ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-13-17, 05:44 PM

adhdorlazy is on a distinguished road
How do I know if it's ADHD or just laziness?

TL;DR: I have about half the symptoms but the others are not relatable to me at all

Just a sidenote, I know that if I want to know for sure, I should see a doctor about this; so maybe please don't tell me to do so. I'm here to see what people who might have been diagnosed in the past think about my condition. Also, some important info that might be relevant: I'm from USA and I'm 18 Male.

Here's what I have observed about myself (that seem to be accurate with ADHD) for the past two years now, and some reflections to years before that (I know that my memory might be unreliable):
  1. Bad in focusing at menial tasks (homework, driving, folding clothes) but good at active things (ultimate frisbee, action videogames, going *a little* over the speed limit). Going even slightly under the speed limit makes me want to sleep within 10 minutes of slow driving.
  2. Bad with dates and appointments but very good at organizing my room or writing essays once I get really into it
  3. I lose track of things like my jacket, books, water bottle, and special pen, but very easy to catch small details like someone peeking through the door or small noises in the hallway
  4. Constantly interrupts people but incoherent when I talk, avoid small talk, zone out, blurt out answers when I can predict where the question is going
  5. Creative and ultra-smart sometimes. I sometimes amaze others or even myself at what I can do when under pressure (have won my fair share of competitions/aced essays and tests from procrastination). Most of the time I don't even study (because it's boring) but I get As in all classes.
  6. Disorganized room, study desk and computer
  7. Easily focused with music/TV show on

On the other hand, here are some things with myself that I find inconsistent with ADHD symptoms:
  1. I don't fidget. I fidget with my legs sometimes when excited/focused or swing my torso when bored, but I don't generally catch myself fidgeting.
  2. I have no overwhelming thoughts. I mostly just zone out then when I think about what I *was* thinking, it's either nothing or I couldn't remember
  3. I don't excessively talk. I am a pretty shy introvert and I mostly only talk a lot when my friends stop talking/let me talk/I interrupt them to say one word then let them talk again.
  4. I don't run around when I'm bored.

Some of these might not be ADHD symptoms at all, but I have watched some videos where people share their ADHD stories and I just agreed/disagreed as to whether I also experience them or not.

Thoughts? Do any of you share these same conditions as I do?

Any helpful responses would be greatly appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to adhdorlazy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-13-17)
Old 10-13-17, 07:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,618 Times in 5,594 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I know if it's ADHD or just laziness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdorlazy View Post
Do any of you share these same conditions as I do?
Im not shy, nor am I an introvert, and #4 of the first list is not me, but the rest describes me pretty damned well when unmedicated.

FWIW, I am diagnosed ADHD-PI, severe degree. The only hyperactive aspect of me is my mind.

Cheers,
Ian
stef (10-14-17)
Old 10-13-17, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,095 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

So there are two sides to ADHD ... and this is gradually going away.

There is ADHD-Inattentive ... people who have problems with attention.

There is ADHD-hyperactive ... the moving around and all of that.

Some people have both sides. And the two sides share a lot in common.

So the traits you list in the "pro" category are very much part of the inattentive side of ADHD. I'm on that side. I don't run around. But I hate doing paperwork. Cannot fill out a form without making a mistake ... used to take me like 10 hours to fill out a paper IRS form, and even then, I would have cross-outs and the like.

The second category you list fit more the ADHD-hyperactive.

Awhile back ... some people used to call "inattentive" ADD ... and hyperactive ADHD. Now psychiatrists see them as part of the same condition.

And by the way, the problem with "laziness" is ... well, how to do you solve that one? ... I have a friend who has a slow metabolism and needs lots of sleep. Is he lazy? ... I used to avoid doing a lot of work because I was afraid and had depression. Was I lazy. I think "laziness" is a useless concept.

You want to get more specific, what's causing the lack of action that we call "laziness."

Two of the smartest and most high-achieving people I know ... they are both lawyers, and both work minimal hours. By minimal, I mean 95 percent of their colleagues work way more hours than they do.

And yet these two people somehow get more done in short periods than others. But they both make a point to keep their work hours limited. Are they lazy? ... Are you kidding me! These guys are highly effective. And smart. They simply don't want to make work the center of their lives.

Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-13-17), stef (10-14-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-17, 06:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,284 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Because IMO laziness implies intent. Like you have to do the dishes but you dont care your would rather do something else and wait for someone else to do it vs you want to do the dishes but its so overwhelming you dont know where to start or your start them and get distracted by a knock on the door....

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (10-14-17)
Old 10-14-17, 06:51 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,117 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Because IMO laziness implies intent. Like you have to do the dishes but you dont care your would rather do something else and wait for someone else to do it vs you want to do the dishes but its so overwhelming you dont know where to start or your start them and get distracted by a knock on the door....
It's only been since starting meds, that I can clearly see the difference.
a lot of my procrastinating at work, was due to solely feeling overwhelmed; i could barely look at my to-do list; i'd need a break from thinkng; yet sometimes it was just having a quiet day and feeling really like just not working.

i have almost everything you describe above; except ok with certain menial tasks once i get gong; not good at active things or driving; i dont often interrupt' but thats from being shy.
Old 10-15-17, 12:59 PM

adhdorlazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdorlazy View Post
TL;DR: I have about half the symptoms but the others are not relatable to me at all

Just a sidenote, I know that if I want to know for sure, I should see a doctor about this; so maybe please don't tell me to do so. I'm here to see what people who might have been diagnosed in the past think about my condition. Also, some important info that might be relevant: I'm from USA and I'm 18 Male.

Here's what I have observed about myself (that seem to be accurate with ADHD) for the past two years now, and some reflections to years before that (I know that my memory might be unreliable):
  1. Bad in focusing at menial tasks (homework, driving, folding clothes) but good at active things (ultimate frisbee, action videogames, going *a little* over the speed limit). Going even slightly under the speed limit makes me want to sleep within 10 minutes of slow driving.
  2. Bad with dates and appointments but very good at organizing my room or writing essays once I get really into it
  3. I lose track of things like my jacket, books, water bottle, and special pen, but very easy to catch small details like someone peeking through the door or small noises in the hallway
  4. Constantly interrupts people but incoherent when I talk, avoid small talk, zone out, blurt out answers when I can predict where the question is going
  5. Creative and ultra-smart sometimes. I sometimes amaze others or even myself at what I can do when under pressure (have won my fair share of competitions/aced essays and tests from procrastination). Most of the time I don't even study (because it's boring) but I get As in all classes.
  6. Disorganized room, study desk and computer
  7. Easily focused with music/TV show on

On the other hand, here are some things with myself that I find inconsistent with ADHD symptoms:
  1. I don't fidget. I fidget with my legs sometimes when excited/focused or swing my torso when bored, but I don't generally catch myself fidgeting.
  2. I have no overwhelming thoughts. I mostly just zone out then when I think about what I *was* thinking, it's either nothing or I couldn't remember
  3. I don't excessively talk. I am a pretty shy introvert and I mostly only talk a lot when my friends stop talking/let me talk/I interrupt them to say one word then let them talk again.
  4. I don't run around when I'm bored.

Some of these might not be ADHD symptoms at all, but I have watched some videos where people share their ADHD stories and I just agreed/disagreed as to whether I also experience them or not.

Thoughts? Do any of you share these same conditions as I do?

Any helpful responses would be greatly appreciated!
O and I also want to add the fact that have a million books in my room that I swore I was going to read but now they're just there collecting dust because I am a very slow reader and it makes me sleep if I'm not very into it, and that I started this post in the wrong "sub-forum" because I saw the words "forum" and "help" and I just clicked it Thanks to the mods for moving it though!

Also, do any of you know any resources I could use to maybe seek psych help? I am 18 (so I'm not qualified for underage free psych analysis) and price is a bit of a concern because I don't have much savings.
Old 10-15-17, 06:23 PM

cedardust is on a distinguished road

Just regarding the title adhd or laziness.... I've asked myself that one a number of times. So many things I have such a hard time doing that most people do every day without even thinking about it. Why? I don't find them interesting at all. I have to prepare myself to do boring tasks. and I have to put the carrot in front of my nose....if I do this, then I get that as a reward type of thing. It usually doesn't work. But when I think about it I can't attribute it to being lazy at all because I am anything but lazy. I have so many different projects going on at one time, and I'm constantly trying to make the most of every movement, which basically makes me half way multitask all the time. I say half way because I never fully complete any task even though I'm always working on tasks. So how is it that im always doing something but never getting anything done? Maybe this doesn't completely relate to what you're saying, but it's just my take on my own questioning of the same thing. Really IDK what I'm saying right now, there are too many distractions...somehow the people in my life dont get it that I can't focus on 2 different conversations at once.

But you know yourself best, and you seem like you're pretty analytical concerning your own behaviors. Forums are helpful to read up on adhd, but if you can access data bases in your school to pull up peer reviewed research articles about ADHD that might help too. I think that access is one of the things i miss the most about college. Good luck to you!
Old 10-15-17, 06:56 PM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

I have beaten myself up over "being lazy" for so long. In the end it comes down to whether you are genuinely trying or not. The fact that I get nothing done or spent no time at all focused on my work, doesn't mean that I am not trying for hours to get things done. And trying for hours (even if it's to no avail) is anything but lazy.
Old 10-20-17, 02:01 AM

MilosM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthos View Post
I have beaten myself up over "being lazy" for so long. In the end it comes down to whether you are genuinely trying or not. The fact that I get nothing done or spent no time at all focused on my work, doesn't mean that I am not trying for hours to get things done. And trying for hours (even if it's to no avail) is anything but lazy.
This is the worst part of it. When you put so much effort, and others around you just see your lack of results and conclude that you are lazy.

To the OP, isn't 7 opposite to ADHD? If I could focus while someone is watching a TV, or doing anything near me for that matter, I wouldn't even notice I have any mental problems at all.

Also, how are you able to get all A's? Do you find your classes fun?
Personally I find classes to be the most boring thing in the universe, and studying/homework a close second. Not to mention that in classes you have more important things to focus on, like what is going on outside or which color are your friends shoelaces today.
Old 10-21-17, 12:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilosM View Post
Also, how are you able to get all A's?
I can't answer for the OP, but may I suggest a possibility. Much information supports the concept that "strong working memory" is one of the most common traits for academic standouts. For if you have good short-term memory, it allows you to store relevant information into memory, faster than otherwise. Folks with poor short-term memory soak up a lot of information but cannot hold onto it long enough to filter the necessary from the unnecessary, what happens is you basically store a load of garbage, bits and pieces that add up to nothing. Very common for ADHD, this is.

Still, there appears to be a subgroup of ADHD who actually has good short-term memory, which is something I don't understand--as I see it, ADHD has a raging problem with short-term memory--but it's there.

It's possible I could be wrong and maybe some other quality explains the "good student with ADHD who doesn't need to study." But the only thing that makes sense to me is, these ADD folks must have more access to working memory than us lesser ADDers who study hard but still fail all the time. It's really "short-term memory" that governs much of what we call academic learning, at the end of the day.
Old 11-07-17, 08:11 PM

echevarriac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: How do I know if it's ADHD or just laziness?

Many of your traits are similar to me as well. The lack of any of the traits doesn't mean you don't have ADD/ADHD and since you are older, some of the traits such as fidgeting could have worked themselves out, over time.