ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-17, 04:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,578 Times in 13,638 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
How do I stop binge eating and eating crap??

It's been a year now and I really need to stop. I've put on so much weight that my feet hurt when walking. I'm really starting to worry about diabetes and other health problems. I need to get a hold on my eating but nothing seems to be working.

I used to binge when I was depressed or had other negative emotions but now I'm fine but still can't stop eating. I'm tired and don't get much sleep but even that doesn't explain the huge amount of food I eat.

It has to stop. But how???

(Please keep in mind that I've got no will power....)

(Ive also got no time and very little energy)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-29-17), daveddd (08-30-17), Pilgrim (09-10-17)
Old 08-29-17, 04:56 PM

Thanked 14,544 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I stop binge eating and eating crap??

Lack of adequate sleep will result in binge/mindless eating for many people.

As is par for the course, it comes down to what you really want.

If you want to stop binge eating and eating crap, stop.

If you want to put on more weight, cause osteoarthritis, experience metabolic syndrome, develop insulin resistance, increase your risk of a heart attack or stroke, come to have diabetes, damage your kidneys, experience neuropathy, lose your eyesight, have a foot or leg amputated, and die before Fuzzling reaches the majority, don’t change a thing.

Yes, that was a bit brutal, and I intended that, because I want to be very frank and not sugar-coat things.

I used to use food as a drug. I haven’t lost a leg, or damaged my kidneys, but I have diabetes, and I’ve had a stroke, and it was not fun, not fun at all.

Food will nourish you, and it can make you fat if you eat too much, but it will do nothing else.

You can try to make it do something else, but it won’t be sustainable, and you just might die trying.

Love Yourself,
Ian
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-29-17), Greyhound1 (08-29-17), Little Missy (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-29-17)
Old 08-29-17, 05:10 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I do want to stop binge eating and I don't want to get all those health problems you mentioned (don't worry about being too frank or brutal. There's no need to sugar coat. I know what's in store if I don't stop eating like this.)

The problem is how. I've tried just stopping but I just don't.
aeon (08-29-17), psychopathetic (08-29-17), stef (08-30-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-17, 10:11 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,790 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

What does your trying to stop actually look like? What's the specific reasons for not being able to follow through when you do try? How can you adjust things to make it more of a possibility? Do you still buy the stuff and keep it in your house?

Unfortunately, for me, it took a medical emergency threatening to cut me open to finally have the seriousness of it all hit home in a large enough way to make me drastically change things. I have no interest in any surgeries and would like to keep the organs I was born with for a damn good reason, so my motivation was kicked into high gear.

Until then I was still in my perceived comfort zone steadily munching on all my so-called comfort foods, thinking it couldn't be that bad yet, or certainly my doctor would have addressed it...being as how I topped out at 324 lbs and was going for regular "check ups" and such during that time, being told all was okay according to the tests and blood work.

I had to stop buying crap to stop eating crap. Learning more about how each thing I was so highly addicted to was made and how it arrived at my table went a long ways in helping me decide what energies I no longer wanted to support with monetary exchanges. Learning more about my body helped a great deal, too, whereas before, I left it all in the hands of the professionals.

But I weakened and once again gave into the "convenience" of ordering pizzas with no cheese (still had gluten, cheap oil, etc.), french fries, potato wedges, and onion rings (still vegan, mostly, but cooked in cheap shi**** oil and not often real potatoes or real onions), peanut butter with melted dairy-free chocolate chips stirred in, and potato chips. My food crack.

I also started eating late at night again, which is never a good idea. Our digestive system needs a nice long break, too, hence the term for the first meal of the day being break-fast. Anyway, I gained at least 30 lbs back and ate myself into yet another gall bladder attack, once again avoiding surgery.

I'm back on my more strict eating plan and have done yet another clean sweep in getting the junk out of my cabinets and fridge and re-establishing my own boundaries with myself, and others. I must make it work for me because no one else is offering to do it for me.

The weight is coming back off and I'm feeling empowered via my fork once again. It's true that nothing tastes as good as good health feels. But my taste buds still aren't buying into it. Cravings are very real and very persistent. I must have healthier replacements on hand for what I'd normally reach for.

There's no other way for me to avoid it than by not buying it. I have to keep reminding myself throughout the day that if I put junk/death/artificial in, I get junk/death/artificial out. I can't afford to run on that type of fuel any longer, as my body has repeatedly and painfully reminded me.

Good luck, and may you find the strength to make shift happen before it's medically necessary, or before they start harvesting your organs. It remains my toughest challenge, even with all the support, lessons, tools, garden goodies, and love of cooking that I have.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-29-17), stef (08-30-17)
Old 08-29-17, 11:25 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,367 Times in 7,152 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
It's been a year now and I really need to stop. I've put on so much weight that my feet hurt when walking. I'm really starting to worry about diabetes and other health problems. I need to get a hold on my eating but nothing seems to be working.
Jeeze...you remain to be my twin in so many ways. So many things in common!

I've gotten SUPER bad with my eating every since my mom's passed. I don't know how I afford to do so, but I eat out almost everyday now...and when I say I eat out, I mean stuff like mdconalds and taco bell and all the worst salt filled stuff. I avoid sugars pretty well, but man I eat horrible otherwise. And in LARGE amounts.
I'm the heaviest I've ever been.
Sometimes after eating I have a hard time breathing the next night from all the fat pressing down in on me.
A lot of times after I eat...especially at taco bell...my wrists and ankles get all puffy (to the point where I have to take my watch off) and start to tingle because of how much salt I'm taking in and retaining.

And life is just becoming much more difficult. It's not fun being at this weight.

I've called out for help...but there is no help to be given to me really. I wish someone could step into my life and make my decisions for me...just for a week or 2. As long as I'm in control, I feel like nothing's going to change, I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing to myself.
I think it's going to take a heart attack or a stroke before I decide to change. If I've even got a choice at that point.

But it feels deeper than just simple choices. I feel out of control! Like I can't freaking help it! I'll sit in my bed for hours obsessing on food...researching it and watching videos about it and going online to calculate how much it'd cost to order what I want. I crave it. It's like there's this void and I'm desperate to try to fill it all up with food...doesn't work of course...but dang it. I'm so out of control!

It's frustrating there's no help. I think I could admit myself into the psych ward of my local small hospital and that would help as they've got a schedule on when and what to eat...wouldn't be up to me...but dang, outside of that I feel like I'm just out to sea drowning.

I'm sorry.
I didn't mean to type so much. I haven't talked much about this...but it's been a major problem I'm going through right now in life.

(((((((Fuzzy)))))))

Thank you for being brave enough to share this. I feel less afraid to be honest about it knowing you're having issues with it too...I know you can understand and wont judge me.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17)
Old 08-29-17, 11:38 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,367 Times in 7,152 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
If you want to stop binge eating and eating crap, stop.
I just don't think you quite get it.

This is the same answer I've gotten from many people (looking at you dad!) who haven't gotten it and why I am the way I am through out my life.
If I wanted something bad enough, I'd just do it.

I know all the right things to do and not to do. I struggle in actually implementing that knowledge.
And your answer to me just comes across as cold and condescending to me.
I've been being told to get over myself and to just put more effort into things my whole life.
If ONLY I knew freaking how.
/sigh

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Greyhound1 (08-29-17), stef (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 12:18 AM

attackthevixen is on a distinguished road

From my experience I've just had to stop going out to eat and stop buy crappy food. The foods that really fattened me up were the usual favorites, sugar and bread. I also was prescribed Adipex in high school. If you know anything about it you know it knocks your appetite right out with a surge of energy. That kinda kick-started my healthy eating.

Drink water also. I know its hard, but you have to. especially if you're a lover of sodas and juices. Try distilled water. Its literally just water. You won't have to worry about the "added minerals for taste" like brands like Dasani and aquafina.

I hope this helps
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attackthevixen For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 07:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,455 Times in 14,481 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Telling someone to just stop is insulting. Dont you think they would if they could? No one wants to endanger their health. Eating disorders are mental illnesses. They dont make sense and they are very hard to manage. I suggest fuzzy that you try and get professional help and psycho- keep working with your mental health group and providers. Make sure you share because you know identifying not comparing is what helps to heal.
Of course not buying crap helps but when you are having a hard episode with your eating disorder there is no logic. There is no making sense and you are not able to perceive the long term consequences in that moment. Telling someone to stop is the same thing as telling someone with adhd to get it together or try harder.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 08:42 AM

Thanked 14,544 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I just don't think you quite get it.
Well, I used to be really heavy, and I am not any longer, and it was only when my desire to be healthier was greater than my desire to eat did I lose the weight.

And that took a long time...to change my thoughts about it all, to change what I wanted. And no, it was not easy, because it wasn’t easy for me to change my behaviors.

But what don’t I get, I wonder?

Quote:
This is the same answer I've gotten from many people (looking at you dad!) who haven't gotten it and why I am the way I am through out my life.
If I wanted something bad enough, I'd just do it.
Ultimately, people’s actions are a reflection of their desires. Not a perfect one, but a telling one. And there’s nothing wrong with accepting and owning what you want, if what you want is different. It is your life, and you have every right to live it as you see fit.

Quote:
I know all the right things to do and not to do. I struggle in actually implementing that knowledge.
Yep, and I do that today and now with other things in my life. Learning new things is easy. Changing behavior is not...even when the evidence comes back that I need to change things!

Quote:
And your answer to me just comes across as cold and condescending to me.
I've been being told to get over myself and to just put more effort into things my whole life.
If ONLY I knew freaking how.
/sigh
Then that’s how it came across to you. I didn’t intend it that way, though I did mention in my original post that I was frank and a bit brutal because I wanted to be rational and pragmatic in thinking about things.

That all said, at the end of the day, it is about the choices one makes, and the actions that come out of those choices. These are the things we have control of, and responsibility for. What informs the choice may be long, complex, and none too easy...but the choice itself, made day to day, could not be more simple...you either choose to eat crap, or you choose otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Telling someone to just stop is insulting. Dont you think they would if they could? No one wants to endanger their health. Eating disorders are mental illnesses. They dont make sense and they are very hard to manage. I suggest fuzzy that you try and get professional help and psycho- keep working with your mental health group and providers. Make sure you share because you know identifying not comparing is what helps to heal.
Of course not buying crap helps but when you are having a hard episode with your eating disorder there is no logic. There is no making sense and you are not able to perceive the long term consequences in that moment. Telling someone to stop is the same thing as telling someone with adhd to get it together or try harder.
On this, perhaps we shall agree to disagree.

Mental illness or not, personal responsibility begins and ends with actions.

It’s like being an addict in recovery. You make the choice to remain sober. You’re free to choose otherwise, but you choose sobriety because it is what you want for yourself.

It works the same way with food.

At least that is how I see it, and I used food as a drug for nearly 25 years.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Little Missy (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 09:07 AM

Thanked 21,170 Times in 11,327 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I like it when my clothing fits. I'm so short 10 extra pounds can creep on what seems overnight. 10 extra pounds means my clothing does not fit correctly.

I LOVE cake. But I will not eat an improperly made cake with 40 ingredients. If I have to have it, I make it myself correctly. I'm a cake snob.

I made a deal with myself to never buy a size larger ever. Why would I? I have plenty of clothing.

Sometimes I'd like to have my jaw wired shut. Sometimes I think I'll save enough to have liposuction. Will that help? No. I could eat it all back on in a week.

All I can do is the best that I am able to every day. If my jeans get tight, I eat less.

How did I quit being a full time junkie? I stopped.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Pilgrim (09-10-17), stef (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 09:10 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,790 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Perhaps telling folks to just stop buying it/doing it sounds a bit too "easy" and may come across to some as being borderline insulting, but after struggling with food for several decades and luckily living long enough to enact some drastic changes of my own, repeatedly, it remains the best advice I've seen and tried that actually works, and it remains the hardest damn thing I've ever done.

It always feels like sh**** advice when you're the one struggling and desperately trying to get out of your own funk in the fastest and most comfortable way possible. Trust me, I remember those feelings very well. Food addiction is rarely recognized for what it is, and it's no joke, either.

I guess that's why it took a medical emergency along with some quality time spent laying in the ER to think about which actions would bring me genuine relief, as none of my previous attempts had worked. Most medical professionals aren't trained in nutrition, so seeking help there often leads to more complications, in my experiences.

We all have our breaking points and I feel I reached mine that day, especially in the food arena, and am grateful it steered me in the directions it did. Otherwise, I'd likely just be another statistic to reflect upon rather than actually being here to share my experiences.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Little Missy (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 09:50 AM

hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

What worked for me are Eat right for your Blood Type, eat as much as you like of certain foods right for you. Not as bad/hard as it sounds.

Paleo Mediterranean diet, I went sugar and carb free for two weeks, cured my sugar addiction, e.g. sausage, egg, bacon, sausage both square and link under the grill when craving hit, or in preparation for craving, feeling satisfied was half the battle to dealing with craving.

Total denial starvation not good for anyone. Fat fills you up, not sugar or carbs.

You can return to eating crap, but naturally limited/satisfied.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hutchie0109 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Little Missy (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 10:32 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,885 Times in 13,056 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent advice here,
I would add never grocery shop hungry, just dont buy it
If you dont shop insist the shopper not buy the things you crave
Have some fruit. Seriously its delicious. Not as a substiute for junk but really its good and you will feel good.
On the other hand dont give everything up or skip meals or you will binge double.
Look up easy recipes, make foods you like, its rewarding

Psycho like missy i am small framed and those few extra pounds are too much
I grieved as you did when i lost my mom but with opposite effect, i lost my appetite, i had to force myself to eat
It was only then, after feeling physically better, (and you will!) that i realized i had been eating too much , for years
Im still sickened by " too much food" and i suppose this quantity is different for everyone

I wish it hadnt taken those months of anguish to get to this point, i would want that for no one, and i hope you find an easier route to feeling better
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Little Missy (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 12:17 PM

My trying tò stop looks like

1. Telling myself to stop (and failing miserably)

2. Trying to eat something healthy instead like fruits (only works sometimes. I love fruit and eat tons of it but when I want to binge I binge.

3. Fasting (this almost always works but I can't fast every day and right now I can't fast at all.)

When I go shopping I normally buy super healthy stuff. Hubby buys all the crap. Unless when I'm going on a dedicated binge shop where I only buy crap with the sole intention of binge feasting on it.

It does help to not have unhealthy food lying about. When crap is just lying about I eat it without even thinking about it. Though when I really want to binge I create binge food from the craziest most pathetic items (like sugar on bread....) but yes not having crap at home eliminates the mindless binge eating.
aeon (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Jeeze...you remain to be my twin in so many ways. So many things in common!

I've gotten SUPER bad with my eating every since my mom's passed. I don't know how I afford to do so, but I eat out almost everyday now...and when I say I eat out, I mean stuff like mdconalds and taco bell and all the worst salt filled stuff. I avoid sugars pretty well, but man I eat horrible otherwise. And in LARGE amounts.
I'm the heaviest I've ever been.
Sometimes after eating I have a hard time breathing the next night from all the fat pressing down in on me.
A lot of times after I eat...especially at taco bell...my wrists and ankles get all puffy (to the point where I have to take my watch off) and start to tingle because of how much salt I'm taking in and retaining.

And life is just becoming much more difficult. It's not fun being at this weight.

I've called out for help...but there is no help to be given to me really. I wish someone could step into my life and make my decisions for me...just for a week or 2. As long as I'm in control, I feel like nothing's going to change, I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing to myself.
I think it's going to take a heart attack or a stroke before I decide to change. If I've even got a choice at that point.

But it feels deeper than just simple choices. I feel out of control! Like I can't freaking help it! I'll sit in my bed for hours obsessing on food...researching it and watching videos about it and going online to calculate how much it'd cost to order what I want. I crave it. It's like there's this void and I'm desperate to try to fill it all up with food...doesn't work of course...but dang it. I'm so out of control!

It's frustrating there's no help. I think I could admit myself into the psych ward of my local small hospital and that would help as they've got a schedule on when and what to eat...wouldn't be up to me...but dang, outside of that I feel like I'm just out to sea drowning.

I'm sorry.
I didn't mean to type so much. I haven't talked much about this...but it's been a major problem I'm going through right now in life.

(((((((Fuzzy)))))))

Thank you for being brave enough to share this. I feel less afraid to be honest about it knowing you're having issues with it too...I know you can understand and wont judge me.
Psycho thanks for sharing snd thanks for understanding.

. I'm thr heaviest I've ever been too ajd I think that might include when I was full term pregnant (too scared to weigh myself).

I think when you are dealing with griEf or other negative emotions self control becomes even more difficult. It's as if the other negative emotion eats up thr last bit of self control. I know there's been research on how tiredness reduces self control ajd I can imagine that it works similarly woth other emotions weighing you down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), stef (09-03-17)