ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-17, 09:19 PM

KaitlynS is on a distinguished road
Kaitlyn, Florida, USA

Hi everyone. I have been looking around this forum for the past week or two and I decided to start posting and getting more involved.

I am a college student who believes she has ADHD. I am waiting for an appointment later this month with a psychiatrist to talk about this, and I am hoping to start taking some medication if they think I do have this.

My biggest problems are with attention especially while having conversations and reading. During conversations beyond a few sentences I tend to space out and also for some reason sometimes I just can't seem to process what is being said, so I can't think of what to say. Like, I will hear what is said, I know what the words mean, but my mind just can't think of what is being said or asked.

I usually have to have the other person repeat themselves and that doesn't help much. I feel like this has hurt my ability to be close with anyone even family. I usually spend a lot of time by myself and I am not close with anyone, even though I want to be. It tends to be a lot easier though if I am talking with just one other person and there are few/no distractions.

The problem I have with reading is that I constantly read a sentence or paragraph and then I have no idea what I just read. I can read it a dozen times and still have little idea of what I read. I do have an easier time when reading something interesting, but considering I am a college student with boring textbooks I have a lot of troubles at school. I feel like I have to do a lot more than others just to get the same grades.

I also have other things I could go into, but I don't want to make this super long. Thanks for reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to KaitlynS For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (05-12-17)
Old 05-12-17, 09:29 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,082 Times in 6,300 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kaitlyn, Florida, USA

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here. It's a great place.

I am representing S. FL as well. PBC & the 561.
Old 05-14-17, 05:56 PM

RextheDog is on a distinguished road
Re: Kaitlyn, Florida, USA

Welcome aboard! I think many of us will relate to exactly what you're talking about. I know I can relate to the reading part for sure. What a struggle for me in college and even high school. I could read a whole paragraph and then go - "That said what now?" and have to read it over again. While my friends studied for an hour or two, if I wanted to study it took me all night. I think that's when I learned to really try to focus hard in class and learn as much as I could there, so I didn't have to go to the textbook at home and spend all night re-reading stuff. And math - OMG, don't even get me started on how hard trig and algebra were for me to get. I never did get 'em. You'll like it here. People here are very understanding for the most part and non-judgemental.