ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-17, 03:16 PM

GregAld777 is on a distinguished road
Hello my fellow ADD/ADHD brothers and sisters!

My name is Greg and I am an OLD ADD/ADHD sufferer. I was born in the early 1970's and really struggled in school early on with ADD/ADHD. I clearly remember teachers telling me I was annoy and stupid. I remember them telling me to sit still (and I could never do it). Finally in the early 1980's I had an amazing Guidance Councilor that thought I might have had ADD. My parent brought to our local Children Hospital where I met a Doctor who could not sit still and was a bit spacey just like me. He was the local ADD/ADHD expert in CT and he was like me. For the first time, I felt hope!
I was put on ritalin and I was actually able to sit still and pay attention in class. I was able to read a page (without going over it 12 times because I lost my place again). I was very grateful to finally feel a little bit like everyone else in my class.
Years have passed now, I am 47, but I still struggle with ADD. However now it is predominantly inattentive type with a bit of impulsive behaviors as well. I have learned coping mechanisms (a little rhythmic heavy metal and good headphones and I can really concentrate) as well as had many failures along the way.
I am still taking medication and actually that I why I am here. I was prescribed Vyvanse. When I first took it, the drug was nothing less that remarkable. I could think, I could multi-task, I could actually have conversations without getting lost. Unfortunately I have hit the wall with it. I have read online that some doctors do not believe that our tolerance builds up. Well I seriously disagree just on my experience. I have been taking meds on and off for 35 years now. I have lived it and know it is true.
Thankfully my APRN isnt like that and is working with me. I am here looking for the experience from my fellow ADD/ADHD brothers and sisters!

Nice to meet you all!
Greg
Old 07-26-17, 05:12 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,720 Times in 8,871 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Hello my fellow ADD/ADHD brothers and sisters!

Glad you chose to be a part of the community. Quite a wide variety of experience to read about around here, along with some real nice folks, and tons of helpful info. Welcome!

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown