ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 04-11-17, 09:42 AM

Danibee is on a distinguished road
Question Meeting this afternoon to discuss school's independent testing

So, the big meeting is this afternoon at Daughter9's school to review the school's independent testing. I requested a copy of the report prior to the meeting, but it didn't tell me anything. She tested average at everything, and showed her poor grades and documented her "issues" from the teachers. It did not have any recommendations on the report.

Any suggestions for the meeting? Things you thought of after, things you wish you had said/didn't say, etc?

I'm going to ask if I can record the meeting on my phone so I can reference it later. I also plan to keep relatively quiet during the meeting and not get into any argumentative discussions should they arise. I'm thinking I will request another meeting in a week so we have the time to digest and think about the recommendation before responding.

Any advice??

Last edited by Danibee; 04-11-17 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-11-17, 12:00 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all
Re: Meeting this afternoon to discuss school's independent testing

I assume your daughter is ADHD diagnosed? Hopefully the school has the letter from the doctor. If they don't you need to bring it or she won't qualify for an IEP as Otherwise health impaired.

The report won't make recommendations on a health issue, they are not doctors and will get sued if they try to say what needs to be done. What are you wanting done?

They will try to say she is average. You will bring up her grades. They will say maybe a 504? Keep in mind that unless you agree they can't do it. I went through about 5 of these meetings before I learned that if I wanted an IEP it had to me not settling for anything less. We even had to have a meeting about the possibility of an IEP before the actual IEP meeting...it was literally a meeting about if to have a meeting!

They will typically not schedule another meeting for 60 days in most cases so you have to say what you want TODAY. For me it was co-taught classes because my son was spacing out during class and having 2 teachers worked better for him. What do you want?
Old 04-11-17, 12:36 PM

My apologies, yes my daughter has been diagnosed and the school does have that information from the doctor. I have some ideas of what might help her, but I haven't taken the time to write anything up formally. I have all my research along with me, everything on the statutes recommendations for IEP's sample accommodations etc. unfortunately my husband is unable to attend due to a work emergency. So I'm at it on my own, although that's probably a good thing considering my husband's ADHD as well and very impulsive. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-17, 01:49 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Gotcha. Well, they will probably want to start with a 504 to see if that helps. They will tell you it is just the same as the IEP, it isn't. The IEP is a federal law, the 504 is more like "well, he/she falls under the Americans with disabilities act, so we have to make some accommodations like a ramp for wheelchairs."....if teachers don't follow the 504...oh well they were more like helpful guidelines. If teachers don't follow the IEP the school gets sued....they are THAT different.

If your child is pre 6th grade I would say you could TRY different things on the 504 to see what helps and what doesn't. That may be easier because the process is less formal so it's easier to change things. It's also cheaper for the school if you go the 504 route, so that is what they want. However, if your kid is 6th or beyond I would suggest you push for "team taught" classes, or sometimes they are called co-taught. Two teachers in one room, one teaches and the other one focuses the kids on the teacher. Smaller classes, more streamlined teaching. My son went from failing everything, except math and gym, to straight A's and B's. Freaking miracle classes!

By the way IEP is technically special ed, don't let the sound of it scare you. I would ask about team taught classes, extra time on tests, tests in a separate room, and a two day extension on not turned in assignments. That has been VERY helpful because my kid just forgets about this stuff or leaves it at home, or looses it and this gives him an extra 2 days to hand it in and get full credit. Also, if she has books ask for an extra set for YOUR house, that way it doesn't matter if she forgot them in her locker and it's time to study for a test.

I have my Tier III meeting for my second grader today, looks like she will be going the route of an IEP like her brother....Lord help me!
Old 04-11-17, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,881 Times in 11,053 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can tape record the meeting. Someone will be taking notes
and they will pass around those notes at the end for everyone to initial. If you
don't agree with something or think they've left something out, you don't have
to sign it until that has been discussed further. Once a plan has been agreed on,
everyone will be given a copy (parents, teachers, counselor, principal).

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-14-17, 02:13 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibee View Post
So, the big meeting is this afternoon at Daughter9's school to review the school's independent testing. I requested a copy of the report prior to the meeting, but it didn't tell me anything. She tested average at everything, and showed her poor grades and documented her "issues" from the teachers. It did not have any recommendations on the report.

Any suggestions for the meeting? Things you thought of after, things you wish you had said/didn't say, etc?

I'm going to ask if I can record the meeting on my phone so I can reference it later. I also plan to keep relatively quiet during the meeting and not get into any argumentative discussions should they arise. I'm thinking I will request another meeting in a week so we have the time to digest and think about the recommendation before responding.

Any advice??
How did it go?
Old 04-19-17, 01:12 PM

Sorry - haven't had time to come back and update. Meeting went really well! They recommended an IEP!
The Following User Says Thank You to Danibee For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-19-17)
Old 04-19-17, 01:22 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Sorry - haven't had time to come back and update. Meeting went really well! They recommended an IEP!
VERY happy to hear that!
Old 04-20-17, 03:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,297 Times in 13,279 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just wanted to say that its important for you to communicate often with the teachers and stay on top of them. Some teachers blow off the IEP stuff and your child can still suffer. I used to send back and forth a compostion book that I called the "communication" notebook so the teacher and I could touch base everyday. If your child's teachers are open to suggestions it can be really helpful.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.