ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-06-17, 05:54 PM

Obsessive_ADD is on a distinguished road
What kind of job/career pays decent but doesn't require much reading or conversation?

Are there any middle class jobs/careers in the modern world that don't require much reading or following conversation? English is my first language and I'm a fairly articulate speaker but I am terrible at reading and often have trouble following extended conversations (particularly group conversations). Receiving information through auditory means is a relative strength according to my neuropsych evaluation but it's also problematic in the real-world because you can only ask people to repeat themselves so many times whereas you can typically re-read stuff when you keep getting lost. Any ideas?

Old 04-06-17, 07:02 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What kind of job/career pays decent but doesn't require much reading or conversat

Take notes?

I think it would be easier by far to solve this problem head on, than to avoid it.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 04-07-17, 05:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Re: What kind of job/career pays decent but doesn't require much reading or conversat

someplace quite would be good,,,, art.... computer...work .....
Old 04-08-17, 05:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Those technicians that do echocardiograms and ekgs. Got to chit chat with the customers but it's not like you have to retain that info.

You do have to listen and read when learning but once you get the hang of it, there should be a lot less of that. I can't imagine a job almost competently devoid of listening and reading except something like a janitor or security guard.

There may be other medical tech jobs where there is even less needing to do that. I do worry about technology taking over jobs within the next 10-20 years but not sure which jobs would be eliminated.
Old 04-08-17, 11:43 AM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

Radiology technician, X-ray technician, graphic design.

I loved studying the electromagnetic spectrum in school. Cosmic rays were my favorite.
Old 04-08-17, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

Freelance software engineering. Freelance graphic design. I think most communication is done over email so you could use text to speech software to listen to the emails being read to you. You're probably going to have to meet with your boss or team 1-4 times a month for about an hour and people often meet over Hangouts or Skype, which means you can record the meetings.

You could also try working as a freelance transcriber. I'm not sure how well it pays, but you get to listen to people speak and transcribe the audio into text. You can pause it whenever you feel like you're getting lost and listen to the audio as many times as you need.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..