ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-17, 04:04 PM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough
It takes SO much effort

I manage to function what appears to be reasonably normally but it takes SO much effort to keep it all going: work, housework, health and hygiene stuff, exercise, etc.

Honestly, I don't know how other people do it without feeling/being drained all the time. Yet at the same time I keep wondering whether it's actually ADHD that is the issue, because I do sort of function albeit not in a pleasant way.

The thought of having ADHD frightens me but the thought of not having it possibly scares me even more. If it's not ADHD then what is it? Why is every day life so bloody hard for me? Today I was told that my thyroid is most likely not to blame either
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-25-17), Fraser_0762 (10-25-17), namazu (10-25-17), peripatetic (10-26-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-25-17), stef (10-25-17), WhiteOwl (10-25-17)
Old 10-25-17, 04:46 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,216 Times in 12,816 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It takes SO much effort

I was in exactly the same situation, well I was sure I must have adhd but thenso afraid I didn't..
I was diagnosed last month.
How do other people do it? ADHD is draining! you might be using up way more energy just keeping things together and doing simple tasks than you even realize, every single day. aand then the anxiety it all generates also takes its toll.

And had NO IDEA, until I actually started the meds.

If you think you might have ADHD, seek treatment, it may change your life.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-25-17), Arthos (10-25-17), Fraser_0762 (10-25-17), Little Missy (10-25-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-25-17), thorfinnur (11-01-17), WhiteOwl (10-25-17)
Old 10-25-17, 07:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,043 Times in 462 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I've always asked myself the same question. I was happy to finally get the ADD diagnosis I should have gotten over a decade ago, it's been a long time coming. I finally had an answer for why I've always been such a screw up at life. I have to expend so much energy just to function at half the level normal people do.

Depression, vitamin deficiency, poor sleep, etc. can also make it difficult to function, but it would be a good idea to get evaluated, especially if you've been struggling all your life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-26-17), Little Missy (10-25-17), stef (10-26-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-17, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,832 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been tested for diabetes?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-26-17)
Old 10-26-17, 10:00 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
I was in exactly the same situation, well I was sure I must have adhd but thenso afraid I didn't..
I was diagnosed last month.
How do other people do it? ADHD is draining! you might be using up way more energy just keeping things together and doing simple tasks than you even realize, every single day. aand then the anxiety it all generates also takes its toll.

And had NO IDEA, until I actually started the meds.

If you think you might have ADHD, seek treatment, it may change your life.
Thanks, that sounds plausible. I got my referral this week. Am looking at about a 3 month wait for the assessment or paying a load to go private. Still undecided about that. It would be amazing if meds would be such an epiphany for me, but I feel like I can't get my hopes up lest I be disappointed again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
I've always asked myself the same question. I was happy to finally get the ADD diagnosis I should have gotten over a decade ago, it's been a long time coming. I finally had an answer for why I've always been such a screw up at life. I have to expend so much energy just to function at half the level normal people do.

Depression, vitamin deficiency, poor sleep, etc. can also make it difficult to function, but it would be a good idea to get evaluated, especially if you've been struggling all your life.
That's it for me too, apparently spending much more energy and not getting close to how most people function. But then again I can't look in people's heads so how would I know for sure? For all I know everyone struggles with day-to-day life but someone manages to cope whereas I cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Have you been tested for diabetes?
I have been tested for so many things over the years including diabetes (glucose is always perfect). Have also been treated for so many things that might have been a cause of my symptoms (both ADHD and physical) including a vitamin D deficiency and a dozen of things on the list of "50 conditions that mimic ADHD".

None of it ever had a noticably effect on my ADHD symptoms. That's how I explained myself to my GP to get the referral. At any point in my life I could always point to something as a reason/excuse for my symptoms, but in the end no matter what changes in my life the ADHD symptoms are always still there
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-26-17), Fraser_0762 (10-26-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-26-17), stef (10-26-17)
Old 10-26-17, 12:59 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthos View Post
The thought of having ADHD frightens me but the thought of not having it possibly scares me even more. If it's not ADHD then what is it?
I feel like this sometimes, too.

My initial diagnosis process five years ago wasn't the most thorough. The two people who diagnosed me (a clinical psychologist and a psychiatrist) didn't ask me to fill out any long questionnaires or do any formal testing of any sort. Nothing like the hours of tests that some people have reported here in this forum. They just talked to me and took notes.

So, sometimes I can't help wondering if someday I'll be asked by a new doctor to do a more thorough evaluation or perhaps some genetic test for ADHD will be discovered, and I'll be told that I never did have ADHD at all. It was all a mistake...LOL.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-26-17), Arthos (10-26-17), WhiteOwl (10-26-17)