ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 10-30-17, 09:43 AM

Thanked 34,026 Times in 15,406 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
parenting/news headlines triggering intrusive thoughts

this is more of a vent than a question, but i do wonder if i'm alone in being so sensitive to these things.

specifically, headlines that have to do with children. i don't want this post to turn political and most of the ones i see are from parenting websites. like scary mommy, where just today there was one about losing a child. but i was listening to NPR the other day and they spoke about the millions of children in yemen who are malnourished.

hearing, seeing titles (i don't read the articles EVER)...triggers my intrusive thoughts. and it's brutal.

i'm on a lot of medication for this and it largely works. it enables me to use my CBT and other therapy to avoid going too far down that path.

but then i think, how ****ty that i'm this overly sensitive person who can't deal with the realities of the world.

the fact of the matter is, though, i can't. i can't do it. i feel like an ostrich sticking my head in the sand and that offends my sense of social justice and responsibility. but if i don't, i'll just be gutted for a day or more and too low functioning to care for my small girl, who, of course, has priority.

i've done exposure and response therapy and i've done ...i've done a lot of therapy for this particular issue. and, as i said, i take...of the five meds i take, three are for my OCD. well...kinda 2.5 because the ativan could be said to be for both that and my primary diagnosis.

before i had a small girl this particular thing didn't get to me so much. animals in pain...oh my ****, i will defriend anyone on facebook who puts up a video (which is supposed to be showing people the harm we do to animals...but i already know and i canNOT have those images in my mind...they'll do me in).

so i avoid. it's this very careful balance of not avoiding certain things (like, i've also had agoraphobia and not left my house for weeks...even months...during daylight hours) but having to shut out others.

i hate mental illness. and on the one hand i wish i weren't so susceptible, but on the other, i don't want to become desensitized to seeing suffering. i just wish seeing it...or even the mention of it in certain contexts, didn't level me.

since i've had a small girl...anything to do with babies/children being abused, neglected, suffering, dying...i can barely type that and keep my **** together. i imagine a lot of non OCD mums have some degree of reaction to such things after having children, but it's shutting my world down in ways...isolating me.

that's the worst thing long term about OCD for me. it's so isolating.

anyway...vent over. or share over. whatever this is. i'm hitting submit.

much love to all,
-peri xx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-30-17), namazu (10-30-17), stef (10-31-17), WhiteOwl (10-31-17)
Old 10-30-17, 09:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,401 Times in 11,478 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: parenting/news headlines triggering intrusive thoughts

I isolate any thing I find to be detrimental to my happiness or distasteful. Period. I do not want to know. You are not alone.

I believe it is a good thing to protect yourself and your child from those things.

If I were to come upon something like the aforementioned in person, woe to whom committed such an atrocity. I have no off switch for that.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (10-31-17)
Old 10-30-17, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,021 Times in 13,124 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Péri, OCD and other isues aside,
I think that once you've had a child, reactions to such things are particularly amplified (and I am certainly not implying that anyone without children, is heartless or indifferent)

I don't read these news items myself. I love British literature and even crossing some passage in Dickens, can be strangely upsetting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-31-17), WhiteOwl (10-31-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-17, 12:50 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Humans aren't rational people, we never will be, and don't be unnecessarily harsh on yourself for having mental health issues. As you've said, there are a lot of horrible things going on in the world, but remember that you're not responsible for any of it, and you're a good person!

All you need to focus on is raising your kid to be happy and healthy!
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (10-31-17)
Old 10-31-17, 01:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I don't have this problem to your severity, but things get to me, too, and I avoid a lot. We recently had the flooding from Hurricane Harvey here in TX and I heard a story involving children that was so horrific, I cried for days. Some things are just too much for me, too.

It doesn't help that the media seems to be getting more graphic. Some things just don't need to be said or shown, imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-31-17)