ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 03-02-18, 04:24 PM

justtooadd is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin and Focalin

A little background: I have ADHD-PI, depression, and social anxiety. I started treatment with Wellbutrin alone about 8 months ago. Started with 150 MG XL and felt great! Increased motivation, more outgoing, no increased anxiety. However, I felt like the Wellbutrin was wearing off in the late afternoon.

My doctor suggested either splitting the dose with 2 instant release doses or increase dose to 300 MG XL. I chose the latter. The next few weeks I felt off. Tired all the time, irritable, easily exhausted, etc. I stuck with it and a couple months later those side effects went away. Fast forward a few months and I notice that I'm hyperfocusing on the wrong things, I'm distracted at work, etc.

The Wellbutrin, although it was helping with motivation and energy, I was not able to channel it properly. I'd had success on Ritalin years earlier, but my doctor suggested I try adding Focalin, since I tended to prefer longer lasting over short acting. I started with the minimum dose of 5 MG. I felt absolutely wonderful. Motivation, energy, and most importantly I could channel my focus on productive things. However, it would go away around 2 PM and I'd feel extremely exhausted all the sudden. I did try taking more around that time and it didn't seem to help.

Over the next few weeks I was titrated to 15 MG XR once a day, which is what I'm on now. I don't feel excellent, but I'm not sure what to do. I take the 300 MG XL Wellbutrin and 15 MG XR Focalin at the same time every morning, 6AM. It seems to work great the first 3 hours and slowly and slowly I start to feel tired. It does seem to be getting a little better every day, so I'm hesitant to change anything at this point.

Has anyone been on this combo? If so, have you experienced this? I'd like to try only the Focalin, but I'm afraid of bringing myself to the beginning as far as motivation. I'm just so frustrated. My doctor is monitoring my progress closely and he did suggest I stop taking the Wellbutrin, but ultimately put it in my hands.

I have a theory as to what may be happening. The Wellbutrin may be at it's peak roughly 6 to 8 hours after taking it, which could be causing me to feel overstimulated. The reason I believe this is I still feel focused when the tiredness kicks in, but I still feel tired and flushed.
Old 03-02-18, 07:34 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,216 Times in 14,323 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wellbutrin and Focalin

I think this is a stimulant dose related issue and I think if you were able to take 2 or 3 ir doses you would feel better.

I carried a watermelon?