ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-23-17, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the rough
What are my rights, when it comes to exams?

I need some help/advice from others, especially if you are living in the UK, and if you know about education/ADHD rights.

So I failed a professional examination (for Architecture) in the UK.

I sat the exam at the official Architecture Board, not a university. I told the examiners before that I have ADHD and provided my diagnosis letter. They only give extra time to dyslexia, they said they would give me extra time if I provided them with a letter from a doctor, saying that I needed this.

I looked around and found that most doctors will need a whole new diagnosis, which means £350+, and the GP told me that the diagnosis letter should be enough for the examiners.

Anyway, so I thought I would just try my best, and that maybe it's not a big deal and that if I couldn't manage, maybe I wasn't competent enough anyway. My family also think I am 'smart' so they never believe my ADHD diagnosis or support my with these things.

Now I failed, just the written exam/interview (I passed the other 4 modules). I am feeling a bit depressed and stuck.

I feel that the examiners are not being very supportive.
I feel like I can't do it all again, it was a nightmare.
I feel like they could make it easier for me and give it in smaller parts. (the exam is 9 hours over 2 days).
I feel like they are being a bit discriminative towards me (eg. they thought that I did not write the other work I submitted, because it was so much better that the exam/interview)

I just feel like I wouldn't be here if I didn't have ADHD, and what annoys me is that their website is ALLLL about inclusivity, accessibility to the profession, people with disabilities are all welcome. But they do NOTHING to help.

Am I just being sensitive? Should I just accept and try harder? I guess it just hurts a lot to fail. But I still feel like this exam is not as hard for others..

I know it's long, and not spaced out enough. (I tried to put emojis to help ) I don't expect many of you to read it. But please give me your honest opinions, even if it's not what I want to hear.

Hugs to all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeweller For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (10-23-17)
Old 10-23-17, 03:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,555 Times in 856 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are my rights, when it comes to exams?

((Jewller)) I am sorry that this happened to you.

I am from the US so I am not familiar with UK accommodations so I won't be of much help so I'm wondering about part of it:

Would there be more disabilities recognized if it was taken at a university? If that is the case, is there a reason why they are not recognized where you took the exam?
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Jeweller (10-23-17)
Old 10-23-17, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the rough

Hi [finallyfound10], thanks for your help.

Yes, I could have done the same course at a university, they would have given me support.

I am thinking to switch to another course, I am just worried about the money I will lose.

Is it only universities who must make accommodations for students? I thought it was a legal requirement.

But anyway. Thanks for your help : )
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-17, 09:22 PM

MickeMouseFan will become famous soon enough

Jeweller, I am curious.

How much blame do you apportion to your college/university for not meeting your ADHD requirements, and how much to your own limitations due to ADHD?

Could it be that this architecture exam is too difficult for someone with ADHD? If your college/university met all your ADHD requirements, can you say with certainty that you would pass? Could your study and preparation for the exam be not as effective due to you ADHD?

In my case I have to start preparing for end of semester exams at least 3 weeks before the exam. Normal people start preparing for the exams during the one week study-break before the exams. My ADD made my studies largely ineffective, and that is why I need to prepare much earlier than other normal students.