ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-31-17, 05:07 PM

Fairy22 is on a distinguished road
Hi I need advise

So I have suspected for a very long time that I have adhd and that I have had since childhood.

Grade 1 was a disaster. I would day dream , ,find any excuse to get out of my chair, not complete tasks and talked a lot. I was tested for everything diabetes epilepsy all sorts I saw a psychologist and was tested for hyperactivity( not adhd it was 86) he said no I'm just gifted .

so I failed grade 1 on points but was promoted to grade 2 as i passed all my test . just the rest was a problem . Then the state school psychologist was called who also said I was not hyperactive but gifted. school overall was ok but I was always a middle of the run student I never studied and always left everything to last minute.

I have a decent job and got a tertiary education . I am very talkative and often get told by coleuges I have ADHD. which could be dismissed except I am an RN(trauma and icu) so my coleuges are medical staff. I will get to why i think i have adhd later .

i have been with my wife for 12 years. everything has been great but now our marraige is in crisis. she has regularly complained that I don't listen to her and I talk over her or take over the conversation. I know I do and try to apologise. o figured she understood. now we are close to divorce and have started counselling and she sites the above issues as major issues.

so as for why I think I have adhd I will list below:
I talk excessively and interupt often . I can't help it it just happens.
I finished people's sentences or answer before they finish the question
I can't read a whole book and if I do try I have to keep going back thinking what did I read again .
I forget names just after I have been told the name.
I often walk into a room and go . what was I doing here again I am constantly looking for my keys and my wife always has to call my phone often so I can find it.
I phase our whilst people are talking to me then think oh my gosh. what where they saying again.
I also lose my train of thought mid sentence.
I procrastinate or get bored /distracted and don't finish projects.
I get upset easily
I have tried to control my talking issue but it's like my brain and mouth just disconnect and I say stuff any way and then think oh why
I battle to fall asleep as its like my brain doesn't switch off and then I wake up late so am often late for work or rushing

I think that is about it.
soon I will have a 1 on 1 with the psychologist to do a personality test before we continue couples counseling.
so my questions are

given the info I have posted is there a likelihood i have adhd or am I just looking for a way to blame my bad habits on something

and should I tell the psychologist I think I have adhd or would that influence a diagnosis . I don't want to be diagnosed with something if I don't have it

If I said nothing would it be picked up during my personality test
Old 10-31-17, 05:42 PM

Fairy22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hi I need advise

I forgot to add I still daydream . all the time. I can switch off and just go into this whole elaborate day dream.
I function very well in high demand situations like resuses and become super focused.
I cannot be in one place for to long and hate sitting alone doing nothing unless I am daydreaming then it's fine
Old 11-01-17, 01:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,284 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi I need advise

I would be really upset if my coworkers told me they thought I had a mental health condition. I mean, mind your own business! You need to see a psychiatrist on your own to explore your options. I mean someone independent of your wife.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links