ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-17, 07:44 PM

GypsyJ is on a distinguished road
Hi from Australia

Hi all,

I'm fairly certain my story isn't a unique one but here goes. I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago (age 46) by my psych who treats me for Bipolar Disorder, after we got on to the topic of how much I struggle with university, despite having quite a high intelligence. He's seen my pattern of not finishing the many degrees I've started over the last couple of years because I get distracted and struggle to focus or retain information. We talked about my high school history where I had the usual teacher comments, "is intelligent but does not apply herself..." I'm unmotivated and have a terribly memory for chores and appointments even if I write them down, which my parents always put down to deliberate laziness no matter how much I swore to the contrary. It all seems so obvious in retrospect, doesn't it?

Anyway, I have an appointment to discuss treatment tomorrow and will be due to start medication on Thursday (was waiting until new sleep meds kicked in before starting anything else). I have no idea as of yet what I'm going to be prescribed, but I assume something along the lines of Dexedrine since Australia has limited treatment options?

I'm a bit nervous about taking a stimulant since my track record with drugs usually equals all the side effects, but I'm also looking forward to being a new kind of normal.
Old 08-15-17, 01:44 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,350 Times in 744 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future
Re: Hi from Australia

Welcome GypsyJ!!

You will lots of support and help here!! There is a whole section for those of us who have co-morbid conditions which is very common. Check it out to see how people with Bipolar Disorder and ADHD manage.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 08-15-17, 01:51 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,232 Times in 11,130 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-17, 01:10 AM

Thank you! I'll check it out for sure. I could definitely use the guidance
Old 08-17-17, 01:11 AM

Thanks midnightstar!
Old 08-17-17, 05:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,891 Times in 13,071 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the dark side...
Dex is available in AU and I think one of the methlyphenidates?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 08-30-17, 06:09 PM

absentminded93 is on a distinguished road

Welcome

I'm a recently diagnosed (2.5 years ago) from Aus too. I was diagnosed by a fabulous psych in Westmead, Sydney. My doctor prescribed Ritalin, which I trialled, and it did not work for me - certain symptoms were eased but my focus was no better. I was then switched to Dex, which "worked" for me, however after about 12 months I made the decision to go off medication and manage in other ways - being normal took away a little bit of my 'x' factor, such as my ability for abstract problem solving. Unlikely a problem for others, but for me I just wasn't a fan of the meds.

From what I remember, there are 3-4 medications that will be prescribed in Aus depending on whether your doc diagnoses you as inattentive, hyperactive or combined. It's very much a trial and error process. Good luck!