ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 06-22-05, 09:50 PM
Contributor

Fly Away is on a distinguished road
150 mg vs 300 mg?

I read the therapeutic dosage of Wellbutrin is 300 mg. That is what I am on. I am doing fine on that but my goal is to be unmedicated if I can swing it. I wanted to drop down to 150 mg and try that out but wondered if its not really worth the bother is its below the therapeutic dose. Or maybe that shouldn't matter if my goal is to be off of it eventually. Are any of you on 150 mg?
Old 07-07-05, 08:25 AM
Jr Member

nivek is on a distinguished road
I have been on 150 for about 7 months and have little or no side effects. I did the 300 for about a month but seemed at the time too strong for me. I would like to increase to 300. What do you mean by the therapeutic effect?
Old 07-24-05, 09:16 PM

woodswoman has disabled reputation
I did the 150mg for several weeks, then went to 300mg. I don't really notice much difference in either dose. I assume it's working becuase my emotions have leveled out quite a bit, but then again my stress is leveling out too.

It seems different dosages work for different people. I've read where a lot can't tolerate 300 mg and are doing great on the 150mg. I guess I'm doing well on the 300...

good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-05, 09:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
I had been on 150 mg for several months, and twice tried upping to 300 mg. Both times, I experienced terrible irritability and side effects. I can definitely say 150 mg was the theraputic dose for me.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 07-25-05, 03:42 PM

badders has disabled reputation
i was on 150mg for about 2 weeks. the effect on my mood was from none at all to very mild.

300mg has a little bit more pronounced effect but it is still mild.
Old 05-28-08, 03:28 PM

Brooklynn is on a distinguished road
Re: Wellbutrin 150 mg vs 300 mg?

Hi all,

I've never joined a group like this, but I thought it might be good to share a bit and gain a little wisdom from others in the area of ADD/ Wellbutrin and Adderall.

About 6 years ago I was on Paxil and went from 130lb to 215lbs. After 2 years being off of that evil medicine and losing the weight, I knew I needed to try something again to help with the depression/add/BPD symptoms. I was a monster on paxil and now I'm absolutely devoid of life having been on Wellbutrin.

I've been using Wellbutrin for over a year and a half now and have went from the 150mg to the 300mg several times. All the time I cut back to 150, it was because of blurry vision and insomnia. Not to mention the medicine would begin to lose it's effectiveness and I'd give up on it for a week or two and then start it up again. It's not a steady ride with any of these meds. The effects wax and wane. Even if you take it all the time.

I'm back on adderall 10mg twice a day and starting tonight, I'm going back on the 300mg wellbutrin from having been on 150mg for a month with no luck. I'm not suicidal, but all I think of is dying. I do cut and yesterday, I cut myself up pretty bad on my arms again. There's no where else for the pain to go sometimes.

I'll post again when I notice a difference on the 300mg. I've gotta stop cutting. I'm hoping the dark cloud will part a bit, because this is getting really bad now.

Thanks for reading my post
Old 05-28-08, 04:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 974 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold
Re: 150 mg vs 300 mg?

my 150 mg did fine for me for the depression... the only reason I was switched to 300 mg is because it helped keep me from getting tense...whereas my back would go into spasms.

It's worth a try... good luck!

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 05-30-08, 06:38 PM

amg7613 will become famous soon enough

For me, personally (5'5 115 lbs...don't know if weight makes a difference, but primary care said it did) the Wellbutrin XL 150 mg. has worked wonders for me. I might switch to the generic SR...150 mg BID...wouldn't that be like taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg.?? I don't know...I think so since SR is twice daily. Adderall by itself caused a lot of mood swings when it wore off...but with the Wellbutrin, I don't have the Adderall after effects. So, in other words...150 mg works just fine...I am afraid I might be too giddy with 300 mg
Old 06-05-08, 10:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

hillzy has a spectacular aura abouthillzy has a spectacular aura about

I'm on 300mg of Wellbutrin XR .. does anyone find that 300mg is NOT enough? After several failed attempts at Wellbutrin (I'm now an ex-smoker, which is why I couldn't stay on Wellbutrin, because it was forcing me to quit smoking even though I didn't want to/wasn't ready, which caused severe anxiety) I've been on it successfully now for about 6 months.

After the first month or so, I noticed a huge difference in terms of my motivation, but now I feel it's waning .. anyone else have a similar experience? I notice that emotionally, I'm much more stable then I used to be, but my work ethic is in the dumps right now, and normally I have a very strong one. Anyone here on a higher dosage then 300mg?
Old 06-05-08, 11:19 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

newfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of light

I am on 400 (200 2X) That was from 300.

I was taking Wellbutrin for depression prior to knowing I had ADD. Started at 150 then 300 now 400. My depression came back due to several life changes and added Lexapro. Now my depression was fixed and the Strattera was not cutting it for the motivation issues, so now we are trying Ritalin 10mg 2X. It's good while it lasts, problem is, the max is about 3 hours.

Since you quit smoking that could also be part of the ADD problem as the nicotine is a stimulant, I know it affected me.

Good luck
Old 06-06-08, 09:40 AM
Contributor

gogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillzy View Post
I'm on 300mg of Wellbutrin XR .. does anyone find that 300mg is NOT enough? After several failed attempts at Wellbutrin (I'm now an ex-smoker, which is why I couldn't stay on Wellbutrin, because it was forcing me to quit smoking even though I didn't want to/wasn't ready, which caused severe anxiety) I've been on it successfully now for about 6 months.

After the first month or so, I noticed a huge difference in terms of my motivation, but now I feel it's waning .. anyone else have a similar experience? I notice that emotionally, I'm much more stable then I used to be, but my work ethic is in the dumps right now, and normally I have a very strong one. Anyone here on a higher dosage then 300mg?
450. Three hundred wasn't enough. Luckily my doctor has no problems with the higher dose if your weight is enough. Apparently if you're under 140 lbs the chance of seizures increases. I did feel a big jump in motivation from 300 to 450. I dropped down a couple of months ago to 400 (300 XL and 100 SR) and noticed a big difference with just a lower dose of 50 mgs.

However, having said all that, in Canada the highest recommended dose is 300. In the US, apparently it's 450. So, your doctor might be reluctant to increase your dosage depending on how aggressively he or she is used to treating ADD.
Old 06-06-08, 10:11 AM
Banned

asdfasdf is on a distinguished road

Well, you will save some money on the 300mg, since it is available in generic.
Old 06-06-08, 02:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

hillzy has a spectacular aura abouthillzy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo View Post
However, having said all that, in Canada the highest recommended dose is 300. In the US, apparently it's 450. So, your doctor might be reluctant to increase your dosage depending on how aggressively he or she is used to treating ADD.
The doctor that I go to specializes in the treatment of ADHD of all ages .. I actually saw his name dropped on the forum here by a few people. He seems happy to readily prescribe whatever I want, I just thought I'd ask around and see what people have to say. My own experience is all I have to go on right now, so hearing other opinions/experience would be helpful.

"...You are not to blame for your bittersweet distractors"--Radiohead
Old 07-30-08, 02:13 PM
Jr Member

MaMudduck is on a distinguished road

I just recently started taking Wellbutrin. I've been taking Prozac, 40 mg for more than 2 years. I started Wellbutrin 150mg 4 weeks ago and definitly started feel good, 10 days ago the doctor increased me to 300mg and I've have a headache specifiatly the base of my head everyday...

Anyone else experince this? Is my dosage now too high or do I need to give it more time?
Old 05-30-13, 08:51 PM

Caitlin80 is on a distinguished road

I'm a licensed social worker and myself on Welbutrin 150mg/day. What is meant when people say the therapeutic dosage is the amount of mg needed to see a therapeutic change in symptoms. What change in symtpoms depends on what you were prescribed the medication for- it could be smoking cessation, anxiety, depression or adhd. There is usually a minimum therapeutic dosage for every medication. For Wellbutrin it's 150mg/day. However, some people may require a higher dosage to get the therapeutic benefits from a medication. So the best thing to do is talk to your doctor if the medication isn't working or you're having side effects and hey can make he necessary adjustments. Typically you're started on a lower dosage and then if here's no therapeutic benefit, the medication is increased. It's also important to note that Aellbutrin takes 4-6 weeks in your system before you typically notice any benefits, so keeptwking it unless here's side effects and communicate with your doctor. Hope his is helpful and good luck!!