...

I think I try to trigger hypomania? I could be stable but I kinda say to myself "**** it lets have some fun" turn up the music, and I do all those things that give me a buzz (no drugs).

Does it sound like hypomania And bipolar2 or cyclothymia?

Just saying I've had pretty bad depression once or twice every year for past 15 years *cough*

I think Dexedrine might be helping a lot but also causing more "triggers" would that be fair to say? It stabilisers me more but kinda lowers my threshold for triggers?
Old 02-02-17, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Is this really hypomania?

Some of my crimes were possibly whilst being drunk, I just feel driven for whatever reason revenge? Or fun?

I did this stuff before I was even on Dexedrine... A lot of it was whilst using an SSRI.

And I never ever physically harmed someone..
Old 02-02-17, 02:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Oh and yeah the times when I was so depressed that I would do amazingly stupid acts to feel alive and good again... Trigger my version of hypomania and then wake up majorly depressed.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-17, 04:19 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,965 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I think how you word the definition of hypomania, and how you decide "is this hypomania or not", is just a secondary question. I think the essential thing is finding solutions and strategies that work for you, right here, right now - making your life better and healthier and with a lot less times of feeling driven to do regrettable things.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 02-02-17, 04:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,471 Times in 13,582 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I think according to the official definition it has to last for at least 3 days to he called hypomania. I'm not sure why 3 days though. It seeks a bit arbitrary.

When I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 2 the psychiatrist told me that daily mood swings or fluctuations in a day are also common in bp though I think that in my case my mood swings are caused by emotional dysregulation due to adhd.

Have you seen a psychiatrist or any professional avout this? I wonder if it's related to dex ( or to dex wearing off at night). Stimulants can trigger hypomania or mania.

When I was taking SSRIs I was hypomania during the day and then crashed badly into depression at night. Every night.
Old 02-04-17, 04:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you both.

Yes I understand hypomania is suppose to last for 3 days to be defined as such but I go to sleep and never wake up in a hypomanic state.

Although if I was "hypomanic" one night I'm more prone to be hypomanic the next. But it's one that stops and starts.
Old 02-04-17, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

I am diagnosed ADHD-PI, ASD, high intelligence (suffering from it, thanks a lot).

I know I have a small bi-polarity, some synesthesia and many others psychiatric classifications.

When I dont sleep at night and meet people the next day they usually ask me if I had
a great sleep because I look great and recovered. I wondered all my life about that.

Some months ago I had an appointment with my doc and I could absolutely not sleep
that night. I was in a very bad condition and decided to take my Vyvanse because I
did not want to miss my appointment.

I talked to him euphoric with a kind of hyper-self-esteem about experiencing a sudden
healing from a not percepted anxiety-disorder adding CBD-oil to Vyvanse and he stopped
me to tell me "No critics, you should know this is a state of hypomania".

My conclusion is I can trigger a state of tiny but healthy hypomania when I dont
sleep at night and I can trigger obvious hypomania when I dont sleep but use
amphetamines when I try to convince some one else.

Guys, I cannot write about my new med in every single post but it not only
balances my hyperactivity, impulsivity, makes me able to stay on tasks, treats
my back pain, switches my inner lights on, activates and motivates me. I also
balances and reduces my dysphoria and euphoria – and hopefully also has an
anti-inflamatory effect on my pills-induced stomach acid reflux. its amazing!

CBD-votary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C15H25N3O For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-04-17), Little Missy (02-04-17)
Old 04-02-18, 12:25 AM

Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,808 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDsim View Post
Hi, so

For all intents and purposes I only cycle on a day to day basis, my hypomania tends to only happen at the late hours of night 11pm+ Resulting in a very tired me the next day.

so.... I've committed some bad crimes against property in the wee hours (just because?) I thought maybe it was just impulse control from ADHD, I don't know what kind of idiot would do such a thing? I know this idiot wasn't in control...

I see myself as so much better looking when I'm feeling good and rather ugly when I'm down?

When I'm feeling good I receive a lot of doe-eyes from women, I assume because of confidence? Or my mood? (or I am deluded) but I feel good and let's just say ALOT of girlfriends over the years...

I think I try to trigger hypomania? I could be stable but I kinda say to myself "**** it lets have some fun" turn up the music, and I do all those things that give me a buzz (no drugs).

Does it sound like hypomania And bipolar2 or cyclothymia?

Just saying I've had pretty bad depression once or twice every year for past 15 years *cough*

I think Dexedrine might be helping a lot but also causing more "triggers" would that be fair to say? It stabilisers me more but kinda lowers my threshold for triggers?
The pattern of symptoms does not really sound hypomanic-- you are describing isolated episodes of higher arousal.

Ive had something similar myself- some nights I have gone to bed and found myself restless and unable to sleep. It is difficult to predict or manage but the sleep loss has left me very knocked around the next day.

To qualify as a hypomanic episode it does have to go on at least 3 days, and the pattern of waking up refreshed despite a number of nights of terrible sleep is characteristic.

I was getting very frustrated at these episodes as I have had plenty of successful practice with relaxation and meditation techniques- but these episodes resisted that. Equally I was usually rather vague- and unable to employ relaxation techniques well.

Only recently I found out that the cause is clearly a pattern where my thoracic spine gets locked into a hunched posture (I am usually pretty straight due to the meditation) and this excites a big stress response. The challenge had been isolating the primary cause as I have had lots of issues with back pain and it was almost impossible to figure out which part of the back was the problem.

Also-the pattern of being more attractive when feeling good is common. Your body language is better and it cues better responses from others.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

Old 04-05-18, 02:45 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,744 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

@OP

I have not read all the responses so perhaps I am repeating something that has already been said.

People are prone to bad moods when they are sleep deprived. Contrary to the popular notion propagated by the ca..... system, 6 hours of sleep is not "adequate" and 4 hours is not "something to be proud of"

The majority of people need between SEVEN (7) & NINE (9) hours of sleep per night.

So, supposing you wake up at 7 AM each day, you should be in bed by between 10 PM and midnight, depending on how much sleep you need.

Personally I need more.. ~10 hours.

If you suffer from Insomnia you should see a doctor about getting something to help you with that.

For many, a simple older-generation antihistamine such as doxylamine succcinate does the trick. If that fails you will require something stronger and scheduled like xanax(alprazolam) or restoril(temazepam). I have also heard good things about melatonin, but have never used it personally.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (04-09-18)
Old 04-09-18, 10:54 PM

Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,808 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
@OP

I have not read all the responses so perhaps I am repeating something that has already been said.

People are prone to bad moods when they are sleep deprived. Contrary to the popular notion propagated by the ca..... system, 6 hours of sleep is not "adequate" and 4 hours is not "something to be proud of"

The majority of people need between SEVEN (7) & NINE (9) hours of sleep per night.

So, supposing you wake up at 7 AM each day, you should be in bed by between 10 PM and midnight, depending on how much sleep you need.

Personally I need more.. ~10 hours.

If you suffer from Insomnia you should see a doctor about getting something to help you with that.

For many, a simple older-generation antihistamine such as doxylamine succcinate does the trick. If that fails you will require something stronger and scheduled like xanax(alprazolam) or restoril(temazepam). I have also heard good things about melatonin, but have never used it personally.
Fully agree on the need for sleep. Sleep deprivation is a great way to mimic hypomanic symptoms or to precipitate a hypomanic episode-- especially if you try to cover for it by pushing the stimulants.

Unfortunately, in my own case, I have covered the full list of sleepers- using them infrequently (months without, usually at least 2-3 days between doses, never 2 nights back to back) and nothing works any more-- except, it seems yoga- (currently looking promising). The medical model of sleep disorders is rather limited however- it misses a number of important causes.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.