ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-17, 10:00 PM
Jr Member

sabres12 is on a distinguished road
First time forum participant, long time ADHDer.

Hey!

I've been diagnosed for about 9 years and this is the first time I ever though about jumping onto a forum! It's been super cool though to go through posts, and for the first time I get to hear about people just like me! Not sure why I haven't joined this sooner.

M, 30, from AB Canada. Diagnosed at 21 while in college and was prescribed stratterra (brand name, then switched to generic a few years back.) I was a total underachiever in high school. Rarely handed in assignments, slogged my way through homework (when I could do it), but managed to pass with around a C+ cause I was good at exams.

College broke me though. I'd literally try to sit down to work on an assignment and the anxiety would just get to me. I remember screaming out loud at myself once cause I couldn't sit for more than 5 minutes at a time to work on an assignment.

Had plenty of relationship issues as well. Read a post about putting significant others on a pedestal while dating and yup that was me. Then complete and utter devastation when things would eventually end.

Plenty of other social problems as well such as making and maintaining friendships. Would frequently lose focus in conversations with others and those that I would build a friendship with, they'd soon be lost as I'd always be distracted with other stuff (YouTube, video games, TV) and not arrange to hang out.

Nearly lost my job at one point during the same college period. Had to do something so started reading up on ADD/ADHD.

Work benefits were great so I was able to go to an expert for free who diagnosed me. College doc prescribed Strattera and I haven't looked back.

Started taking Strattera when I was 21 (I'm 30 now) and haven't looked back. Currently on 60mg dose daily and have been for a long time. Started on the brand name, then switched to generic atomoxetine a few years back as my insurance wouldn't cover the brand name at 100%.

It's done a lot of good for me. I've graduated college, been at the same employer for 12 years, and have had numerous promotions and lateral moves within the org.

I've gotten into a stable relationship for the past 6 years (and married her!). Life would not have been this good without the help I've received from the medication and my doctors.

Kind of at the point now where I've gotten all I can out of Strattera. Notice myself getting out of my desk more frequently than usual, heading outside for a vape break every hour. The work I'm doing now is a lot less stimulating than previous positions, so I'm guessing that is why.

Also having some impulse issues with alcohol (have had on and off for a while, but it's getting worse) so doc is going to have me give Vyvanse a try. Exciting and scary at the same time. I've never had a stimulant before to control my condition.

Looking forward to contributing to, and learning from the community on here! It's exciting to know others share similar experiences to me!
Old 06-13-17, 04:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,553 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First time forum participant, long time ADHDer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres12 View Post
Kind of at the point now where I've gotten all I can out of Strattera. Notice myself getting out of my desk more frequently than usual, heading outside for a vape break every hour. The work I'm doing now is a lot less stimulating than previous positions, so I'm guessing that is why.
Can I ask why you didnt start out or havent taken a stimulant? Was it just what the doctor said to take or did you have other choices?

Quote:
Also having some impulse issues with alcohol (have had on and off for a while, but it's getting worse) so doc is going to have me give Vyvanse a try. Exciting and scary at the same time. I've never had a stimulant before to control my condition.
Do you mean as in alcoholism or side effects of alcohol?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 06-13-17, 08:01 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Can I ask why you didnt start out or havent taken a stimulant? Was it just what the doctor said to take or did you have other choices?
It was the treatment suggested by the pshyc and doc at the time. Alternatives didn't come up and to be honest, I thought at the time that I would be judged being a college student asking for stimulants (looking back, likely wouldn't have been the case). Had some good results so stuck with it at least until this point. Bonus was, once we established there were results, my doc would write six months worth of atomoxetine at a time so I wouldn't have to stop in every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you mean as in alcoholism or side effects of alcohol?
Alcoholism. I've had struggles over the past year and a half with daily drinking and little break in between. It's part of the reason my doctor wants me to try something else. Hopefully to get a better handle on it. I feel my drinking has been brought on by boredom in the evenings after work.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-17, 04:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,553 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres12 View Post
Alcoholism. I've had struggles over the past year and a half with daily drinking and little break in between. It's part of the reason my doctor wants me to try something else. Hopefully to get a better handle on it. I feel my drinking has been brought on by boredom in the evenings after work.
And what are you doing to treat your alcoholism? I am an alcoholic in recovery and have been sober for nearly 5 years.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 06-14-17, 08:26 PM
Jr Member

Nothing as of yet. Actually just opened up to my doc about it around a week ago. Not entirely sure where to go from here... have stopped though and it's been 5 days. No bad withdrawal symptoms which is good.

We'll see if cold turkey works in the long run!

Congrats on 5 years sober! What would you say worked well for you when you were trying to quit alcohol?