ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 08-29-17, 06:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,447 Times in 15,033 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
He quit drinking for you?

I've been in recovery for multiple addictions and compulsions and I have never heard anyone say, "I did this for my wife." Yes, people might have started on the path because of another person or some crisis, but in recovery people quickly realize that they are the ones who benefit the most from sobriety. He's acting like you're his mother and he eats his vegetables 'cause of you. People in recovery become grateful that a wife or friend "forced" them to seek help.
Good points! Grateful but not obligated.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (08-29-17)
Old 08-29-17, 06:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,447 Times in 15,033 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennEats View Post
Yes, we've been to couples counselling theee times over our 27 years. I'd be willing to try again; we need someone versed in ADHD (actually believed it exists).
I think its more important for YOU to get counseling on your own. You need to learn to be in charge of your own feelings before you can worry about his.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (08-29-17)
Old 12-13-17, 07:42 PM

JennEats is on a distinguished road

Well, itís been nearly 4 months and I am slowly growing stronger.
I read this forum sometimes, and I see the disastrous patterns that have been a part of my life for way too long. Iím working with my therapist (for the past year), and she often reminds me that my husbands actions are not typical of a person with attention deficit; they are more those of an abuser. Iím imagining life away from my home, just the girls and I, and slowly accepting that change could happen. Iím saving money, telling my girls friends the whole truth when I am sad, and releasing the burden of managing the house. Iím going to be ok.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JennEats For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (12-13-17), WhiteOwl (12-14-17)
Sponsored Links