ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-18, 04:16 PM

mathwithadhd is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Tips on handling some time w/o medication?

Hello,

I am writing this post for some advice. My doctors, family, friends either cannot help or don't understand enough about this to offer advice.

Some background. I have been suffering with ADHD my entire life, but a diagnosis wasn't made until this year (age 20), probably because I was an academically high-achieving student in my childhood, and because in my adolescence and early adulthood, I mitigated the symptoms with constant 420 use.

Earlier this year I made the life change to get off and stay off drugs, and when my childhood symptoms came back in full force I did a thorough reckoning of my mental health history, and visited a psychiatrist for diagnosis and medication. They confirmed what I had begun to suspect was ADHD misdiagnosed as depression for years, and duly put me on a medication plan which has worked wonders for months.

I have responded really well to medication, and with the help of an additional counselor, have been able to keep drugs out of my life for some time. I'm writing this today because my doctor's office fumbled the ball and have left me high and dry without meds for what will be several days. This is day one, and I feel awful. Attention span is hard enough, but I often go through rapid mood swings multiple times a day and seriously struggle to get a grip on my mind.

I am a mathematician, and wouldn't trade my brain for anything in this world. But jesus, it can be tough to live with when the problems aren't getting addressed properly, and I am really worried that I'm one lapse in judgment away from throwing out weeks of sobriety. Can any of you guys offer some advice on how to cope with this for the next few days? I feel like I'm looking at an eternity of struggle between now and Tuesday.

Best,
mathwithadhd
Old 09-15-18, 05:52 PM

Thanked 33,848 Times in 15,310 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tips on handling some time w/o medication?

Hi and welcome.

How did you get sober? Did you have a sponsor or go to meetings? If so, now would be the time to access those resources.

I haven't been in your situation but others here are sober after struggling and you might look at the addiction forum for more tips.

Warmest wishes to you,
-peri
Old 09-16-18, 04:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tips on handling some time w/o medication?

If you used a 12 step program to get sober you need to talk to your sponsor and use your network.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links