ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-17, 11:28 PM

Kordie is on a distinguished road
Australian ADHD

Forgive my long intro - I just feel the need to share a bit on my first post. Also kind of curious to see if I can sit still long enough to write this....

So I'm a 52 year old fellow. Just diagnosed with ADHD by my Psychiatrist who I have been seeing for ten years or so.

As a kid I was bright but lazy, naughty and easily distracted. No such thing as ADHD then so I just got all the other labels. School reports invariably identified me as smart and would do well if he applied himself. I guess that is a common experience. School to me was torturous but I finished High School. I reckon I did no study at all for my final University Entrance Exams. Doing well enough for admission to an Arts or Teaching Degree but not enough for Engineering, Medicine etc. I just couldn't bear the thought of sitting in lectures and studying so I joined the Army.

A fortuitous choice by 17 yo me. The Army provided excitement and variety and I didn't have to apply myself too much mentally. My Recruit Training report read as follows:

Recruit XXXX applied minimal effort to achieve satisfactory results. Should do well in the Army."

So I did 17 years and rose to a decent rank with over 100 soldiers under my command. I was injured and pensioned off. Stayed at home as a Dad. Tried to go to University but just procrastinated and avoided study and got nowhere. My girls are both at University now and doing well. I don't think they inherited this thing.

My life now revolves around teaching sailing and scuba diving. More adrenaline based activity which I believe is common to ADHD adults. I bought a yacht and sailed around different countries for a while. Racing is more my thing now.

Back pain, depression etc led me to start seeing the psychiatrist for pain issues 10+ years ago. I guess deep down I always knew I was ADHD but it was more a excuse I'd use when I didn't want to do something. I suspect my father and a couple of other young relatives have it too. Testing showed I am in the top percentile IQ wise except for the memory tests, bottom 50% there..... I was witched around pain and depression medication all that time. But nothing really fixed anything and some had horrible side effects.

So three days ago I was prescribed 5mg of Adderall. Whilst somewhat relieved that something is happening I was quite nervous about taking it.

Day 1 was amazing.

I felt calm and got busy. Knocked over so many jobs I got scared I was having a first manic episode. Next two days slightly less but still feel good. Of every medication I have tried, and there were a lot, this has had the most profound effect. Dr said to start on 5mg but I could go up to 15mg if I want before I see him in three weeks time. I hope that I don't need to.

He also said I'd have less noise in my head. I'm not sure that's how I feel it. But I'm not sure how to describe it just yet. I'm going to have to think about this one. I'd be interested in hearing about other folks descriptions and experiences and have spent hours in here in the month between my Dr suggesting I might be ADHD and prescribing me medication. He basically wondered if I had it, then told me I was smart enough to work it out so go off and do some reading and come back next month. Sounds a casual approach but I feel I am in control and need to be part of the decision process. After 10 years he understands me pretty well.

So what next? At my age there is no real point in starting a new career now. Besides I am financially OK so don't have to worry about that. Whilst I am curious as to what life will be like now, I don't want to get my hopes up too much at this early stage.

I look forward to being a member here and sharing my experiences.

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kordie For This Useful Post:
someothertime (08-10-17), userguide (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 06:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,902 Times in 13,075 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Australian ADHD

If he gave you permission go up to 15mg you dont have to unless 5mg doesnt work.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 07-28-17, 07:00 AM

ILoveMyDog is on a distinguished road

Hi Kordie. I've just joined too. I'm not on any other forums so new to this! I'm getting towards 50 and found out about my ADHD a couple of years ago through my own research. I appreciate it's difficult to diagnose but I'm surprised it's taken your psychiatrist 10 years to spot it, if he knows you so well. it must be nice to have that kind of long standing relationship though? i really knew nothing about the reality of ADHD until a chance encounter made me look into it. it's such a misunderstood condition, especially in women, and beforehand i really didn't know about the emotional aspect, which is probably the most uncontrollable and damaging part for me. but then i suppose it's also a result of the other parts, time dysfunction and memory and focus problems make me more unstable emotionally.

anyway,,,,sounds like you've done really well with your life in spite of your adhd. sailing and diving sounds like a good plan! good luck with the meds
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-17, 08:35 AM

That's what I figured.

Felt a bit jittery tonight. Early days so far.
Old 07-28-17, 08:35 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,440 Times in 2,989 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing our story.

And as for your question, i think it would be wise to facilitate outlets, satisfying outlets, and steady satisfying living.
~ SB_UK ~
Old 07-28-17, 09:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordie View Post
Recruit XXXX applied minimal effort to achieve satisfactory results. Should do well in the Army."

I could have become a general. Too late.
Old 07-28-17, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post

I could have become a general. Too late.
Three more promotions and I would have been there too :-)
Old 07-28-17, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyDog View Post

anyway,,,,sounds like you've done really well with your life in spite of your adhd. sailing and diving sounds like a good plan! good luck with the meds
I get that a lot. I live a life people say they envy.

But it isnt like that in my head. My friends all have Post graduate studies and professional life's which I feel that I wasted my intellect by avoiding. Til now I believe so was lazy and unmotivated.

Maybe understanding this condition can help me come to terms with that feeling.
Old 07-29-17, 01:59 AM

dogsrus is on a distinguished road

mate, im glad u are getting treatment for ur ADHD. I have to say, I highly doubt I would survive till 52 without medication, I would have run myself into the ground if it wasnt for the meds lol. I'm just curious, how on earth r u getting adderall in australia? we only have dexamphetamine, ritalin n the long acting forms of those 2 meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogsrus For This Useful Post:
someothertime (08-10-17)
Old 07-29-17, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsrus View Post
mate, im glad u are getting treatment for ur ADHD. I have to say, I highly doubt I would survive till 52 without medication, I would have run myself into the ground if it wasnt for the meds lol. I'm just curious, how on earth r u getting adderall in australia? we only have dexamphetamine, ritalin n the long acting forms of those 2 meds.
My mistake. Dexamphetamine. I read so much about different mess o got confused.
Old 08-09-17, 11:46 PM

Jaykay8 is on a distinguished road

Hi Kordie, fellow Aussie here. (Might as well introduce myself to the forum here under 'Australian ADHD'). Diagnosed at 40. Abused alcohol and drugs to cope for 20 years prior to that. Mainly to get rid of the horrible way i was always feeling: edgy, restless, irritable, fearful, anxious, panicky, racing thoughts - the list goes on. So i self medicated i guess. Working as a DJ in clubs & raves for 17 years didn't help either. That industry is toxic. I always thought i was just an alco/addict but turns out ADHD was there all the time - the main problem. Undiagnosed, untreated for 4 decades wreaked havoc in my life. A string of failed girlfriends, never married and no kids. Lots of injuries too because i could never stop myself and would injure some part of my body. Wrists, back, knee. Injure, re-injure. Unbearable frustration. I'm on the dex now as i type this and feel better. The fog has lifted. But its gonna take time to put all the pieces back together. Really wish i caught it earlier. Both my parents have obvious symptoms but what can i say? Anyway i wonder how many adults are struggling with adult adhd here in Oz having no idea they have it. Like me before, they simply are unaware that their symptoms, their excess struggle, is not normal. So how did i get diagnosed? Well i was at an AA meeting 4 years ago & was speaking to a new guy who had come in. He hung around for a few weeks then quit but before he left he said one thing to me: "It's not alcoholism, it's adhd" So i got checked out and he was right. Thanks for your story.

Last edited by Jaykay8; 08-10-17 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: more info. Introduction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaykay8 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (08-10-17)
Old 08-30-17, 06:21 PM

absentminded93 is on a distinguished road

Hi Kordie

Welcome! I'm 24, diagnosed 2.5 yrs ago. Obviously not as late in life, but I'll share my med experience with you, because my docs advice was quite similar.

I was prescribed Ritalin and was told to take a dose in the AM, increasing each day until I felt like it was "working". I felt unsure, like you seem to be, and realised after about day 4 that some symptoms were easing (I was socially more aware, and less physically restless when sitting for long periods), however I was no more focussed. As a university student, the lack of focus, performance anxiety in my studies and extreme perfectionism which resulted in assignments left unfinished and unsubmitted was the most frustrating symptom. I am also a track athlete, and the Ritalin was affecting my HR and physical performance in strange ways.

The following week I was prescribed Dexamphetamine, and from day 1 I just "knew" that it was working. It brings a sense of calm and clarity, and getting things done is just so much easier. I was on Dex for around 12 months before weaning myself off - I seemed to lose other "traits" that my ADHD gave me, which I now refer to as my superpowers I had always done things a little differently, and have some pretty solid skills when it comes to logical reasoning and problem solving - the meds seemed to dull those a little bit. However, the meds were a great way to regulate myself while I was learning more about ADHD and how to manage it going forward, as well as getting into a routine that worked for me

Whatever you decide, good luck!