ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 07-27-17, 01:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
Theory of Mind and Empathy in Children With ADHD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28558473

Quote:
RESULTS:

Children with ADHD showed significantly lower levels of self-reported empathy on most IRI subscales. FPR scores were significantly lower in children with ADHD and were improved, following the administration of MPH, to a level equal to that found in healthy controls.
CONCLUSION:

Children with ADHD show impaired self-reported empathy and FPR when compared with healthy controls. Stimulants improve FPR in children with ADHD to a level equal to that in healthy controls.

Does it mean all social issues in this thread will go away with a pill ?
Old 07-28-17, 10:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,315 Times in 13,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Theory of Mind and Empathy in Children With ADHD

24 adhd kids and 36 in the controlled group? Hardly a solid long term study IMO. I mean it shows promise but its a fairly small group.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-28-17), userguide (07-29-17)
Old 07-28-17, 12:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,551 Times in 5,197 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

This is replicated stuff

Stimulants show to calm the emotional response of empathy making it easier to take another's perspective

It's not physical empathy that's bad in ADHD. It's the perspective taking. They think cause the emotions of others flood the logic part of the brain. ( that's just my dumb person way of explaining it. Smart people do it better)
Little Missy (07-28-17), Lunacie (07-28-17), poppetx (10-14-17), sarahsweets (07-28-17), someothertime (07-28-17), userguide (07-29-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-17, 12:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
This is replicated stuff

Stimulants show to calm the emotional response of empathy making it easier to take another's perspective

It's not physical empathy that's bad in ADHD. It's the perspective taking. They think cause the emotions of others flood the logic part of the brain. ( that's just my dumb person way of explaining it. Smart people do it better)
I don't get it .

What's "physical empathy" ?
What's "emotional response of empathy" ?

What's empathy in the first place and how can it be measured ?
The Following User Says Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-29-17)
Old 07-29-17, 12:46 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
I don't get it .

What's "physical empathy" ?
What's "emotional response of empathy" ?

What's empathy in the first place and how can it be measured ?
empathy starts off in as a physical reaction of mirroring another persons emotion (emotional contagion)

by feeling that emotion you can feel it with them, but it should convert (through executive) function of taking tht persons perspective

at that point you console or understand that view, by that you help to regulate their emotion
someothertime (07-29-17), userguide (07-29-17)
Old 07-29-17, 12:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ok, got your idea, but I am not buying it yet

I need to read more about the systeml.

I am starting to appreciate mild's hyperfocusing on that otherwise weird model
The Following User Says Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-29-17)
Old 07-29-17, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
Ok, got your idea, but I am not buying it yet

I need to read more about the systeml.

I am starting to appreciate mild's hyperfocusing on that otherwise weird model
oh, not really my idea though

just kinda of what the science says

just clarifying , I have my own ideas about things but i generally will say its just my opinion
userguide (07-29-17)