ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 02-18-08, 09:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,807 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute
You know your child is ADHD when...

OK, so here's the place for all those funny stories about our kids. Funny now that we can laugh about it instead of wanting to scream, or cry, or do murder most foul.

(Special thanks to Scattered for the idea)

So, like I posted, it's loads of fun when your kid decided to paint himself, and a bunch of stuff in his room with Desitin and baby powder.

Or how about catching them with tape and scissors because he was going, "to tape the cat's mouth shut to keep him quiet." I had to call my husband and tell him this one at work so he'd get all the laughing done before he got home and couldn't.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
Damage control (09-04-11), FrazzleDazzle (02-18-08), Imnapl (02-23-08), Lovin'Parenting (10-26-10), Scattered (02-18-08)
Old 02-18-08, 09:55 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

You know your child is ADHD when:

She paints herself and the puppy from head to toe in peanut butter!

You have to make two calls to poison control in the same week when she tasted laundry detergent and managed to take off the child proof lid on her daddy's diabetic medication!

When several months after you get one chipped tooth fixed, she jumps off the couch and chips the other one!

You have a track worn around the back yard from your daughter's running while daydreaming!

You're still buying pull ups and you daughter is about to turn 6!

You send her to clean her room and it looks worse when she's done cleaning than before she started!

When for no apparent reason your daughter charges across the kitchen, jumps up on the counter, and accidentally brakes off the faucet.

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend

Last edited by Scattered; 02-18-08 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Thought of more!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scattered For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (02-23-08), johnH (06-15-10), ndnbutterfly (03-06-09), newfiechaos29 (09-09-10)
Old 02-18-08, 10:11 PM

Thanked 23,959 Times in 11,086 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

You know your child is ADHD when she asks you a question and you say "Yes" and she goes ahead and tells you why she wants you to say yes anyway.

Ditto to sending her to clean her room and having it look worse instead of better.

(She just turned 10 - probably dx of ADHD)

Her little sister still wears pullups to bed. (She's 6 too - possible dx of Autism).

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (02-23-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 10:12 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 883 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

You know your child is ADHD when.........

You get a call from school because your ADHD hyperfocused on fixing a pen during recess with scissors, was taken to the ER, to the tune of 6 stitches to the base of the finger.

Your 5-year-old ADHD proudly prances out of his room after receiving his Christmas craft stamp pens with stamps all over his ENTIRE body. (Every single inch of it!)

You discover all of the missing assignments of your innattentive 5th grader in his desk which resides in the back of the room by the window.

You come home to do daily damage control, and are just used to it.

You tuck in your ADHD at night and turn off the lights, and discover that the room has been "painted" with phosphorescent laundry detergent.

You come home one day to find a strange little speck on the ceiling, and one on the cabinet, what's that on the wall and on the tele, and all over his room???? (Spit wads)

You come home on one day to find the dogs ate an entire batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies off of the counter because ADHD left the room to go to the bathroom and forgot that chocolate is toxic to dogs and didn't call mom right away because he didn't want to get into trouble. (What about the frekin dogs????) LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (02-23-08)
Old 02-18-08, 10:18 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all

Lunacie, you reminded me of one.

You know your child is ADHD when she says, "Mom"

You reply, "Yes?"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"What do you want"

"Ummmm..."

The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Scattered For This Useful Post:
5shannon5 (11-03-14), amberwillow (09-07-12), Chelsea17 (07-13-08), clovislorax (07-07-12), cntrykris (06-09-11), eksulli (04-21-12), firstdesserts (08-12-10), GabesMom (03-15-11), Gryphonfyre (01-24-16), HayleyD (06-11-12), helpinholly (12-04-11), HouseFull4+1 (09-24-12), Imnapl (02-23-08), JamieMichelle (09-20-11), Judia (09-06-09), KAA76 (10-11-09), keemekee2 (12-26-08), LambyLottie (07-24-12), Leigha01 (05-30-08), loverainbow (12-30-15), MaddiesMom (01-22-12), maggie403 (01-14-11), MamaTee (11-29-11), Metulla25 (03-27-12), mykidscome1st (12-22-10), ndnbutterfly (03-06-09), newfiechaos29 (09-09-10), nHAVOKz (01-31-13), o TX o (09-03-15), Offle (12-17-11), rae! (04-29-12), RowiesMama (05-25-14), Roxanne111 (01-31-12), SunriseD (11-15-13), tactlcwgrl1 (12-13-08), valeskita (03-23-13), Woman on the Verge (09-17-08)
Old 02-18-08, 11:31 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

You know your child has ADHD, when you are going on a road trip and you pull out of the driveway and you are at the end of the street and they start going, "Are we there yet?".

I used to do that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matt S. For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (09-07-12), Gryphonfyre (01-24-16), Imnapl (02-23-08), Judia (09-06-09), ndnbutterfly (03-06-09), Roxanne111 (01-31-12)
Old 02-19-08, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspen1018 View Post
You know your child has ADHD, when you are going on a road trip and you pull out of the driveway and you are at the end of the street and they start going, "Are we there yet?".

I used to do that.
Yep, my kid does that (so did I -- my parents used to give me anti nausea medicine to help with car sickness and it would put me to sleep -- an added benefit from a kid who couldn't wait to get there). Now what was that medicine call....?

Old 02-19-08, 08:12 AM

j'sdad will become famous soon enough

Ditto on the teeth thing

the boy is on his 3rd!!! set of front teeth!

once on a bottle, once on a bike, once on the bed fram (from Jumping on the bed.everyday.he.gets told. not to jump. on .the bed..

Thank goodness for dental insurance

But he's got a $4000 smile
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j'sdad For This Useful Post:
Judia (09-06-09), supermum (04-14-11)
Old 02-19-08, 09:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

busyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Lunacie, you reminded me of one.

You know your child is ADHD when she says, "Mom"

You reply, "Yes?"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"Yes"

"Mom"

"What do you want"

"Ummmm..."

LOL!! My son does this all the time - he must have known in the beginning what he wanted to ask, but then forgot.

Here's one - perhaps more interesting than funny: My son is in kindergarten and last Christmas his school set a up a dollar-store for the kids to pick out and buy presents for their family members. He bought his Grandma a Sodoku (sp) puzzle book. Grandma recently started doing those puzzles all of the time, but we don't live near each other. He must have seen her doing them once when we visited her - months before, and remembered the name (even though he can only read a few words?!) or perhaps he remembered the look of the puzzles .............and yet, if I ask what he had for lunch, he cannot remember.

"PARADISE... is exactly like where you are right now, only much... much... better..." - Laurie Anderson

I must've gotten here late because I didn't get the hand-out...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to busyhermit For This Useful Post:
goingncircles (08-30-11), HouseFull4+1 (09-24-12), nHAVOKz (01-31-13), Roxanne111 (01-31-12)
Old 02-19-08, 11:33 AM

Thanked 23,959 Times in 11,086 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

You know your child is ADHD when you tell her three times to go and put on her shoes and socks, and three times she comes back barefooted.

You know your child is ADHD when she brings home her homework assignment but forgets the textbook. Three days in a row!

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
badcats (01-10-10), cntrykris (06-09-11), FlusteredCognition (08-20-12), keemekee2 (12-26-08), Leigha01 (05-30-08), MaddiesMom (01-22-12), nHAVOKz (01-31-13), RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 02-19-08, 11:48 AM

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,807 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhermit View Post
LOL!! My son does this all the time - he must have known in the beginning what he wanted to ask, but then forgot.

Here's one - perhaps more interesting than funny: My son is in kindergarten and last Christmas his school set a up a dollar-store for the kids to pick out and buy presents for their family members. He bought his Grandma a Sodoku (sp) puzzle book. Grandma recently started doing those puzzles all of the time, but we don't live near each other. He must have seen her doing them once when we visited her - months before, and remembered the name (even though he can only read a few words?!) or perhaps he remembered the look of the puzzles .............and yet, if I ask what he had for lunch, he cannot remember.
Steven did that to us. We were driving by a Wal Mart that we had gotten pictures taken at a year before and he pops off with, "Look mommy, the picture Wal Mart!" Does he remember what he was doing ten minuets ago? of course not.

Here's a great one, two years old and he undoes the window lock (the two on the window, and the extra screw type we had put on), takes out his screen, places it down (so you know he just didn't knock the thing out), and climbs out his bedroom window! Next thin I know he's trying to get in the back door, but couldn't because the chain was still on. He's standing there with his arm in the door, trying to reach the chain, see me and says, "I can't get in mommy."

My kids are trying to put me in an early grave. it's no wonder that at 29 I have grey hair.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
nHAVOKz (01-31-13), RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 02-19-08, 03:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

SuperChan will become famous soon enough

Draws on the TV, a door on the floor, and on the Wall all inside of 10minutes.

You get called to the daycare 3 times in one week for him climbing on the classroom tables.

You couldn't have said it better Scattered, Chandler does that whole mom thing about 3 times a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperChan For This Useful Post:
RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 02-19-08, 05:19 PM
Jr Member

stacey0721 is on a distinguished road

When your 3 1/2 year old decides he will bake cookies and spills an entire pot of grease in the door of your oven. Took weeks to get all the grease out and $140.00 of new parts!!!
Old 02-19-08, 06:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

busyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nice

When your six-year old still waits until the very last second to run to the toilet (every time), and BARELY makes it, because he can't bother with it until he simply can't hold it anymore.

"PARADISE... is exactly like where you are right now, only much... much... better..." - Laurie Anderson

I must've gotten here late because I didn't get the hand-out...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to busyhermit For This Useful Post:
chic14 (10-17-16), helpinholly (12-04-11), nHAVOKz (01-31-13), RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)
Old 02-19-08, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

SuperChan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhermit View Post
When your six-year old still waits until the very last second to run to the toilet (every time), and BARELY makes it, because he can't bother with it until he simply can't hold it anymore.
Have you been spying on my house?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperChan For This Useful Post:
chapeltownfs (02-06-13), RippinMyHairOut (10-05-12)