ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 10-17-17, 02:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all
Re: Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
In the DSM-V, severity of ODD is determined by whether the presentation of behaviors occurs in one, two, or three or more situations/domains, indicative of mild, moderate, and severe degrees, respectively.

It is entirely possible for a child diagnosed as ODD to be well-behaved at school, and belligerent, defiant, and spiteful/vindictive at home.

Cheers,
Ian
Wait, what? So ODD can be just with your parents, it's not all authority figures? Can someone point me to a website to learn more, how does the brain say "defy this person of authority but not that person"?
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,376 Times in 11,790 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Wait, what? So ODD can be just with your parents, it's not all authority figures? Can someone point me to a website to learn more, how does the brain say "defy this person of authority but not that person"?
There are many websites that share this information. Here is just one:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/con-20024559 which says in part ...

Quote:
ODD can vary in severity:

Mild. Symptoms occur only in one setting, such as only at home, school,
work or with peers.
Moderate. Some symptoms occur in at least two settings.
Severe. Some symptoms occur in three or more settings.

For some children, symptoms may first be seen only at home, but with
time extend to other settings, such as school and with friends.
As I mentioned before, even at home the child may only oppose one parent,
usually the mom.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-17), WhiteOwl (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 04:01 PM

Thanked 14,543 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Correct...and I am glad Lunacie helped you with the other part.

A Google search for the DSM-V info will get you many links...the Mayo Clinic link is especially good.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-17-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-17, 06:34 PM

Thanked 21,086 Times in 11,256 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been oppositionally defiant for Days now.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-17), WhiteOwl (10-17-17)
Old 11-06-17, 01:29 PM
Jr Member

andiemarie is on a distinguished road

Hi,

My son sounds just like yours except he doesn't listen to authority figures... he has kicked teachers and ran home from school with the school councillor chasing him all the way home.
My understanding is that ODD is a symptom of ADHD and they go hand in hand. My son has been on med since he was 5.5 and we are trying to tweak now it as the meds he was on was, I think, too strong and he was very emotional when he came off them. I would consider looking into trying meds maybe a low does to start off and see if it helps. I know it's young, believe me it breaks my heart, but I do feel like even at a young age they need the help to give them the best start. My son is known to be the 'bad boy' at school and I don't want him to loose self esteem as I know he wants to be good, he just doesn't know how as his brain is not wired like other kids. I'm no expert here, still trying to figure things out, but I do think it's worth looking into.
The Following User Says Thank You to andiemarie For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-11-17)
Old 11-07-17, 05:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,156 Times in 14,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiemarie View Post
Hi,

My son sounds just like yours except he doesn't listen to authority figures... he has kicked teachers and ran home from school with the school councillor chasing him all the way home.
My understanding is that ODD is a symptom of ADHD and they go hand in hand.
They might go hand in hand as in many kids have both but ODD is not a symptom of adhd.

Quote:
My son has been on med since he was 5.5 and we are trying to tweak now it as the meds he was on was, I think, too strong and he was very emotional when he came off them. I would consider looking into trying meds maybe a low does to start off and see if it helps. I know it's young, believe me it breaks my heart, but I do feel like even at a young age they need the help to give them the best start.
Yes, we want to level the playing field for our kids.

Quote:
My son is known to be the 'bad boy' at school and I don't want him to loose self esteem as I know he wants to be good, he just doesn't know how as his brain is not wired like other kids. I'm no expert here, still trying to figure things out, but I do think it's worth looking into.
Im sorry that your son is the "bad boy" I hate that kids with adhd get labeled this way. Dont give up on trying meds. If I may ask, what meds has he tried and what is he on now?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-07-17, 02:16 PM
Jr Member

andiemarie is on a distinguished road

Hi there sarahsweets,

My son was on biphentin started 10mg that didn't help.. then 15mg, noticed a difference but not a whole lot. Then tried 20mg and it seemed ok for awhile, but the side effects were really challenging (not eating, up until after 11pm) and then noticed he was very emotional while taking them, so we stopped and now are talking to our ped tomorrow to see what he suggests. I am not sure what would work for him, but I am hopeful we can find the right medication.

I was told recently that the ODD was a symptom, but this was from someone who is an adult with adhd, so it wasn't a professional. I think he meant that it goes hand in hand. I recently read "Scattered Mind" by Gabor Mate and he discusses counter will a lot which helped me understand.
Old 11-11-17, 02:04 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,229 Times in 519 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiemarie View Post
Hi,

My understanding is that ODD is a symptom of ADHD and they go hand in hand. My son has been on med since he was 5.5 and we are trying to tweak now it as the meds he was on was, I think, too strong and he was very emotional when he came off them. I would consider looking into trying meds maybe a low does to start off and see if it helps. I know it's young, believe me it breaks my heart, but I do feel like even at a young age they need the help to give them the best start. My son is known to be the 'bad boy' at school and I don't want him to loose self esteem as I know he wants to be good, he just doesn't know how as his brain is not wired like other kids. I'm no expert here, still trying to figure things out, but I do think it's worth looking into.
Thank you. I think ODD is one comorbid disorder that can occur along with ADHD, but is not present in everyone. Just like the other comorbid disorders (anxiety, depression, etc.). Not sure how prevalent it is, though.

I'm thinking my son doesn't quite qualify as ODD. He seems close, but not quite there. I wonder, how do you tell the difference between arguing and whining? Most of what he does is whine for something he wants after I've told him no, or whine because he doesn't want to do something I've told him to do. I know this is normal to some extent at this age, but he does it A LOT. I know frequent arguing is a symptom of ODD, but I don't know if that's what this is? I did not go through this with my older kids, he's definitely the most defiant.