ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-17, 05:12 PM

DriftedEast is on a distinguished road
Semi Functional

Hello,

As a quick background, I was diagnosed with ADD at an early age. My parents did not want me to go on medication so it was mostly controlled with special diets. They worked well enough. Through most of my life, looking back, I think I used stress and adrenalin to keep me focused. If I wasn't jumping out of an airplane or deep under the sea my attention would drift. Also keeping myself pushed to the max seemed to force me to focus. For this regard, I have been somewhat successful in life. I did finish colledge etc.

Now later in life, 50+, I can't be as adventurous or push myself anymore. With that, the ADD has come back with a vengance. Although born in the USA, I was previously living in Canada where my doctor put me on ADD medicine. It helped, but I was all over the place with my life so it was hard to tell. I moved back to the USA last year and discoverd I can't find a doctor to perscribe stimulants, e.g. Concerta.

My life has quickly turned into a mess of missing important dates and activities as well as many unfinished projects. What will happen if I can't get the medication I need is pretty scarry. This could be a major life adjustment for me.

This is where I am at and why I joined the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to DriftedEast For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (08-18-17)
Old 08-18-17, 05:30 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,312 Times in 11,185 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation
Re: Semi Functional

Welcome to the forum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
Old 08-18-17, 11:28 PM

Thanked 30,843 Times in 13,837 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the forums!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-17, 04:45 AM
Jr Member

Beachnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftedEast View Post
Hello,

As a quick background, I was diagnosed with ADD at an early age. My parents did not want me to go on medication so it was mostly controlled with special diets. They worked well enough. Through most of my life, looking back, I think I used stress and adrenalin to keep me focused. If I wasn't jumping out of an airplane or deep under the sea my attention would drift. Also keeping myself pushed to the max seemed to force me to focus. For this regard, I have been somewhat successful in life. I did finish colledge etc.

Now later in life, 50+, I can't be as adventurous or push myself anymore. With that, the ADD has come back with a vengance. Although born in the USA, I was previously living in Canada where my doctor put me on ADD medicine. It helped, but I was all over the place with my life so it was hard to tell. I moved back to the USA last year and discoverd I can't find a doctor to perscribe stimulants, e.g. Concerta.

My life has quickly turned into a mess of missing important dates and activities as well as many unfinished projects. What will happen if I can't get the medication I need is pretty scarry. This could be a major life adjustment for me.

This is where I am at and why I joined the forum.
Hi and welcome, I am new here too. Are you able to contact your Canadian doctor and request they refer you to a doctor in your current area attaching the relevant information? Previous medical histories and referrals generally make medical referrals a more streamlined process, I would hope it would be the same for adhd as I tend to move around a lot as well.
Old 08-19-17, 02:29 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,351 Times in 745 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I agree with above poster as an MD is more likely to listen to another MD. Find a psychiatrist, one who specializes in ADHD would be great, but a psychiatrist is needed for sure.

Good luck!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 08-19-17, 07:24 PM

jdpjr969 is on a distinguished road

This may be a bit late and am not sure if anyone is monitoring this post, but here goes. I'm about your age and have experienced the same thing.

In 2013, I was having serious problems with immediate memory, attention, initializing, sequencing, internal distraction, avoidance of things of cognitive challenge, etc. All of the things you need to do paperwork, manage time, and meet deadlines. Made work a real pain. I went to my MD to discuss meds since I had been on a stable med schedule for nearly 8 - 10 yrs and on meds since 1996. I'm on a fair bit of amphetamine Adderall 40mg and Vyvance 50mg. Too much to be as lethargic as I was.

I asked my MD what he thought about testosterone levels at my age (then was 48) and he agreed to do bloodwork and figured he would check PSA at the same time as well. Results came back and my doc said "Well the good news is that you have the testosterone level of a 109 yr old diabetic woman (t=77)... the bad news is that your PSA is 4.6, you could have cancer...". Which I did. I got lucky, was caught early, post surgery i'm looking pretty good so far.

The fact that I had cancer was not the issue regarding my declining performance. The problem was that I had something destroying my testosterone levels and my ability to ever generate testosterone again. So now post cancer, I cannot generate testosterone and cancer feeds on testosterone. Bad news is, that no matter how much amphetamine I take, there is negligible change in executive functioning. I've been researching this and can find little on the subject i.e. testosterone levels as an impediment on amphetamine performance.

There is a lot more to it than what I can describe here in this venue and it is complex. My recommendation is going to your MD and getting a full panel of bloodwork. Check all age relevant levels especially testosterone AND PSA together! Low level testosterone and rising PSA is a marker for cancer. For what it is worth... I never had the first symptom of cancer other than chronic fatigue that was amphetamine resistant. I have no family history of prostate cancer and don't drink, smoke, chew, or do. My cholesterol and triglycerides were good, etc. other than the occasional steak or cheese burger. I was in the lowest possible risk group. I was fortunate to have an MD with good instincts and knew his way around adult ADD.

Moral of the story, there is no substitute for bloodwork. Start with bloodwork and eliminate other medical problems. Btw, DO NOT rely on digital prostate exams (finger in the butt checks unless you are into that kind of thing). I had 4. 2 before my biopsy and 2 after my biopsy (by 2 different MD's) when they knew I had cancer and where it was in the prostate and they still never felt it. Both MD's told me if it were up to the digital exam alone, cancer would have gotten me. The digital exam is a great way to die.

Last edited by peripatetic; 08-19-17 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: added paragraphs to ease reading.
Old 08-27-17, 04:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum friend! need any help ask away