ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

View Poll Results: Which One Works Better?
Methylphenidate(Concerta,Ritalin etc.) 1 20.00%
Amphetamine salts(Adderall,vyanse,dexedrine,desoxyn etc.) 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-17, 01:24 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all
Am I missing something?(Methylphenidate vs. Amphetamines)

I have started using concerta 2 years ago , i started with 36mg then my doctor increased my dosage to 54mg.

I have read a lot about ADHD, I read a lot about medications.

Ok let me enter into topic

I have doubt in my mind which annoys me

Methylphenidate is not an amphetamine salt, it is chemical structure and mechanism is more similar to cocaine

Mechanism of amphetamines are really different than both

Amphetamines can induce relase of dopamine but Methylphenidate is mostly working by inhibition of dopamine re-uptake

I am not a professional ofc

But i would like to ask people who have experience, which one is better do you think?

We dont have amphetamine salts in where i live , even if my doctor wants to prescripe it he cant
So if i had a chance of using amphetamine salts( adderall,dexedrine , vyanse , desoxyn etc.)
It could help me more than Concerta ?
Old 07-03-17, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,090 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Am I missing something?(Methylphenidate vs. Amphetamines)

Both amphetamine and methylphenidate have a long history of improving adhd
symptoms. At this time there is no way to predict which will work best for any
individual. Although GeneSight testing is showing some promise.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (07-03-17)
Old 07-03-17, 01:47 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

but we can have statistics which shows how many people got better after switching to concerta from amphetamines or reverse of it

For instance,
Lets say poll includes opinion or experience of 100 people

60 of these people were using methylphenidate but they switched to amphetamines due to methylphenidate's weak effectiveness

20 of these people were using methylphenidate , they have tried to switch to amphetamines but it didnt go well

20 of these people were using amphetamine salts, they have switched to methylphenidate and methylphenidate worked better for them

%60-40

it was just example
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-17, 01:51 PM
Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It is so weird , amphetamines are prescribed on most of countries
And mine is an exception

I have a doubt in my mind , Turkish authorities didnt approve amphetamines due to their conservative worries

It isn't paranoia, because here people are capable of doing it.
They have no idea about controlled substances , they only see them as monsters
Full of bigotry etc.

Thats why i really want to have an idea about comparison of both medicines
Old 07-03-17, 02:35 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

For me, I'm not sure if amphetamine is better than methylphenidate as it regards efficacious treatment of my ADHD, but I tolerate the side-effects of amphetamine better, and was the reason for my switch.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (07-03-17)
Old 07-03-17, 03:16 PM

Thanked 26,090 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
but we can have statistics which shows how many people got better after switching to concerta from amphetamines or reverse of it

For instance,
Lets say poll includes opinion or experience of 100 people

60 of these people were using methylphenidate but they switched to amphetamines due to methylphenidate's weak effectiveness

20 of these people were using methylphenidate , they have tried to switch to amphetamines but it didnt go well

20 of these people were using amphetamine salts, they have switched to methylphenidate and methylphenidate worked better for them

%60-40

it was just example
Until there is a way to tell which med a person will respond best to, there's
not much point in knowing which helps the largest number of people. You
may find you're in the minority, or not.

This study shows no real difference in numbers helped by either one of the
meds. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10405498

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-03-17), Emre22 (07-03-17)