ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-17, 10:21 PM

Star257 is on a distinguished road
Smile I always knew I was add. Now confirmed

Hello everyone. I joined 2 days ago. I was wanting to have a clear understanding of add. My experience with others. Hopefully I can understand myself better. This is my 3rd day on vyvance. I expected a miricle lol. Now I see it's a process. I learned that here. I look forward to each new day now still hoping to find changes. I have really but I had to take the time to really think about it. I am 56 yrs of age. A female. Also suffering from bi polar. I am beginning to think that some of my symptoms were not related to bi polar but add. I am looking forward to anything I learn here and getting to know some of you.
Old 04-29-17, 10:30 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,087 Times in 6,302 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I always knew I was add. Now confirmed

Welcome to the forum Star! Enjoy
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Star257 (04-29-17)
Old 04-29-17, 10:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,167 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Star257 (04-29-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 05:22 PM

Cabinfever is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm new here too.

I feel can relate. I too suspect some of my 'bipolarism' is in fact not bipolar at all and never was. I think it can be difficult to tease out the root cause of mood issues when you experience a combination of symptoms, some which may actually be patterns and responses that developed as a result of having an ADHD mind.

I think about how my cycling from deep interest, enthusiasm and motivation for one topic (ADHD like) to deep depression, frustration and apathy (from having ADHD, PTSD - and from being a hormonal 13 year old girl) made me look pretty darn bipolar to the non-experts around me. I think when you have the capacity to be an unusually peppy, energetic or upbeat person some of the time, but then experience dramatic (but quickly shifting) lows as well, everyone just automatically thinks "Bipolar rapid cycling or NOS," and sometimes they don't take their line of reasoning any farther than that.

I'm not a doctor (just someone else with a dual diagnosis) but I would encourage you to continue to explore whether or not bipolar disorder is in fact a proper diagnosis for you, especially if Vyvanse works well for you or you find that after reading up on ADHD, that it sounds very much like you.
(For me it was like an Eureka! moment realizing that other people - people with ADHD - were describing what I thought were my unique personality quirks and deeply embedded flaws, and attributing those tendencies to ADHD)

The difference in diagnosis matters because it directs the medications which your physician (hopefully a psychiatrist) will be willing to try with you. I was never prescribed appropriate medication when I was younger because my doctor was convinced it would cause psychosis due to my 'childhood bipolar' disorder.

Turns out I probably didn't benefit from years and years of lithium, depakote, lamictal and various anti-psychotic medications. I now have some serious health problems that are directly linked to my usage of those medications as a pre-pubescent girl and there have been huge warnings issued by the FDA to that effect in subsequent years. I was told by my DR. that stimulant meds are the most researched type of psychiatric medication and have some of the least long-term side effects and possible health complications.

That said, there does seem to be an obvious difference in the response of an individual with ADHD to stimulants, than an individual without ADHD... and different ADHD meds work on different people. For example, I have taken Ritalin (which did nothing for me), Vyvanse (which made me really sick and wasn't very effective) Concerta (which also made me feel really depressed and physically ill) and Adderall (the med I currently take). Even then, there is a huge difference for me between the effectiveness of the instant release version of Adderall and the extended release version.

Bottomline: Everyone is different. If you start to get to reading and feel that ADHD seems very familiar to your own life, you might not want to stop with Vyvanse if it doesn't work out. It's easy to say, "No. I guess not. Vyvanse didn't work so It's not ADHD," when in reality Vyvanse, Ritalin, Adderall -whatever the pill may be- doesn't rule out ADHD.

And, Dr's also like to prescribe you versions of ADHD meds that you can't get addicted to first (even if they have been proven less effective - or not effect at all - in some cases) before moving on to some of the tried-and-true stimulant medications. I'm not saying that's wrong. Stimulant addiction is a huge problem that destroys lives, but for someone with ADHD it can be a Godsend... and it feels mean for the Dr.'s withhold from someone who really needs it.

Anyways, I have found a lot of interesting articles on this site which have helped me understand myself better, as have listening to the personal stories of other people with ADHD. I feel a little more connected to the world when I realize that I am not struggling in this alone. I'm hope your journey is enlightening! Good luck