ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-17, 05:15 PM

igorcarajo is on a distinguished road
Greetings

Hello,

I am the father of a 14 year old girl who was recently diagnosed with ADHD. My kid had been struggling with school for the last couple of years, and this year (8th grade) it's getting worse and worse, and she just kind of gave up trying. According to the psychologist who diagnosed her, her executive function is somewhat impaired, I guess. She forgets to do her homework, and even if we remind her and help her do it, the next day she forgets to turn it in. After the diagnosis by the psychologist, her pediatrician put her on Adderall XR, 10 mg (generic). That was four weeks ago. Two weeks later we didn't see any changes at all in her behavior, and we notified the doctor, who increased the dosage to 20 mg. She's been on that dose for a couple of weeks now, and we are still waiting for the teachers to give us feedback, but I'm not very optimistic by looking at her grades.

This has been a pretty big struggle for my wife and I. I wish I could find a support group in Austin, TX. Thanks.
Old 04-26-17, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Re: Greetings

would be more than happy to chat with her if it helpet her......remember her grades are not the end all and be all,
Old 04-27-17, 12:33 PM
Contributor

KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of

Good luck with the new Diagnosis!

Usually the main 2 drugs are DextroAmphetamine based (Adderall, etc) and MethylPhenidate based (Ritalin, etc).

If the Adderall doesn't work out, there's a good chance the other one will.

And even if not, there are a lot of other options as well. Vyvanse is a newer drug compared to the others, but its been out good 7-8 years iirc. I just got switched to it and for me it works better than the Ritalin-based Concerta.

ADHD medications are some of the most well-researched drugs, because of their increase in use. Finding the right drug may take time, but it will be oh so worth it, for you and your family.

Best of luck!!

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-17, 01:00 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,229 Times in 11,127 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation

Welcome and good luck
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
Old 04-27-17, 01:04 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,882 Times in 13,065 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorcarajo View Post
Hello,

I am the father of a 14 year old girl who was recently diagnosed with ADHD. My kid had been struggling with school for the last couple of years, and this year [/quote
Is she getting accommodations at school? If not, she should be. Have you thought about an IEP? This can be invaluable because it will affect how she is graded- being graded on how she demonstrates what she knows vs some standard grading scale.

Quote:
According to the psychologist who diagnosed her, her executive function is somewhat impaired, I guess.
Well... its not I guess, its 100% absolutely! She forgets to do her homework, and even if we remind her and help her do it, the next day she forgets to turn it in. After the diagnosis by the psychologist, her pediatrician put her on Adderall XR, 10 mg (generic).
Can I ask why you are using a peds doctor and not a psychiatrist? Thats sort of like needing makeup lessons and going to a house painter.

Quote:
That was four weeks ago. Two weeks later we didn't see any changes at all in her behavior, and we notified the doctor, who increased the dosage to 20 mg. She's been on that dose for a couple of weeks now, and we are still waiting for the teachers to give us feedback, but I'm not very optimistic by looking at her grades.
YOU HAVE to make them give you feedback by inserting yourself into the situation and asking questions and expecting answers. At least until you get an IEP where everything is spelled out, you are her advocate.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.