ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-17, 10:42 AM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Totally OT Cat question...

I'm at the end of my rope...We've got brother and sister cats here, and the female is constantly peeing on the walls instead of the litter box. Apparently this has been going on a long time, but it is getting ridiculous. She actually peed on the wall while staring me in the face, and it's not the first time.

How can I get here to use one of the three litter boxes we have here? She does #2 there, but it is constant battle to keep u with the urine spots.

I'm hoping one of you cat lovers might have an idea. I'm doing everything suggested online and still no good. The only thing that will prevent her from peeing on the building is blocking off where she pees, but it only moves the spot eventually. Scented candles to hide the stink are the boss's idea of taking care of it.
Old 03-03-17, 10:56 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,057 Times in 11,687 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Totally OT Cat question...

Could she be stressed? Is the male allowing her access to the litter trays? Has she been checked at the vet got anything being medically wrong?

When she pees, it sounds like she's standing up and quivering her tail while peeing, am I understanding right? Is she crying out while peeing? What cat litter do you use? Have you changed the cat litter at all? When did she start this behaviour?

Sorry for a million questions, just want to get an idea as to what's happening so I can help a bit better
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 09:04 PM
Contributor

DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

yes, standing up and tail quivering, no crying, I guess it's been going on for 2-3 years, as I had to rip out one totally disgusting area that was soaked with pee when I got here.. Same litter, changed daily, two other boxes downstairs that don't get used much, but she also has really made a mess of the hallway down there. The box I have upstairs is open but private. (No lid or door like the ones downstairs, they seem to prefer it over them 50 to 1)

She and her brother have all sorts of fun chasing laser pointers and each other at night. He is the dominant one, soaks up as much attention as he can, she acts hard to get but when she knows you she is all lovey dovey. He has his own soft bed, she has several spots she uses depending on the time of day. two or three are nice and soft and private.

Tidy Cat clumping litter. Lots of folks come in the store every day, she comes right up to many and gets attention, but when she has had enough, it's upstairs she goes. Hudson, on the other hand, will let people pet him all day long if he can convince them to.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-17, 09:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,318 Times in 10,269 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to be The Crab on this one. Once they start, it will not end. Your choice is how long do you wish to live this way?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 03-03-17, 11:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,619 Times in 5,595 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live with a perfectly symmetrical and exceedingly handsome tuxedo named Hudson.

He had been "fixed" and was sweet, just a little plump, always ready for touch, and he loved watching the goldfinches at the feeder from his windowsill "perch."

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (03-04-17)
Old 03-04-17, 12:31 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I used to live with a perfectly symmetrical and exceedingly handsome tuxedo named Hudson.
I once lived with two somewhat baggy sweatshirts and a cute pair of shoes.

I honestly took several seconds to figure out you weren't discussing clothing.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-17)
Old 03-04-17, 01:30 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,360 Times in 751 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

Just talked to a coworker about this for a friend's cat issues. She rescues cats and puts the new cat in a room alone with the litter box, toys, food and water until they get it. She goes in and plays with the cat of course. She claims it works!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 03-04-17, 06:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,294 Times in 13,277 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My cat would do this everytime she had a UTI. I would consider the vet for a couple of reasons: 1- they can do a uti test which is a disgusting process where they sort of take a urine sample in a very kitty cat way, and prescribe antibiotics. Sometimes there are these pills sort of like SSRI's or whatever for cats-or maybe its anxiety- but a lot of cats have pee troubles with excess anxiety. Its not like kitty valium but its something else.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
unstableAngel (03-10-17), Wuvmy3kitties (03-10-17)
Old 03-04-17, 06:32 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,057 Times in 11,687 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Also, does she use any of the litter trays? Maybe she finds it painful to use the litter tray? Have her checked at the vet then if the vet says there's nothing medically wrong, try the keeping her in one room while she learns how to use the litter tray trick
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
Old 03-04-17, 11:48 AM
Contributor

Yup, she does use the litter tray where I spend my day....It is open topped, as opposed to those litter boxes that look like a pet carrier.

One other thing she does, is she eats very fast, then pukes up whatever she ate in a few minutes up to a half hour.maybe. I just work here, and watch the place at night so it isn't really my cat, although she thinks I'm her human. I talk to her and she winks both eyes, like she is happy and satisfied with life. She and her brother wake up in the evening and want to play.

Hudson is the most amazing gymnast of a cat I've seen....He gets places in the store I would never have thought he could climb or jump to.

It is like she is trying to tell me something, as when she did it the other day, she had just woken up and came to the kitchen to say hi....and was looking at me the whole time.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but she and here brother were rescues, and have been in the store since they were very young...(About 4 years now) They actually have their own Facebook page I am told....Delaware is the female who likes other cat owners and women, Hudson is everyone's favorite.

I believe she has been taken to the vet for the food issue, and there is nothing really wrong with her that rationing the food slowly wouldn't cure. That's a case of training the humans to stop feeding so much at a time. Her brother will stop when he is no longer hungry, she will eat as fast as possible and as much as she thinks she can hold. They always have a full water dish , and a self feeder of kibble, but the tradition here has been to give them a can of soft food daily.

Thanks for the help so far....I'm going to recommend a vet visit again to the boss.

Last edited by DJ Bill; 03-04-17 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: umm.....like I left a few letters out . ADHD-PI!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-04-17), midnightstar (03-04-17), Wuvmy3kitties (03-10-17)
Old 03-10-17, 01:55 PM
Suspended Account

Wuvmy3kitties will become famous soon enough

Definitely get her to a vet. Is she spayed?
Old 03-10-17, 07:48 PM

unstableAngel will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Totally OT Cat question...

Get to vet asap!! Urinating ouside the box as well as vomiting are signs that something is wrong. I recently lost my baby to kidney failure ((. Tho there are several simple illnesses to treat that could be the cause as well. I used to work at an animal hospital, cannot believe i missed the signs of my babies illness. He was always weird as he was a rescue, who'd been returned 6 times!!! Best of luck to you & hope ur baby is well soon!
DJ Bill (03-11-17), Wuvmy3kitties (03-11-17)