ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-17, 07:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,759 Times in 12,832 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
We need a 'parents with adhd' board

I dont know if we need one but I want one. I know it's not going to happen but it is a good idea, isn't it?

I keep posting in the general parenting section but I feel like an intruder there. I think it's more for parents whose kids have adhd.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (06-10-17), Lunacie (06-10-17), namazu (06-10-17), peripatetic (06-12-17)
Old 06-09-17, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Funky1 will become famous soon enough
Re: We need a 'parents with adhd' board

As an ADHD parent of an ADHD child, I support this idea!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Funky1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-17), Lunacie (06-10-17), namazu (06-10-17)
Old 06-10-17, 07:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,278 Times in 13,266 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Add to that- a combined section.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-17), Lunacie (06-10-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-17, 10:49 AM

Thanked 23,871 Times in 11,048 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on board with the idea of a "parents with adhd" board.

My grandchild with adhd has moved out, moved away, moved on, miss her.
So I don't feel as connected with the parenting section as I used to.

But the grandchild with autism is still here and won't be going anywhere any
time soon, so I'm still co-parenting as an adhd parent. Could use the support.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-17)
Old 06-10-17, 03:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,358 Times in 749 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I'm not a parent but I FULLY support this!! I can't imagine being a parent with ADHD but I'm sure it is very difficult and support is needed every step of the way!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-17)
Old 06-12-17, 02:51 AM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I dont know if we need one but I want one. I know it's not going to happen but it is a good idea, isn't it?

I keep posting in the general parenting section but I feel like an intruder there. I think it's more for parents whose kids have adhd.
I rarely have a strong opinion, but this time I do.

NO!

Why?

I am an adult with ADHD.

There are literally THOUSANDS of ADHD forums on the web.

This is the only one that I have found that is NOT mostly about having children with ADHD - whether the parent does or does not have ADHD.

ADHD seems to be one of those issues that nobody gives a crap about until they have a child with it and only THEN do they bother to realize they have it too...which should be 100% of the time, since all the scientific data says that ADHD is inherited from one of the parents.

Please allow this forum to remain MOSTLY about ADHD in adulthood and not about parenting - whether the parent does or does not have ADHD.

I don't want my ONLY respite from "all parents all the time" to go away.

WMM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WheresMyMind For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-12-17), Fuzzy12 (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 02:53 AM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I'm not a parent but I FULLY support this!! I can't imagine being a parent with ADHD but I'm sure it is very difficult and support is needed every step of the way!!
Could you explain? Since the science says that ADHD is inherited, then every ADHD child has at least one parent with ADHD. If the science is correct, there are ZERO children with ADHD who have two non-ADHD parents. Except for adoptees, who the science claims are more prone to ADHD than non-adoptees, but science also claims the whole "separation disorder" effects of being adopted have a greater effect anyway.

WMM
The Following User Says Thank You to WheresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 03:47 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,114 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a good idea;
One section does not mean, the forums will be focused on parenting. Personally I am not really looking much at the info for children with adhd as my son is grown.

It's just that, like every aspect of life (school, work, home), parenting is going to present its specific challenges. Any schedule you may have relied on to keep sane, goes straight out the window. I wish I'd had some help at that time in my life.

And if it leads to the diagnosis of a parent, all the better!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-12-17), Lunacie (06-12-17), namazu (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 04:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresMyMind View Post

NO!

Why?

I am an adult with ADHD.

This is the only one that I have found that is NOT mostly about having children with ADHD - whether the parent does or does not have ADHD.
Then you wouldnt have to go in the parent's section.

Quote:
ADHD seems to be one of those issues that nobody gives a crap about until they have a child with it and only THEN do they bother to realize they have it too...which should be 100% of the time, since all the scientific data says that ADHD is inherited from one of the parents.
Good thing that isnt me.I was diagnosed in first grade.

Quote:
Please allow this forum to remain MOSTLY about ADHD in adulthood and not about parenting - whether the parent does or does not have ADHD.
Again, you do not have to read the parents' or parents with adhd section.

Quote:
Why would this even matter to you? you do not need to read the sections you do not want to .
I dont relate to the men with adhd section so I rarely go on that board.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (06-12-17), Fuzzy12 (06-12-17), Lunacie (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 04:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Could you explain? Since the science says that ADHD is inherited, then every ADHD child has at least one parent with ADHD. If the science is correct, there are ZERO children with ADHD who have two non-ADHD parents. Except for adoptees, who the science claims are more prone to ADHD than non-adoptees, but science also claims the whole "separation disorder" effects of being adopted have a greater effect anyway.

WMM
There is nothing to explain. We just wouldnt mind a section that parents with adhd could relate to. No one is denying the inherited parts of adhd.
Maybe YOU can explain your hostility.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (06-12-17), Fuzzy12 (06-12-17), stef (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 05:13 AM

Thanked 27,759 Times in 12,832 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

NO!

Why?

I am an adult with ADHD.

WMM
Well the reason why I would like a separate board is so that I don't post all over the place and so that people who are not interested in the specific challenges that parenting with adhd poses.

If we had a dedicated section for that then you could just completely ignore it.

I do worry that I post too much about fuzzling and that some people might yhink "what's the big deal. People deal with babies all the time. Stop fussing so much" or something along those lines. So that's another reason why a dedicated hoard would be nice. Guilt free posting!!

I'll try avoiding the general board but then the one about having kids with adhd isn't relevant either and those parents might find my threads disturbing as well.

So mods where would you suggest I post?

Also I don't get either how any of this is related to whether adhd is inherited or not...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (06-12-17), Lunacie (06-12-17), namazu (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 05:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
So that's another reason why a dedicated hoard would be nice. Guilt free posting!!
LOL fuzzy! I know it was a typo but I do not want a dedicated hoard of zombies!

Quote:
I'll try avoiding the general board but then the one about having kids with adhd isn't relevant either and those parents might find my threads disturbing as well.

Also I don't get either how any of this is related to whether adhd is inherited or not...
Do not avoid the general board or any board for the sake of one hostile member. If a thread needs to be moved, it gets moved and its no big deal. Not one of us is perfect and posts in all the right places. We all make errors. Plus, sometimes the parenting section doesnt get alot of traffic and you may have better luck in other places. When you need advice or help-you ask for it, and you want responses or you wouldnt be asking! This is why the ignore function is so important... ignore all parents so you do not see their parenting threads.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-12-17), Lunacie (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 06:43 PM

Thanked 31,854 Times in 14,350 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
hey fuzzy,

as the orange who moderates the parenting section, feel free to post there and i'll move your thread if i think it fits better elsewhere.

i find myself in a similar position. my small girl is two, so while she may well end up with adhd, my partner does not have it, she also may well not.

some of the questions i've asked i think are general ones...how do *I* as someone with adhd try to parent? some i think are women with adhd ones...mostly those i asked when pregnant...some are really about co existing conditions i have...but i've also posted in the parents of adhd children section knowing that parents generally might have sound advice there.

do what works best for you and we can sort it. feel free to message me anytime to get a second opinion on where to put a thread, too.

sometimes it's cut and dry, often it's not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (06-12-17), Fuzzy12 (06-12-17)