ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 01-18-18, 04:43 PM

FranklinWathert is on a distinguished road
Identifying: am I ADD/ADHD?

I am an older guy that is at a huge medical crossroads and one of the issues is IDing whether or not I am dealing with ADD/ADHD or it is other medical issues that are making my life a huge challenge.

I am no longer able to read a book because I cannot focus.

I cant read long directions, in fact much more than a sentence and I give up and move on.

I refuse to read anything that isn't broken into short paragraphs because I get lost.

Do I sound like you? I need help in identifying what I am living with.
Old 01-18-18, 09:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,135 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Identifying: am I ADD/ADHD?

Yes, share your difficulties with your doctor.

Inability to concentrate could be a lot of things ... anxiety ... hormonal imbalances ... heart issues ... there are lots of health problems that interfere with concentration and ... yes, you could ADHD.

Start by sharing this with your doctor. Even a primary care doctor. This is important info, and it could be related even to your other health issue. Start sharing the issue.

Was there ever a time you could read a book and length directions? ... if so, you want to explain to the doctor ... and go from there.

But first step, I would say it's more important to describe to a doctor the problems you're having before guessing at the diagnosis and condition. Later, you can share that you want to be checked for ADHD. But for now, just mention the concentration issues. That's enough.

Good luck.

Tone