ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-17, 12:43 PM

Mjn097 has disabled reputation
Newbie from StL

Good morning everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with inattentive ADHD. I've had struggles with certain things my entire life such as school, getting things done, losing things,procrastinating, social skills, etc.

I've always had this problem to where if i couldn't apply myself i would either just rush and do a shotty job or just avoid it all together as my anxiety would take over. I was always labeled as lazy because i would do awesome at certain things and terrible at others. My Self-esteem is is at a 0 due to the fear of being labeled as "Something" not normal. I still get severe anxiety when having to go to any type of social events with people i don't really know.

But I've always had my ways of coping with it. It would always resort to video games or motorcycles-dirt bikes, to me there is nothing better than an adrenaline rush to rid my anxiety if that makes any sense. So that's how i've always dealt with it. But this past july was by far the worst turn in my life.

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with a Inoperable brain tumor. (Tectal Glioma) I literally lost control of my life.He has had two failed endoscopic third ventriculostmy's and is now shunt dependent. For the rest of his life he will have to have mri's to monitor it.

I finally decided something wasn't right with myself and decided to get help. My doctor gave me clonazepam and several different ssri's over the last few months. Which for the most part does absolutely nothing. The ssri's make me sick and the clonazepam just hardly take the edge off. He suggested i see a counselor for further diagnosis and here i am today. Seeing that i am not the only one with struggles has brought some light back in my life. This coming up week i will be going back to the doc to discuss treatment.

I guess i am done for now as i have stared at the screen for 10 minutes with nothing else to say lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjn097 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-21-17)
Old 10-21-17, 04:06 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,458 Times in 9,115 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie from StL

Welcome to ADDF!

Wow, sound like there's a lot going on between your son's health and yours.

I hope that seeing your doc next week (or maybe a counselor/therapist/psychologist) will help give you some peace and concrete steps to move forward.

We're here for you when you need to vent / cry / think things through by typing them out, etc.

Old 10-21-17, 04:13 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,088 Times in 11,707 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie from StL

Welcome to the forum and as namazu said we're all here to support you
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
Sponsored Links