ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 08-18-17, 08:47 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of
Why is he glitching? Computer vs. Paper

School went to a new grading platform this year. It is called Canvas and teachers can put worksheets, homework, quizzes, tests...etc all in the App/Program.

My 15 year old 10th grader is glitching badly. He says he can't take the quizzes on the computer, he can't focus, he NEEDS them on paper. I totally believe him, and have already contacted the IEP coordinator for an addendum/meeting, but I was wondering if anyone knew WHY this would be occurring.

My son does a LOT on his phone, instagram, FaceBook, twitter...etc. Why is he glitching about this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-28-17)
Old 08-18-17, 09:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,401 Times in 11,478 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is he glitching? Computer vs. Paper

Because he wants something tangible in front of him.

Well, that would be my reason.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-28-17)
Old 08-18-17, 09:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,238 Times in 14,917 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I do not like taking any sort of tests/surveys/ etc on a computer-I never have. There is sort of a "get down to business" mentality when I have paper and pencil in front of me. The idea that I can erase a mistake and use extra paper helps me as well. Tests, quizes and their layouts on the computer are very visually distracting and overwhelming to me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-18-17), namazu (08-28-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-17, 12:06 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,236 Times in 5,362 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Bad short term memory coupled with slow handwriting means that if I have to do that kind stuff on the computer, I have to be very careful about copying questions down correctly if there is any scratch paper/ multi step problems to do.

Add to that that it's either not obvious or not possible to mark up and annotate on scr en the way it is on paper, I can totally understand the glitch.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (08-28-17), namazu (08-28-17)
Old 08-29-17, 04:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,238 Times in 14,917 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I thought of was about "stakes". The stakes of tests, quizes and homework are grades. Doing poorly means bad grades so the pressure over what he is working on with technology could also contribute to his difficulties. He may be a whiz with surfing the web, youtube and social media but he is not being graded on that. He does get graded for school though so it can be causing some anxiety (rightly so). Personally I think they should always offer handwritten/ paper options in addition to computer based tests and homework because not everyone is comfortable with using screens to do work.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (08-30-17)
Old 09-08-17, 11:49 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

As a follow up, my son was able to explain yesterday during his IEP meeting WHY he was glitching. He has been taught strategies on how to take a multiple choice test. These include underlining important words in the question, crossing out obviously wrong answers...etc. You can't do any of that on the computer with this program. Supposedly the state tests given on the computer you can manipulate the screen like that, but not this program.

So, he will be getting everything on paper and then asked to put the answers into the computer. So thankfully it all worked out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-08-17)