ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 11-06-17, 09:40 PM

Somethinghere is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Complicated, need seriously informed help.

hi, please don't respond unless you have something helpful to say, as i'm really trying to figure this out.

I've been diagnosed several times by different doctors as having ADHD over the course of my life, starting when I was in elementry school(30year old now). My mind races, there's a fog, I can't pay attention, etc. etc. I used to take adderall and took it for probably 8 years and it always gave me energy, helped me complete tasks, etc. 20mg XR would do me just fine, all the way up to 60mg. I stopped taking it about 4 years ago.

Currently i'm taking:
  • wellbutrin (bupropion) XR 300mg
  • prozac (fluoxetine) 60mg
  • very small amounts of methadone, around 1.25mg a day.
  • Gabapentin IR and Gabapentin XR (Horizant) as needed, usually 600mg ir and 600mg xr a day, some days I don't take it at all. (restless Leg)
  • 5,000 IU Vitamin D, I have a vitamin d deficiency.

These are the drugs my psych has tried me on recently:
  • Adderall XR up to 80mg
  • Dextroamphetamine ER up to 400mg
  • straterra 40mg
  • Modafinil 400mg (provigil)

None of those drugs did much of anything for me. Bizarre, I know. Stimulants used to work, now they don't. I've read that antidepressants can have an effect on stimulants and vice versa, but really? I also know gabapentin can have an affect on stimulant use, but I really don't take the gabapentin that often. If only taking the gabapentin a couple times a week could it really affect the stimulants like this?

She's going to try me on Ritilin or Desoxyn next if the dextroamphetamine ER isn't helping. I took it today for the first time, took a total of 30mg.

I can fall asleep on any of these. The adderall barely helped, but gave me a bit of anxiety and it took way too much adderall for it to do anything helpful.

I've been to the dr. regularly for the last few years, trying different antidepressants(effexor sucked, then he put me on wellbutrin and fluoxetine). We thought it was depression at the time but eventually after I went to a psych dr. she showed me how it was actually my adhd causing the depression because I couldn't focus on anything so I laid in bed all day.

I tried straterra but all it did after 5 or 6 weeks was cause me to be very tired and cause an extreme brain fog. I haven't come across anyone who took straterra that long and still had the brain fog induced by the straterra.

Can anyone informed enough on all of this comment to help me figure this out?

do you think other stimulants like ritilan and desoxn would help when adderall and dextroamphetamine don't? and yes I know adderall contains 75% dex. I thought the problem might have been the generic adderall I was given but now i'm not sure.

I get a good amount of sleep, I drink a cup of coffee a day. If I keep the caffeine minimal it helps slightly, too much puts me to sleep. I'm very hydrated, I work 40 hrs a week, I'm a 30 year old male.
The Following User Says Thank You to Somethinghere For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-06-17)
Old 11-06-17, 10:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,621 Times in 5,597 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Complicated, need seriously informed help.

I hope the 400mg of Dexedrine was a typo.

I take dextroamphetamine sulfate and bupropion. I don't think bupropion affects dex for me, but it might for others.

I can't say anything about the fluoxetine, because SSRIs/SNRIs and I don't do well together.

And as I've never taken opiates and/or methadone, I can't comment on that.

I know someone who had problems with concomitant use of gabapentin and Adderall, such that the efficacy of the Adderall was greatly reduced. They chose to drop the gabapentin, and after a couple of weeks, Adderall was working well for them. Anecdotal, for what it is worth.

I would expect a lack of efficacy with Desoxyn, but you might have some success with the methylphenidate class.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 11-06-17, 10:40 PM

Somethinghere is on a distinguished road

Oops yes the 400 of Dex was supposed to be 40.
I forgot to mention I smoke a bowl of marijuana (I live in Washington, it's legal)to nightlyp with sleep and other things. I know marijuana can keep you from entering REM sleep, could that also contribute?

I suspected gabapentin, I'm going to stop it and see how that affects me. I'll update if anything changes thank you.

Anyone else have a different theory or can contribute knowledge on the matter?
The Following User Says Thank You to Somethinghere For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-17, 05:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,288 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would say its the weed thats interfering with your meds.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.