ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-17, 02:35 PM

RandMan14 is on a distinguished road
I am tired and lethargic constantly

Hello there,

I am a 37 year old male with ADHD, despression, and just a dash of some minor OCD thrown in to season the stew. I am not overweight at all and I'm in fairly decent shape. I get anywhere from 7 to 10 hours of sleep a night.

In a day, I take 15mg of Lexapro, a 30mg Extended Release Ritalin, and (2) 150mg Wellbutrin SR (one in the morning and one in the afternoon.) Also fish oil and some vitamins/minerals. I used to take Adderall years ago but stopped because it was too intense and really screwed with my mood and irritability.

I wake up in the morning, take a nice hot shower, brew a cup of coffee, and take my meds. And I want to go back to sleep, right away and all day. I am constantly yawning and constantly yearning to lay down and just not do anything. I have no motivation whatsoever and sometimes it's even difficult for me to carry on a conversation with people because I just feel so out of it. It's like I just want to nap all the freaking time.

My psychiatrist is a bit perplexed just like I am because enough sleep, a little caffeine, and medication know to be stimulating is producing quite the opposite effects. Recently I started hearing about L-Tyrosine and how sometimes that can be helpful to add in with other medications and may help with certain issues, but man I am at a complete loss for how to approach this. I need to figure something out quick, however, because it's affecting many aspects of my life in a negative way.

Any insight would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to RandMan14 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (09-23-17)
Old 09-22-17, 03:06 AM

ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough
Re: I am tired and lethargic constantly

I also feel tired a lot (although meds help with this), and often just feel a strong urge to nap just to escape the stress of everyday life.
In my case, I think it's just depression.

Have you talked to your general practitioner about this too?
It could be something like sleep apnea.
Could be some kind of deficiency, a blood analysis should help.

If it is depression, see if you can schedule in something you at least mildly look forward to every day, to get you out of bed.
Working with a therapist should also help a lot.
Old 09-22-17, 01:04 PM

icantbelive93 is on a distinguished road

Have you checked if you have an iron or some other deficiency?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-17, 01:50 PM

Exuberantfrost is on a distinguished road

I hope you do find a solution to this problem. Being lethargic when on medication and suffering from ADHD is unfortunately not that uncommon. I don't believe that is has to be that way, but I believe that it can be quite a challange to find the right solution to this. I haven't myself.. yet at least..
Old 09-23-17, 11:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

adhdseeker will become famous soon enough

I have the same problem but I also have a lot of sleep issues so I usually chalk it up to sleep. Even when I've slept very well, deep, and long, I still struggle. I think it's an issue of stimulation management... I either push myself too hard (easily happens when I drink too much caffeine), or else am bored by the environment. Either way I want to sleep. I think I need to practice existing in a way that's more centered in my energy if that makes sense.
Walking around the block and exercising at least a little bit every day helps a lot but I certainly haven't found a cure by any means.

RandMan14 -- did you experience this before you started taking stimulant medication?

Last edited by adhdseeker; 09-23-17 at 11:33 PM..
Old 09-24-17, 08:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered trying adderall again or some other amphetamine? It sounds like the ritalin isnt cutting it for you.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 10-06-17, 09:00 AM
Jr Member

concentric is on a distinguished road

I was like that too when I drank coffee. It would be a struggle to function and honestly thought I had narcolepsy. I quit the coffee and the horrible lethargy and fatigue vanished. The withdrawal period is not pretty though. Substitute coffee with tea during this period so as to not feel like you're being tortured haha.