ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-17, 07:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,676 Times in 2,429 Posts
Hermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond repute
Quitting smoking

Just to keep me on the right track and not to put it off, I hereby announce that May 1 2017 will be the date I will quit smoking. So on April 30 I will smoke my last cigarette, to then give it up for good.

Some important reasons to quit:

Smoking increases my anxiety
Smoking is bad for my health and my physical shape
Smoking costs a lot of money
Smoking causes cancer
Smoking ages the skin

What I'm going to do instead of smoking:
Meditation, taking a few deep breaths every time I want to smoke
Reach out to people (phone, internet etc.)
Walking
Drinking tea
Healthy eating

Ready for the next challenge in living healthy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-28-17), Fuzzy12 (04-28-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17), Unmanagable (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 07:54 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,789 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Quitting smoking

Congrats, Herm. That was my chosen nicotine quit date, too, 11 years ago. You can do it!!

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-28-17), Hermus (04-28-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17), stef (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 10:22 AM

ElectraHeart is on a distinguished road

Gum really helps too!!
Keeps your mouth stimulated!!
I think it's good when you feel anxious too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElectraHeart For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-28-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-17, 10:56 AM

Thanked 14,513 Times in 6,484 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

And that was my day of sobriety, in 2001.

I wish you well, Hermus.

I do not smoke, but I do vape.

Nicotine minus the physical components, the burning, and the components produced while burning can be a pleasure.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-28-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17), stef (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 11:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,053 Times in 14,232 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you Hermus. You are brave to undertake such a thing when you are still newly sober. I hope it works out. Sadly I am still not there yet. I am so afraid that stopping will make me want to drink. Even though I have a solid sober life, there is a part of me that wonders if I will always need to be addicted to something and its a matter of harm reduction. I was told major changes are viable at five years. I was told not major changes the first year and life overhaul changes at five. The reason being that you have managed to live sober enough time that its almost like it had always been that way. That means I have less then a year left before five years.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-28-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17), stef (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 12:02 PM

Hermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Good luck to you Hermus. You are brave to undertake such a thing when you are still newly sober. I hope it works out. Sadly I am still not there yet. I am so afraid that stopping will make me want to drink. Even though I have a solid sober life, there is a part of me that wonders if I will always need to be addicted to something and its a matter of harm reduction. I was told major changes are viable at five years. I was told not major changes the first year and life overhaul changes at five. The reason being that you have managed to live sober enough time that its almost like it had always been that way. That means I have less then a year left before five years.
To me quitting is not such a major change. Before I went sober almost seven months ago, I had quitted smoking for one and a half year. Only after that I picked up again. I do take into account that my cravings for alcohol might increase somewhat, but from the position where I am now I think that I can deal with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 12:56 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,965 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to your new better-smelling forum posts.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-28-17), Hermus (04-28-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 04:42 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,077 Times in 7,002 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Dude...MUCH respect for you! It sounds like you're quitting for yourself too...which is really important. It's hard to stick to a quit when you're doing it for anyone other than your own self.

Quitting is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. It was a HUGE self-esteem booster for me and damn...it's hella nice not to be chained down to the nasty sticks anymore.
It does take some time...I had to white knuckle my way through many a crave...but given enough time...you'll start to realize how much easier it gets. You'll be sitting there and come a realization, that you haven't had a real crave...in weeks!

My advice is to love your quit. Be proud of it...brag about it, cheer for yourself, celebrate it. Treat it like a friend instead of your enemy.

And don't think you have to go it alone either...quitnet.com is a site that helped me TREMENDOUSLY during my quit. The site is set up completely differently now...but there's still thousands of active members who are there every hour of every single day fully ready to give out wonderful support. It's actually really lovely for me to stop by once in awhile, cause there's still people active I knew years ago when I myself was a daily active member. I love those people! <3
Also...don't be afraid to give others advice and support if you can! Doing so can really help strengthen your own commitment!

I'm happy for you!
Just stick with it...and I promise it gets SO much easier in time!
Another piece of advice early on that helped me...was someone telling me that the physical craves only last for less than a minute. That's it. You just have to get through that 1 minute...and then after that you should be able to distract yourself to switch your focus (which is important).

Oh...and also...you're going to find that you have a WHOLE heck of a lot more spare time as well. I like the ideas you already have in place, especially the walking. That did a lot for me early in my quit.

(((((((Herms)))))))

I'd wish you luck...but luck isn't what you need here. So instead I'll wish you pride! Be proud of what you're doing and this WILL be your forever quit!

N.O.P.E.
Not One Puff Ever

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-29-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17), stef (04-29-17)
Old 04-28-17, 07:58 PM

fisherfisher will become famous soon enough

Good for you man! I was just over on killthecan kicking around the idea of quitting dip or at least cutting back but I always come up with compelling excuses to put it off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fisherfisher For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-29-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 08:42 PM

Thanked 29,261 Times in 13,497 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes from me too. Walking helped me tons as well. Everytime I craved a cigarette or felt restless I took a walk. Whenever possible. Sometimes even just getting up fr my desk and getting a glass of water helped. I also did time of other exercise. Swimming, squash, etc..it was really fun till I sprained my ankle big time and was on crutches for 3 months. ...

Anyway I digress....

So just:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-29-17), Letching Gray (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 10:34 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
Congrats, Herm. That was my chosen nicotine quit date, too, 11 years ago. You can do it!!

Congratulations Unm
Old 04-28-17, 10:36 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

You can do anything you decide you are going to do. and then some
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-29-17)
Old 04-28-17, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermus View Post
To me quitting is not such a major change. Before I went sober almost seven months ago, I had quitted smoking for one and a half year. Only after that I picked up again. I do take into account that my cravings for alcohol might increase somewhat, but from the position where I am now I think that I can deal with them.
Almost 7 months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-29-17)
Old 04-29-17, 02:19 PM

I'm considering piling up on junk food for the first few days from Monday. It should help me to get through my worst withdrawal.
Old 04-29-17, 04:32 PM

Okay. My supermarket has chicken strips, green salad and B&Js on sale from Monday. Exactly what I would choose as my last meal, or what I would eat if I quit smoking. This can't be a coincidence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-29-17), stef (04-29-17)