ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-22-17, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,919 Times in 2,018 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: How not to let procrastination affect people's opinion of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
They do, yes. I’m motivated to the point of it being a little unnatural on Dex...which is OK, given my job.

Dex...the med that is called for when all the weaker meds, and that means all others available, simply don’t deliver the goods.

Cheers,
Ian
I'm astounded. Bummer I didn't know about it sooner. Oh well, I've decided to retire anyway cause I think I would be happier and healthier being poor and not working than working even if I could handle the pressure. Setting myself a deadline to retire by the end of the year. Have to put some of my finances in order before I do.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-27-17)
Old 08-26-17, 09:27 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad that you have made a decision that you are happy with!!!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 08-27-17, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Opinions....opinions that's all they are unless you start to overthink them, it does in some sense make it different if its someone that has the power to do harm to your job or career, unless someone has that over you i wouldn't over think but it is always good to try an improve yourself, don't stop improving.
acdc01 (09-01-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 03:21 AM

Do you guys think I should retire now or end of this year?

My mom thinks I would be stupid to retire now since 401k match money the company provides is at the end of this year.

But I'm afraid I'm going to crash and burn before then.

Also, I suspect that lady who complained to me complained about me in front of a higher up (who has a lot of power). I suspect this cause the higher up has been acting really weird all of a sudden for no apparent reason at all. He seems really scared I'm going to mess up somehow and he's never acted that way before.

That spells trouble for me both cause it would end up showing on my performance review this year and because now if I end up making one little mistake on his projects (which everyone does), it's going to be blown completely out of proportion.

Guess I shouldn't care about my performance review score since I'm leaving anyway but I've never gotten a poor one before barring that time I was discrimated against (which has now been cleared up) and the thought of it feels bad.

Plus I'm really dying now and I may just screw up at this point. My rep is taking a beating so even the people who didn't think poorly of me may end up thinking less of me if I don't retire before I crash.
anonymouslyadd (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 01:03 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Do you guys think I should retire now or end of this year?

My mom thinks I would be stupid to retire now since 401k match money the company provides is at the end of this year.

But I'm afraid I'm going to crash and burn before then.
You must be feeling exhasperated at this point, producing quality work, that's on time but is never good enough! Don't quit yet. It sounds like you'd be losing a lot if you end up leaving.
Quote:
Also, I suspect that lady who complained to me complained about me in front of a higher up (who has a lot of power). I suspect this cause the higher up has been acting really weird all of a sudden for no apparent reason at all. He seems really scared I'm going to mess up somehow and he's never acted that way before.

That spells trouble for me both cause it would end up showing on my performance review this year and because now if I end up making one little mistake on his projects (which everyone does), it's going to be blown completely out of proportion.
Have you considered addressing the issue with the "higher up" head on? If you approach the subject like "something's changed in the relationship," you may be able to pry necessary information from him that will help you understand where he's coming from. This doesn't mean that you agree with him. It means that you understand him.

Understanding where he's coming from will give you important information about what's going on in his head and help you figure out a good response that explains your position, without appearing that you're a victim. What do you think about that?
Quote:
Guess I shouldn't care about my performance review score since I'm leaving anyway but I've never gotten a poor one before barring that time I was discrimated against (which has now been cleared up) and the thought of it feels bad.

Plus I'm really dying now and I may just screw up at this point. My rep is taking a beating so even the people who didn't think poorly of me may end up thinking less of me if I don't retire before I crash.
It sounds like you have a lot of pride in your work and being a solid employee. Therefore, it makes sense that you'd care about your review.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 06:42 PM

Thanks a lot anonymousladd. Great advice. I was actually thinking about doing the very things you are suggesting.

My only hesitation is that I don't know if I can hang on. It's not just this stuff I've been writing about. It's that the deadlines have been outrageous for a very long time and everything all put together has killed me. I think I may screw up big time if I wait too long to retire cause I'm too close to my breaking point.

I live right by my workplace and my coworkers walk past my area daily. If I get fired, I think it would make me feel really bad after I've retired to see them when they walk close to where I live (and I don't want to move). I think I'd rather lose out on money than for that to happen. The money while not little, isn't going to make or break my retirement either.

Boy as I write this, I'm leaning more towards retiring now again.
anonymouslyadd (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 08:36 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My only hesitation is that I don't know if I can hang on. It's not just this stuff I've been writing about. It's that the deadlines have been outrageous for a very long time and everything all put together has killed me. I think I may screw up big time if I wait too long to retire cause I'm too close to my breaking point.
It seems like everything is coming to a boiling point and while it may be obvious to ride it out for the money, it may not be worth it if you're sacrificing your health.
Quote:
I live right by my workplace and my coworkers walk past my area daily. If I get fired, I think it would make me feel really bad after I've retired to see them when they walk close to where I live (and I don't want to move). I think I'd rather lose out on money than for that to happen. The money while not little, isn't going to make or break my retirement either.
It sounds like you're worried about the potential humiliation that you'd feel if they let you go. It also sounds like you enjoy where you live and want to be at peace while living there.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 09-16-17, 10:01 PM

finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I would hate to see you lose any retirement money to this BS but I get how you feel completely. I would be very much thinking the way you are.

How do you know that your reputation is taking a beating? Do you know this for a fact or is it something that you could just be making up in your head and getting all spun up. I do this all the time so I am not throwing shade. Check out Rejection Sensitivity Dysphoria. It explains a lot about our reaction to things and the treatment- which I have not tried but seriously considering it. https://www.additudemag.com/rejectio...longside-adhd/

The woman who complained to you, set the project back and then may have complained to a higher up is the same woman? If she is then no one who sets a project back has any room to complain to anyone about anything or anybody!

I also think you should talk to the higher up and see if you can find anything out

Old 09-17-17, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
How do you know that your reputation is taking a beating?
The higher up was acting really weird. There's no way he would act like that unless something scared him. It can't have been anything I've done on his project so based on the timing, I'm almost certain it's about that lady. I don't think I'm the type to think someone is upset when they arent.

It turned out they postponed another project not the one I was pushing the deadline on. I misread the email cause they mentioned both projects in it cause the other project was pushed to allocate more resources for this one so they could still keep the same schedule for this project.

I ended up finishing in the nick of time so the client won't know the difference and will still be happy with our company but internally, it stressed everyone out. That said, there was one issue in my product the client might say was confusing. We couldn't figure out how to fix that one problem. Even if I had finished earlier, we still wouldn't have known how to fix the problem. We now know what the fix is but we could never have known in time regardless of if id finshed earlier. So people may end up being dissatisfied with quality even - I'm not sure yet until we hear back from client. If the same thing quality issue happened with another coworker, it'd be understood. But since I look like a procrastinator (which I am), I think I would not be forgiven.

Last edited by acdc01; 09-17-17 at 07:36 PM..
peripatetic (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 07:29 PM

Just to clarify, I'm not afraid I'll be fired for this one incident- I would be astounded if that happened.

What I'm afraid of is that I may crash and really screw up between now and when I was planning to retire.

So, I've made a decision. I'm going to listen to you guys and talk to that higher up cause if he's scared, he's gonna nit pick everything I do and will have to find problems even when there aren't any. I'm also going to tell my company I'm retiring in january. People have announced they are retiring months in advance before. My company won't push me out earlier than that cause they want to keep everything friendly. And they wouldn't fire me if I crash and screw up cause its easier from a liability point just to let me retire on my own.

I still might get a bad performance evaluation but I guess I can suck that up even if it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It was being fired that would be a problem. I've actually got a couple friends at work who I'm planning to continue to see after I quit so that would have been awkward as well as seeing all my ex coworkers walk past me nearly every week since I live in the same area. I've shared enough my company can identify me on this forum no but oh well.

I feel a million times better now cause I think this plan will work. Thanks a lot for all your support and ideas guys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-17-17), finallyfound10 (09-19-17), peripatetic (09-17-17)
Old 09-19-17, 11:24 AM

I so know the feeling of if we do something the reaction could be or is very different than if it happens with someone else. I drive myself nuts with that kind of thinking!!

I am really happy for you that you have come up with a smooth transition. I think you are making good moves in all of your choices- talk to the big boss and tell them know you are retiring.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-19-17)
Old 09-21-17, 02:26 AM

ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough

People's opinions don't matter, but they can be useful feedback.
The first step is understanding their perspective, and seeing if it's worth it for you to change or not.

Regarding sending the tech a draft, I'm not sure about your field, but perhaps I can give you some perspective from mine?

I'm a game programmer. People send me design documents.

If I get it a few days in advance, I have more time to think about how to best structure my code, what tools to use, etc. Even if I'm working on another project in the meanwhile, and can't start on the new one until I'm done.

More so if it's the next step in the same project. Knowing what it'll have to do in the future can influence how I structure my code for the current part. Suddenly, "surprise new feature!" may mean a lot of code rewriting and restructuring.

If I get it the same day, it will likely go slower and maybe have poorer quality.

I'm not saying this to make you feel bad or anything, because you shouldn't. You are doing your best, and that's what matters, along with always trying to find ways to improve.

Some practical tips on the question itself:
  • Try telling them "I don't want to potentially sacrifice quality to get it out a few days earlier, if it won't be used anyway", instead of relying on just "well, I made the deadline, didn't I?". The way you phrase things makes the difference between looking like you care about the project, and just being lazy for no reason.
  • Are you perhaps a bit of a perfectionist, like me? I tend to hyperfocus on tasks and tweak them to perfection, dealing with details that my client doesn't even notice or care about. Maybe your workplace cares about speed more than quality, and would rather you start on a new task before the deadline?
  • If you speak to techs in person, maybe ask them if a rough outline of the document received before the deadline would help them, and if so, send them something early on without all the details. I imagine you make some kind of bullet-point list with everything you will be adding?
acdc01 (09-27-17)
Old 10-02-17, 05:47 PM

What do you guys think I should do? Lady that complained is taking away my responsibility of choosing and directly communicating with the techs I work with. I need to be in charge of the techs or I'm at risk of not finishing in time. It's actually written into my accommodations letter that I have the right to do that. But she doesn't know of my disability so doesn't know I have that right. I tried to convince her to let me deal with the techs still but she won't budge.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm tempted to speak to my boss about this who will ultimately speak to her boss about it so her boss would know I have some disability as well (only a few people know right now).

Just as a side comment I don't regret disclosing. I actually would be worse off if I hadn't disclosed. People are upset with me cause they don't know I have adhd and don't understand my symptoms. That wouldn't have changed with or without disclosure.

I'd just let it go since im retiring but I don't want to leave until after my 401k match. Her project deadline is before then.
aeon (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 06:01 PM

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What do you guys think I should do? Lady that complained is taking away my responsibility of choosing and directly communicating with the techs I work with. I need to be in charge of the techs or I'm at risk of not finishing in time. It's actually written into my accommodations letter that I have the right to do that. But she doesn't know of my disability so doesn't know I have that right. I tried to convince her to let me deal with the techs still but she won't budge.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm tempted to speak to my boss about this who will ultimately speak to her boss about it so her boss would know I have some disability as well (only a few people know right now).

Just as a side comment I don't regret disclosing. I actually would be worse off if I hadn't disclosed. People are upset with me cause they don't know I have adhd and don't understand my symptoms. That wouldn't have changed with or without disclosure.

I'd just let it go since im retiring but I don't want to leave until after my 401k match. Her project deadline is before then.
Talk to your boss.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10-02-17, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Talk to your boss.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks. I should say I haven't told my boss um retiring yet. My family strongly felt it would be a big risk for me to do so as there are higher ups that don't like me I'm pretty sure. They might tell me I could leave right away instead of letting me stay until after I collect my 401k money.

They said they've seen that happen with other coworkers before.

Assume that does change your suggestion but thought I'd share that added info anyway.