ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 05-29-17, 10:10 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
resurrecting friendships after self isolating

so, this probably isn't related to my adhd diagnosis and could've gone into other co existing conditions, but i suspect those with only adhd or adhd and things i don't have might encounter this problem as well. that's why i put it here.

i have a problem doing this. a lot of it, in my case, stems from times i'm unwell or hospitalised...and to be frank, i also self isolate when i'm suicidal.

the positive is that i'm feeling much better at the moment. i do fear i've burned bridges though with people. every time i self isolate, i lose someone. and i don't really know how to stop that from happening.

does this happen to others? or something similar? how do you maintain relationships?

this isn't just offline either. even online ones have fallen apart because of it.

cheers in advance for any insight on this. xx
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (06-16-17), aeon (06-05-17), anonymouslyadd (06-04-17), ginniebean (05-30-17), namazu (05-29-17), Omnipotent (08-13-17), Pilgrim (06-04-17), psychopathetic (06-06-17), someothertime (05-30-17), Unmanagable (05-30-17)
Old 05-29-17, 10:34 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,417 Times in 10,803 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: resurrecting friendships after self isolating

Me, too. No good advice to offer, alas!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), ginniebean (05-30-17), peripatetic (05-29-17)
Old 05-29-17, 11:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

no advice to offer as it's something I want to work on as well but hugs and power to us all. for me it's a really bad depressive phase and period of acting pratty and acting out and I guess I walked away with the realization I want to be kind to everyone wo any conditions or strings attached.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobotInDisguise For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), ginniebean (05-30-17), namazu (05-29-17), peripatetic (05-29-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-17, 12:34 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's any formula. I've done this very badly and far too many times.

The main thing that I know is that a lot of my friends have been surprisingly kind about it.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), namazu (05-30-17), peripatetic (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 03:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried to apologize and own my part when this has happened to me. I explain why I was MIA but offer no further excuses.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), ginniebean (05-30-17), namazu (05-30-17), peripatetic (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 09:13 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I don't know how to maintain ongoing healthy relationships outside of self other than just interact when it feels it right, come straight from the heart, and try to communicate as kindly as possible when things don't feel right, which sometimes means simply remaining quiet and moving on.

Then there's the days of ongoing filter malfunctions when the verbal vomit potential is in full force and many things get said that probably shouldn't, creating even more awkward dynamics to navigate. Still searching for that "off/on" switch.

Feeling accepted, welcomed, and liked one day, then feeling cast aside the next and not feeling a genuine bond for whatever reason makes for even more isolating moments, especially once the mind gets a hold of those feelings and runs with it, as it so often loves to do.

Emotional regulation issues just adds more perplexing layers to peel back in our attempts to work through it all. Add multiple traumas to the mix and it gets even more interesting. We think being bullied by others is a b****, but we rarely recognize we are actively bullying our selves via our own self-talk.

It's grown to where I now prefer isolation more often than not. Isolation, to me, meaning living here in the forest and fully immersing myself in nature and trying to learn how to provide better self-care.

It doesn't feel like a bad or prohibitive thing at all, most days, rather it feels like the best nurturing time I've got, and it gives me a chance to grow lots of things, which is an area I struggled in for much of my life. I've switched my focus from people to plants, both of which can be strong medicine for the other.

So I guess my final answer is, hell if I know. lol

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Amphitrite (06-23-17), ginniebean (05-30-17), Little Missy (05-30-17), peripatetic (05-30-17), someothertime (05-30-17), stef (05-30-17), willow129 (06-16-17)
Old 05-30-17, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I would happily welcome back any friend, online or IRL, who was absent or had isolated themselves for whatever reason
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (06-16-17), aeon (06-05-17), anonymouslyadd (06-04-17), ginniebean (05-30-17), kwalk (06-03-17), Little Missy (05-30-17), peripatetic (05-30-17), someothertime (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 06:49 PM

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I have this same issue. I isolate in extreme ways. I try and fight it and then find myself fleeing into safety of aloneness all over again. I too feel I've burned bridges. I don't know how to fix this. I wish I did.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (06-16-17), aeon (06-05-17), Amphitrite (06-23-17), peripatetic (05-30-17), someothertime (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 07:49 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: resurrecting friendships after self isolating

I do this as well. It's not really related to bad periods or anything but for a lot of the time I just can't mister the 4ffort it takes (for me) to maintain a friendship with anyone.

Sometimes just too much time has passed and I just never see them again but sometimes I just do contact them. I normally start these contact attempts with apologising for not being in touch. Most people are quite forgiving but close relationships do suffer I think in the sense that we might just not be thst close anymore after so much time has passed

I think they probably might understand or rather accept that sometimes you go missing and that that is ok abd doesn't mean you don't dare about them
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (06-16-17), aeon (06-05-17), Amphitrite (06-23-17), ginniebean (06-04-17), kwalk (06-03-17), peripatetic (05-30-17), someothertime (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 10:23 PM

peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
Isolation, to me, meaning living here in the forest and fully immersing myself in nature and trying to learn how to provide better self-care.
when i self isolate, i have horrible self care practices. i definitely immerse myself in things, but they're not nature. more....thought patterns that aren't highly considered.

there's a word for it, i just am not going to say it. but, yes...i think if i managed self care whilst self isolating it'd be a whole different story. i also tend to stop leaving my house. and a lot of things. anyway...i think of what you wrote as "solitude", not isolation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (06-16-17), aeon (06-05-17), ginniebean (06-04-17), Unmanagable (05-30-17)
Old 06-04-17, 12:31 PM

Thanked 1,611 Times in 886 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been wondering the same thing. I cut off every single one of my friends starting in 2009 when I really started to go downhill. I contemplate getting back in touch but I'm not totally ready yet and even when I am, I'm not sure that I would.

I don't have any advice at all. I hope things work out for you and your friendships!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (06-16-17), Amphitrite (06-23-17), ginniebean (06-04-17), peripatetic (06-05-17), Pilgrim (06-04-17)
Old 06-04-17, 02:09 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Same

We are all the same

There is a strange comfort in that.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), Amphitrite (06-23-17), finallyfound10 (06-10-17), ginniebean (06-04-17), Little Missy (06-04-17), peripatetic (06-05-17), Pilgrim (06-04-17), stef (06-04-17)
Old 06-04-17, 04:30 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Isolation is one of the conditions needed to allow solitude, but solitude needs other conditions at the same time. When you have isolation, but solitude's other conditions are not met, then you get... something else.

Solitude includes continuing confidence in the rest of humanity, and continuing confidence in one's own belonging in society - not a "me against them" or "them against me" situation.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (01-13-18), aeon (06-05-17), finallyfound10 (06-10-17)
Old 06-05-17, 04:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its also hard when you are having a mental health issue that is reoccurring and even though you have explained it to a friend they still get upset with you for dropping off the planet.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), finallyfound10 (05-08-18), Little Missy (06-05-17), peripatetic (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Its also hard when you are having a mental health issue that is reoccurring and even though you have explained it to a friend they still get upset with you for dropping off the planet.
true... i think it's also hard for others to really grasp the nature of some chronic conditions. i think i've burned some bridges, too. what i mean by that is that i'm not entirely innocent in all cases. but then some...i don't know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), finallyfound10 (05-08-18), Little Missy (06-05-17)