ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-17, 04:06 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all
Perseveration and ADHD. Do you have this issue?

I really think this is an ADHD related issue or just indicative of struggling with ADHD or a learning disability. The way I look at preservation is a sort of "over-focus" almost OCD like.

In my case, it'd be struggling to double check my answers or work. Before I got my ADHD under control, I'd make so many stupid mistakes, I'd forget things, leave questions blank, forget assignments, forget to write my name, you name it. So when I got my work back or it came time for a responsibility, I'd end up getting bad marks and berated. This made me more determined to deal with my struggles, I'd try double checking if I remembered, and if I did I'd make just as many mistakes no matter how I tried. This led me to try triple checking when I remembered, and most of the time I'd forget, and that caused me to try obsess more and more to avoid or deal with my struggles of undiagnosed ADHD.

Essentially this snowballed pretty hard, and I'd be an ADHD hypervigilant mess missing a ton of steps and things I needed to do, and just trying to compensate more and more for it with what became perseveration. Even at times now that I have my ADHD under control and am medicated (more so early on, not at all now), I am just very hypervigilant over the ways I used to struggle with ADHD. This is the perseveration I'm referring to.

Is this common? Do you have it?
Old 07-19-17, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,948 Times in 10,083 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Perseveration and ADHD. Do you have this issue?

Using a proof reader helps greatly.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 07-20-17, 05:25 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,943 Times in 13,094 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean like, self preservation? Sort of like doing something to keep yourself afloat? Sort of like triple checking your work, or being hypervigilant to avoid any sort of mistakes or failure?
If thats what you mean then I think I have gone through something kinda like that but not with school work or employment work. I have a sleep routine and morning routine that I adhere to because it saved my life when it comes to insomina and all that. Because of that I can be very rigid with when I go to bed/wake up and sometimes I am so focused on avoiding a return to insomnia that I am thinking/planning out all available options in order to give myself security because of how horrible it was. Does that make any sense?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-17, 07:30 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,946 Times in 12,707 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm more hyperviligant now with planning things, figuring out how long it will take to get somewhere, to be ready on time, to make a meal etc. (actually I'm not diagnosed though, but it's something I've worked on mostly because I was just miserable, rushing around. Sometimes I still underestimate, though.

It'll be worth the diagonosis i hope to get , if it helps at all with the proofreading.
I have exactly this same problem:
"double checking if I remembered, and if I did I'd make just as many mistakes no matter how I tried. This led me to try triple checking when I remembered, and most of the time I'd forget"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-20-17), Little Missy (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 08:08 AM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

proof reading...well, I am diagnosed, I do take my medication as directed but surely you have all seen my mistakes.

I read and do everything too fast. In college it was fine because I had a proof reader.

I won't even push a button to correct things.

But at LOL's, I am a perfectionist that the family and LOL can count on.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-20-17), stef (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 08:16 AM

well, except for a couple of times the proof reader corrected some things incorrectly and it was very annoying.

The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 09:35 AM

Thanked 23,694 Times in 10,956 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you mean like, self preservation? Sort of like doing something to keep yourself afloat? Sort of like triple checking your work, or being hypervigilant to avoid any sort of mistakes or failure?
If thats what you mean then I think I have gone through something kinda like that but not with school work or employment work. I have a sleep routine and morning routine that I adhere to because it saved my life when it comes to insomina and all that. Because of that I can be very rigid with when I go to bed/wake up and sometimes I am so focused on avoiding a return to insomnia that I am thinking/planning out all available options in order to give myself security because of how horrible it was. Does that make any sense?
Perservation = keeping something in good condition.

Perseveration = repeating something.

I didn't know the difference between these until learning about autism.
Perseveration is a symptom of autism, including echolalia, repeating phrases
or words.

I think the OP was discussing being unable to break a pattern he developed
as a coping mechanism.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-20-17, 10:01 AM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

or words.

as a coping mechanism.
This, i thought that it was like perservation too. Though from what I understand it's applicable to adhd, and other conditions and is used interchangeably w/ hypervigilance.
Old 07-20-17, 10:40 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh235 View Post
This, i thought that it was like perservation too. Though from what I understand it's applicable to adhd, and other conditions and is used interchangeably w/ hypervigilance.
Hypervigilance is generally caused by PTSD and anxiety disorder.
Both of which, I have.

It's better now, but I went through a time while married that I nearly jumped
out of my skin if someone entered the room while I was focused on something.
Hubbs finally figured out he needed to make some noise before surprising me.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 03:06 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Hypervigilance is generally caused by PTSD and anxiety disorder.
Both of which, I have.

It's better now, but I went through a time while married that I nearly jumped
out of my skin if someone entered the room while I was focused on something.
Hubbs finally figured out he needed to make some noise before surprising me.
That's true but in my case in particular there's definitely an association between it and ADHD. In my case before I got my ADHD under control I got so burned out from trying to be hypervigilant about dealing with my struggles due to
ADHD. It was a cluster****. Also created a lot of anxiety and OCD style symptoms that I had to overcome that were really hard to. Ocd symptoms mixed
With ADHD is such an infuriating combo because OCD can make your mind stick on the dumbest things, meanwhile having the attention span of a gnat about anything (that was me)

That's not fun at all about ptsd. I'm glad things are getting better for you. I had/still have some residual ptsd. A lot of it comes from the 20 years before my ADHD was diagnosed and how I was treated. Rest comes from how badly I was treated in medical school for having ADHD that brought everything back ridiculously hard.

I hate hate hate that jumping out of my skin feeling.
I'm so glad I don't have that anymore. At its worst that feeling gave me the feeling that I was in the middle of a war zone and constantly being beaten on. That was the reality minus the war zone but when I developed ptsd it really felt
Like something snapped in me. I also hated how it brought out paranoia at times. Ptsd related paranoia is so horrific
The Following User Says Thank You to mrh235 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 08:36 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,727 Times in 6,129 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Perservation? Shouldn't it be preservation? To preserve or keep something in good condition.

No sure if the e & r were transposed accidentally or I've never heard of the word.
Old 07-20-17, 08:48 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,155 Times in 8,927 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Perservation? Shouldn't it be preservation? To preserve or keep something in good condition.

No sure if the e & r were transposed accidentally or I've never heard of the word.
It's "perseveration" -- like "persevere", but used this way (verb = "perseverate"), it usually means beyond the point of (f)utility, more of a "getting stuck".

EDIT: Oops -- looks like you meant the first word you quoted. Yeah, that's a typo -- should be "preservation". My bad!

Last edited by namazu; 07-20-17 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: added facepalm
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post

Pre- is the most common spelling, but apparently it's also accepted to spell it
perservation.

Old 07-21-17, 06:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,943 Times in 13,094 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

or words.

as a coping mechanism.
I cant believe I missed the spelling. I know what peserveration is. I read it has preservation. DUH.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 10-17-17, 03:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Yes of course, doesn't everybody with ADHD have this symptom?lol