ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-22-17, 12:30 PM

jjleung96 is on a distinguished road
Dexedrine, school, sleep issues, help!

Oh man. I've been on dexedrine ir for almost a month now and am currently at 15 mg x3/day. I have undiagnosed daytime sleepiness and this works so well for keeping me awake during the day and not worsening anxiety like Ritalin did. Only problem is that because I'm a student studying sciences in college, I have to study til around midnight and without the meds, I basically knock out, regardless of how much sleep I get (coffee doesn't work for me). I have to take a dose somewhere between 5-8pm to be productive but I also can't sleep til around 3 AM earliest because of that. I'm starting to feel like a zombie now on around 4/4.5 hours of sleep- I'm physically awake but I have a dull headache and feel tired. Is there anytime I can do so I can still study til midnight and be able to get SOME sleep? Thanks!

I have ADHD-PI.
Old 10-22-17, 02:48 PM

Thanked 33,489 Times in 15,133 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dexedrine, school, sleep issues, help!

what time do you need to wake? the only thing i can suggest is to take it earlier in the day.

remember how important sleep is. better to study less time and study productively and you can only do that if you get sleep.

what has your doctor said?
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-22-17)
Old 10-22-17, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
what time do you need to wake? the only thing i can suggest is to take it earlier in the day.

remember how important sleep is. better to study less time and study productively and you can only do that if you get sleep.

what has your doctor said?
My school day doesn't start until earliest 1 PM everyday but to try to be up early in the morning to study, so somewhere around 7-8ish. I told my psych about this and he said that there's nothing that can be done if I have to study until late, which is somewhat discouraging.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-17, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,449 Times in 3,077 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Peri is right. Quality of study over quantity of study!

You're far better off getting a few quality study hours into your day with breaks in-between, as opposed to pushing yourself to study as long as possible.

With the sheer lack of sleep you're getting, most of the information you're trying to cram into your brain won't stick, no matter how long you study for.

Don't take Dexedrine beyond 1-2pm. Get good solid 7-8 hours of sleep at night and your brain will thank you for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (10-22-17)
Old 10-23-17, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Peri is right. Quality of study over quantity of study!

You're far better off getting a few quality study hours into your day with breaks in-between, as opposed to pushing yourself to study as long as possible.

With the sheer lack of sleep you're getting, most of the information you're trying to cram into your brain won't stick, no matter how long you study for.

Don't take Dexedrine beyond 1-2pm. Get good solid 7-8 hours of sleep at night and your brain will thank you for it.
That's true. I'll definitely try to readjust my schedule to got to sleep on time. Thanks!
Old 01-12-18, 09:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdseeker will become famous soon enough

You could also try waking up earlier to take the Dex and then going back to sleep until you needed to get up. Maybe since you were just asleep you could fall back asleep again even though you took the med? You could time it so that it would run out right when you needed to go to bed. I do that sometimes -- if I know I'll have to take a med at a certain time (during a meeting) and I don't want it to be obvious I'll wake up and take my med earlier and then go back to sleep so the timing works out.
Old 01-14-18, 07:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,456 Times in 14,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

what is your dosing schedule supposed to be?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-14-18, 12:58 PM

stomachauditor is on a distinguished road

The trend of popularity is really interesting, I read and understood that the majority of names will always be popular. A similar review was published in 2012 and much remained the same, For example, among my relatives in Poland is get coffee and different kind of pills for productivity. Most likely, these term for education is wrong in conclusion, even if you are really think otherwise.