ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 11-30-12, 05:47 PM

TashiXO will become famous soon enough
What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

I have had combination ADHD my entire life. And I have a long list of silly things that I have done and have to find humor in, as a result of my ADHD. Here is my top 10.

1. In high school I locked my keys in my car, with the keys in the ignition, with the car running... And didn't realize it until 9 hours later when I got back to my car to drive home

2. I played soccer throughout my life. Soccer requires some equipment i.e. cleats, socks, shinguards, water bottle. I never had everything I needed. Before a big game when I was 17, I realized I forgot my shinguards at home. No one had extras. I found a cardboard box in the trash and cut shin guard shapes out so the refs wouldn't notice I didn't actually have shinguards.

3. I had a short-lived serving career at a restuarant. Now that I am diagnose with ADHD, I realize why serving wasn't the ideal job for me. I was always forgetting orders and forgetting who I had and had not greeted in my section. Being a server was so awful and I dreaded going to work so much because it was so hard. So, one day I faked pink eye so I didn't have to go in. I'm talking Vaseline on my eyelashes, pink eye shadow, and toothpaste in my eye to make it red. Yeah... that's how bad of a waitress I was.

3. I was living near the University when I was in college. After a long day of school full of exams and homework I wasn't prepared for, I went out to the parking lot where I "parked" and my truck wasn't where I left it. I searched and searched and cried and finally involved the police. Shortly after they arrived I remembered I rode my bike to school that day.

4. One day I woke up to go to school and my tires had been slashed. Wonderful. I realized I had to get to school and wasn't going to make it across town without my car. I mapped out a route on the city bus system that would get me near my school. I got off at a wrong stop and wandered the rough area of Albquerque, NM by myself, a 115lb blond with an Abercrombie outfit on. I finally found a stop that would get me back on my original route and eventually made it to work. The bus stopped and I walked to the front and go out. I looked down and realized I didn't have my purse in my hand (A purse that included my tazer, social security card -because it was a good idea to carry that around, phone, wallet, keys and life). Quickly realizing what I had done, I started chasing after the bus that was quickly escaping my proxemics. As I reached full sprint after the bus, I slipped on something slimy and fell to the ground, watching the bus get away. To make matters worse, as I stood up, I realized that I had slipped in dog shi+. This story is absolutley 100% true, unfortunatley.

5. I live in a no shoes inside household. My general ritual which is not practical nor logical, is that I wear my socks around the house in the mornings, grab my shoes on my way out the door, and drive to work in my socks. One day I showed up to work and as I got my stuff together to get out of my car, I realized I FORGOT MY SHOES. Who does that? Work was about 20 minutes away from home. I had to go home to get my shoes and ended up being and hour late for work.

These are my embarassing admissions that I hope can make someone feel better about their own.
Allegra113 (11-29-13), ariwara (05-19-13), Asylum (12-31-13), Bandgeek4269 (02-15-16), chapeltownfs (02-06-13), clairethecat (02-08-13), cr8again (08-13-13), Fuzzy12 (01-29-13), holopickles (09-19-17), Lisa_Mac (10-15-16), mercuranian (09-06-15), MX2012 (10-05-13), phantasm (01-27-14), Rebelyell (09-28-13), stef (12-01-12), Stevuke79 (08-22-13), Sunflower009 (04-09-17), tazoz (05-30-14), Totallywired (10-07-13), T____y (01-14-14), unstableAngel (04-13-17), Vicdaz (02-15-14), WhatwasIsayin (12-08-13), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 12-01-12, 05:12 PM

abitmental will become famous soon enough
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

I bought my car used and it has aftermarket keyless entry installed by the previous owner. Whoever did it did a really bad job of it because they broke the manual locks on the doors in the process and it has practically no range on it.

Anyway, one day I came out of work and I clicked the unlock button and my car went "toot" and it didn't unlock. And I pressed it again, still no unlock. All the doors were locked. So I called insurance to see if I could get someone to come break into my car for me... and as I was talking to the guy I suddenly realized DURR MY IGNITION KEY CAN OPEN THE LOCK. So I went "oh uh it's working now! thanksforyourhelpbye" and ughhhhhh.
Old 12-02-12, 02:48 AM

ohstewardess is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

Ok here are three that I'm willing to admit: (all are work related)

1. When boarding the plane I forgot to stow my suitcase and left it outside on the jetway. The agents must have seen it there and thought it was a gate check. We land and I can't find my bag. I instantly think someone took it by mistake. I search frantically for said person, eventually leading me to the baggage claim area. I find my bad on the carousel with a gate check tag and realize I never put it on the plane. I quickly rip off the tag and proclaim to my crew who have helped me look for the stolen bag for 45min, that someone must of realize they took it and left it.

2. I stood through the safety demo not doing a thing because I thought the video was on. It wasn't until the second flight on the same plane that I realized their was no video system on our plane. The other flight Attendants just laughed at me.(in a good way)

3. During the first class service I unwrapped 4 trays of food and stowed them in a carrier thinking I would be ahead of the game by doing this prep work. As we handed out the trays we got to the last row and I thought catering had shorted us 4 trays. We threw together some stuff that was left over, washed other peoples silverware, and used dessert plates for the last for people. 3hrs later I find the 4 trays I had cleverly prepped for our service. I never told the flight attendant I was working with I was too embarrassed to admit my mistake. :-[
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ohstewardess For This Useful Post:
Allegra113 (11-29-13), BellaVita (12-23-13), MX2012 (10-05-13), Sunflower009 (04-09-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-12, 12:02 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

Went into gas station to pre-pay $40 for gas, drove off withOUT filling up gas tank.

Ended up in the ER, when as a child, tried to take my crutches down the steps...just for fun.

Walked off, quit without notice multiple jobs in moments of anger/impulse.

Was the worst waitress Ever, tried it for a month, could never remember who ordered what dish, etc...I now have a greater appreciation for good waitstaff and tip them well!

Multiple times a week, on impulse shopping trips, can not locate my vehicle in the parking lots.

Multiple times a week, forget to subtract money used on debit cards.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ADDisme2010 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (12-01-16), LaceyM (12-20-12), MX2012 (10-05-13), octoeyes (03-31-13), phantasm (01-27-14), Tmoney (08-13-13), T____y (01-14-14), Vicdaz (02-15-14)
Old 12-08-12, 03:36 AM

ackblerg is on a distinguished road

Heh reading the above posts did make me feel a lot better. Here is a list of my scatterbrained behaviour.

-Forgot to turn up to my own birthday lunch.
-Have left my groceries at the check out counter at the supermarket.
-Once at work I forgot what a spatula was.
-First time putting a computer together I couldn't get it to work, and plugged and replugged everything multiple times before realising that although the power was on, I hadn't switched it on.
-just recently got the date mixed up for my friends wedding, leading to missing the ceremony and a crazy dash to make it to the reception.
The Following User Says Thank You to ackblerg For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (10-05-13)
Old 01-17-13, 09:34 PM
Jr Member

Member1987 is on a distinguished road

1) Forgot who that lady was I worked with for over 7 months...she is my manager. She laughed it off thank goodness.

2) Forgot I ate and had many worried that I maybe very hungry until someone who saw I ate said I did.

3) Pay for food and walk away

4) My mind wonders easily even if busy and sadly as I was day dreaming and staring into space an cute guy all red in the face was staring back wondering when I was going to look away.

Loved everyone elses!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Member1987 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (12-01-16), MX2012 (10-05-13)
Old 01-21-13, 10:08 PM

Moxiegirl13 is on a distinguished road

1) I have only put deodorant on one armpit and I have also shaved one leg.

2) Gotten out of the shower with conditioner still in my hair.

3) forgot that I got a drink from the fridge and get a second...or third.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Moxiegirl13 For This Useful Post:
Allegra113 (11-29-13), BirdyLou (05-08-13), chapeltownfs (02-06-13), ImKitty (02-05-13), kwalk (12-01-16), MX2012 (10-05-13), SpirallingSnowy (02-20-13), tinybike (01-15-15), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 01-29-13, 08:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

kimical has a spectacular aura aboutkimical has a spectacular aura about

I've had many things stolen because I've forgotten them. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson but nope.

Rx: Cymbalta, prolixin (prn), invega, artane, strattera
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimical For This Useful Post:
ImKitty (02-05-13), MX2012 (10-05-13), Rebelyell (09-28-13)
Old 01-31-13, 11:39 AM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

I was at a friend's wedding (the bride) and I was trying to make the point that she looked absolutely beautiful. Out of my mouth comes "Do you have makeup on?" "You look beautiful". I didn't mean she looked beautiful because of the make-up. I meant she looked beautiful regardless (I thought she wasn't wearing any) and she was glowing. I have a picture my mom took at that very moment that captures her reaction. See I can't even type what was going through my head at that moment. Just that it came out completely wrong. She has borderline pd and I think she took quite offense at it, well anyone would have taken offense regardless of their personality, but she took it to a whole 'nother level.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dogluver358 For This Useful Post:
ImKitty (02-05-13), MX2012 (10-05-13), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 01-31-13, 08:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

amiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud of
Talking Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

I just asked my husband to tell me the most ADD thing I've ever done, and he just shook his head and said, "Honey . . . " sort of like, there aren't enough words in existence for me to even start to express all of the hopelessly off kilter and weird and nonsensical things you've done. We've been together 14 years, so he's seen a whole lot of it. I'm almost 40, so it truly could fill volumes. I'll try to pick a few . . .

Which to choose? The time I said my butt was sweaty after a professional meeting, thinking that I had spoken to myself, but realizing I hadn't because of all the horrified looks in my direction? The time that I forgot I had just taken a ceramic baking dish out of the oven two minutes earlier and picked it up with my bare hands? Throwing away $100 gift cards? The time I didn't realize my dog had chewed the heels on my shoes and had to use a Scripto marker to color them in? The inside out shirts? The time a plate exploded at a friend's house because I had put the stove on underneath it and forgot (thank God no one was in the kitchen at the time)? Peeing in my boot as a little kid on the way home from school because I forgot to go to the bathroom? Opening my locker in middle school to a swarm of flies, realizing I had left bananas in my purse over Christmas holiday? Or maybe the time I gave my daughter pink laxative thinking it was amoxicillin (also pink)? Or the time I went all day at college, coming home to realize that my waist length hair was one snarled up knot on the back of my head -- and I hadn't noticed? The running joke with my friends in college that they always knew what I had for dinner because there were always remnants of it left in my hair? And some really unfunny ones . . . which I prefer not to dwell on!!

I don't have time to dredge them all up. Suffice it to say that it has made life interesting, harrowing, and challenging. And sad. And funny. One thing about ADDers, though, is that I think we live life more fully than a lot of normal people. It's hard to stay in a rut too long if you're constantly wandering away from wherever you are!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to amiegrace For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-23-13), ImKitty (02-05-13), MX2012 (10-05-13), phantasm (01-27-14), Sunflower009 (04-09-17), Vicdaz (02-15-14), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 02-01-13, 06:52 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,017 Times in 583 Posts
Asylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud of

So many answers are in my head right now, they're jammed into the door together like the stooges, and I can't answer. It would be easier to talk about the intelligent things I've done despite my stupidhead, lol.
ImKitty (02-05-13), kwalk (12-01-16), Sunflower009 (04-09-17), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 02-01-13, 11:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nicedasikins is just really nice

1) I just sprayed my shower with Resolve (carpet cleaning solution) instead of my Scrubbing Bubbles.

2) I had to have my doctor repeat my biopsy results because I couldn't focus enough to listen.

And the list goes on! I had no idea until a week ago this was even a condition! Wow talk about lack of focus!

Loved hearing everyones
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dasikins For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (10-05-13), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 02-05-13, 02:27 PM

ImKitty is on a distinguished road

I often leave stores without my bags.
I drive away while people are still trying to get in the vehicle.
I once drove away with a customized birthday cake on the roof of my car and didn't notice until I got home.(It wasn't there any more).
I have either lost or locked my keys in my vehicle several times and had to be rescued with the spare set.

Argued with the police once when I was pulled over for doing 160 in an 80 km/hr zone.oops

Hurled a lemon that I grabbed from behind the bar at a womans head without thinking because she was laughing at me for some reason.

Every day is exhausting being me. lol. I feel like a whirlwind. I do lots of stupid things. I hurt myself alot because I don't think things through before I do them.

I had a sudden fit of hysterical giggles in a quiet, in-session court room waiting my turn. I could.not.stop.myself.

I don't know if the above is the ADHD or just that I can be an idiot. lol
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ImKitty For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-23-13), chapeltownfs (02-06-13), MX2012 (10-05-13), phantasm (01-27-14), sloblolly (08-26-13), starry (02-05-13), Stevuke79 (08-22-13), Sunflower009 (04-09-17), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 02-05-13, 09:19 PM

Hhmommy is on a distinguished road

There is at least 1 thing a day. However, these are some of the t ones:

1. Losing my car - all.the.time. I finally made a rule for myself to park in the same general quadrant of parking lots.
2. calling people I know (well) by the wrong name throughout entire conversations before being called out on it - yikes.
3. Forget that I buy something and buy it again - and sometimes three times before my husband says something about it and I realize.
4. Forget about open accounts (have the monthly credit monitoring service so I can get monthly summaries).
5. Make a list - lose the list.

Oh, so many. Good thing I married a super structured man who has patience! Thanks fir sharing everyone I just gave in to starting meds-avoided for years. I have been struggling with coming out of some denial and it is so nice to know others are going through similar experiences.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hhmommy For This Useful Post:
Allegra113 (11-29-13), chapeltownfs (02-06-13), clairethecat (02-08-13), MX2012 (10-05-13), Senegalle (01-07-14), ysabeau (02-07-13)
Old 02-05-13, 09:33 PM
Forum Guru

starry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the rough

A long time ago, locking myself out of my car, that was still running with my bag and my cel phone (with my AAA card in my wallet) inside the car. Had to break my car window after people around me (strangers on the street) tried to open the door with a metal coathanger and couldn't.

Bursting into uncontrollable laughter during class, more than a few times, because I thought about something really funny (while daydreaming and typically moving constantly in my chair, never being able to sit still for more than a minute).
I would laugh so much and couldn't stop, no matter what the teacher yelled at me and everyone staring at me in shock, so I got kicked out of class.
And this would happen up until I graduated from high school.

Forgetting my purse there after having a meal at a restaurant/ at coffee shop after leaving my table/ at the cinema.

Leaving my cel phone at the cash register, after paying in a grocery store/stores in general. Now I try to keep my phone in my purse, despite the fact that I like to have it in my hand at all times.

Locking myself out of the house (thankfully not too many times).

Leaving the grocery store/store without the merchandise I bought, after paying for it/them. The cashier always runs after me or I go back to get them after getting in my car and driving off.

Missed my flight, during a layover, because I was too busy shopping/looking at things in the shops- not hearing any of the announcements calling for boarding.
Had to wait forever for another flight and go deal with a ton of paperwork and beg people not to be charged for a new ticket.
Can't remember anymore if they did charge me or not.

Not keeping track of payments, bills, not keeping all the paper work organized has given me lots and lots of headaches in the past. And still does.

There are just too many unfunny ones with baaaad repercussions, that I won't get into. No need to bum everyone out.

I am proud though that I have never left the stove on, the faucets running, the house door unlocked when going to sleep or a window/sliding glass door open/unlocked when leaving the house.
chapeltownfs (02-06-13), kwalk (12-01-16), MX2012 (10-05-13), ysabeau (02-07-13)