ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-16-17, 09:11 PM

Nightman96 is on a distinguished road
Could my new job be affecting the effectiveness of my meds? Problems with new job.

Hi addforums,
I recently started a new job working in a warehouse and have just completed my 6th day. I believe I've noticed a decrease in the effectiveness of my medicines. My job requires a lot of physical labor such as lifting items up to 100 lbs and walking between 10-15 miles a day. The first half of the day is mainly physical labor. The later half, after lunch, requires cognitive focus to complete work such as paper work, counting, inventory, and other tasks that require attention to detail. These issues (listed below) seem to arise later on in my 8 hour shift. I hit this wall and can't seem to rebound. Please note that these issues don't happen every day. They've happened enough times to interfere with my day to day life.

1. Racing and compulsive thoughts. (which leads to forgetfulness and concentration issues?). My short term memory and concentration becomes trash. What should be simple tasks become frustratingly difficult. One example of these tasks is taking count of packages that get delivered. We take packages from the driver and put them on a rack while also keeping count to compare with the driver's count at the end. I either forget the number when I move from the rack of shipments to help driver unload the truck or I recount the boxes dozens compulsively, trying not to screw up. Of course I just end up confusing myself and come to the wrong number more times than I deem acceptable.
2. Irritability. I become easily agitated which is not a personality trait of mine. Little things that usually don't get under my skin now do.
3. Mood changes. In the morning I'm happy, smiling, talkative, optimistic for the day, etc. However as the day goes on I find it harder to carry the positive, happy-go-lucky attitude. I get so far in my head trying to focus and do my my best. This leads to tuning out the people and world around me and my attitude becoming neutral. I get so engrossed in my work that I forget to try to be a good/enjoyable co-worker to work with. This may be a good trait for strictly working as I focus on work but I also want to be friendly to promote a healthy environment. Hours after work has ended I become gloomy. Not depression, just pessimistic and not my "normal" state of mind. Sometimes everything starts to feel meaningless and I ask myself what's the point in trying.
4. Naps. Everyday once I get off I immediately crash. These naps can last up to 3 hours. I set alarms but once they sound I just turn them off. I seem to have no self control of doing so because I don't even remember waking up to turn it off.
5. Burnt out, cloudy headed feeling. I start to read slower and take more time to process what I hear and read.
6. Loss of interest in hobbies, spending time with family and friends. I used to enjoy my hobbies and visiting/hanging with family and friends almost daily. Since I've started this job I have not done either. I've texted them about hanging out but neither of us follow through. I call my parents every few days just to check in but that's about it.
7. Hyper-focusing. I know I said I was having trouble focusing, but over analyzing can possibly cause more problems than benefits. For example this post. I've been writing this for way too long and keep re-reading and re-reading and re-reading it while making changes every time. Focus is great but being efficiently productive is not always the result. Right now I feel like I butchered this post. I don't feel confident in this conveying everything I need/want to and is making me anxious. I believe one of the reasons for the hyper-focus is the anxiety on doing the best that I can do. Anyways, it'd be much appreciated to please post any questions, tips, comments, or any kind of discussion below.
Thank you.

Extra information: My sleep schedule is fine and I get at least 8 hours a night. My diet is alkaline focused. I only drink water and consume very few acidic foods, with the acceptations being fruits, nuts, bread, and cheese. I will be visiting my doctor in a few weeks and I will use this post to help guide my visit, but for now I want to see what r/ADHD has to say.

meds:1x20mg Adderall XR, 1x300mg Wellbutrin XR

21, Male, 6ft, 155lbs.

my thoughts: from the research that I've done, part of the problem could be the dramatic increase in exercise. Since exercise can increase your metabolism, which mine is already extremely fast, this may yield lower effectiveness is my best guess. I make sure my body has plenty of fuel, take daily vitamins, and I pack my own lunch instead of eating out during break.
Old 10-17-17, 04:44 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Could my new job be affecting the effectiveness of my meds? Problems with new job

20mg of xr once a day isnt enough IMO. XR is meant to last between 6-8 hours. Mine lasts 5.I take my xr 3 times a day. I think you need an additonal dose or booster dose.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Nightman96 (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 03:08 PM

Nightman96 is on a distinguished road
Re: Could my new job be affecting the effectiveness of my meds? Problems with new job

Thank you for the reply. I just got off work and the only symptom I noticed was foggy thinking, it was extremely hard to concentrate while I was doing work with a co-worker for a few hours. I made conversation the best I could and it went great in my opinion but towards the end I just couldn't get the words out that I wanted. I'll probably take the dose a few hours into work so I can have it work when I need cognitive, straight thinking.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-17, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you might need an additional dose taken later (early afternoon perhaps) to help you through the rest of your day.

My nurse practitioner is shocked that Adderall XR 20mg seems to be helpful to me. She says for most people it only last a few hours ... She said there is a new supposedly REALLY extended version of Adderall that is coming out soon.

Tone