ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-01-17, 04:35 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,920 Times in 12,935 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Discussing Mental health issues at work

Is it ever a good idea to tell your employer you have any form of mental health issue? Even if it's depression/anxiety/obsessiveness?
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-19-17)
Old 11-01-17, 06:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,087 Times in 11,257 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Discussing Mental health issues at work

If you are regularly seeing a physician and prescribed medications for the diagnosed condition(s) and believe you could be accommodated someway, maybe so, I guess.

Your doctor would most likely be the person to discuss this with for the best outcome.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-01-17), midnightstar (11-02-17), peripatetic (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 03:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,192 Times in 14,311 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I say never talk about it with your employer matter what. It just opens the door for discrimination and I believe it slaps a target on your back.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-02-17), Mama2Three (06-03-18), midnightstar (11-02-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-04-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-17, 08:57 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,789 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Once upon a time, I worked at a residential vocational rehab center. I mistakenly thought of all places to be supportive, that one certainly would be. After all, it's what we did for a living day in and day out...show compassion, help support, and help teach ways to deal with every disability you could imagine.

However, all it did was set me up to show my "weaknesses" to those who enjoy being predatory and to those trying to work their way "up" the corporate ladder by any means necessary.

Additionally, I wasn't one to sit back and just let things happen and would speak up when I saw things going on that negatively impacted the lives of others, no matter who was doing it.

Once I spoke up about multiple unethical happenings going on, and even had physical proof to back it up, I was never taken seriously after having shared my diagnoses with HR and my supervisor to try to help explain my struggling with attendance/performance during a specific time.

My life was made a living hell and the admins seemed particularly determined to make sure I didn't have much, if any, of a voice in anything from there on out. I ended up resigning to preserve what was left of my health and sanity. It was like they had used my diagnoses against me to lessen my credibility in every way possible, whereas before, my "symptoms" were my superpower, it seemed. Weird as hell, yet very real.

I vote for NOT doing it based solely on my experience. Rather, just tell them your brain is wired to do things a certain way and you simply have to do things in the way that jives with your wiring. Remind them you're human and humans have "off" days.

If there's an accommodation you need...be sure you can't meet that need yourself in some way before asking one of them and sharing the reasons why you need it. I found no sympathy, and even less empathy, in sharing with a group of so-called professionals who chose helping others as a career. That was pretty eye opening and heart wrenching..

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-20-17), Little Missy (11-02-17), midnightstar (11-02-17), sarahsweets (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 08:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

excelsior is just really niceexcelsior is just really niceexcelsior is just really niceexcelsior is just really nice

When calling this play, take into account:

.Your boss
.your company's official policy
. what information you're willing to part with.

Is your boss a tolerant, understanding person? What is your company's OFFICIAL POLICY when it comes to accommodating worker's needs ? You might be surprised, ask for some literature.

Tell your employer RELEVANT information, go deeper if you've got a rapport.

In my case, the contracted company I work for is part of a mental health agency...
The Following User Says Thank You to excelsior For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-04-17)
Old 11-02-17, 08:51 PM

Thanked 29,492 Times in 13,592 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's possible that sometimes it helps but unless there is no other way I wouldn't take the risk...unless the risk of not telling them is worse.

Why do you want to tell them?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-04-17)
Old 11-03-17, 02:36 AM

midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

They pulled me into the office earlier this week and said i dont tell them anything and they want to help, they want their cheerful hard worker back they said

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-03-17), Fuzzy12 (11-03-17)
Old 11-03-17, 08:37 PM

Thanked 1,523 Times in 835 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you "have to tell them" anything at all. There are millions of suddenly non-cheerful hard worker NTs out there so what what happen in that situation? Don't tell them anything about your mental health diagnoses!

Now that you know that they are concerned and your work is being affected, you can better figure things out to become the cheerful hard worker again.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-04-17)
Old 11-03-17, 08:44 PM

Thanked 29,492 Times in 13,592 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
They pulled me into the office earlier this week and said i dont tell them anything and they want to help, they want their cheerful hard worker back they said
You don't have to tell them. You don't owe them an explanation. If they ask again just tell them than you for the concern but you are fine. Or you can say I'm a bit tired. Orf I've got a lot on my plate now.

If they probe its also perfectly acceptable to.say '"it's not something I would like to discuss right now".

Unless of course there is anything theycould do to make your life easier??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-03-17), midnightstar (11-04-17)
Old 11-04-17, 01:49 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I say never talk about it with your employer matter what. It just opens the door for discrimination and I believe it slaps a target on your back.
I agree. I can't imagine any reason to tell an employer or anyone else at work about any health conditions unless it absolutely can't be avoided. Even well meaning employers or work colleagues might subconsciously have doubts about someone's ability to do the job if they're aware that they have some health issues. Also, once one person in a work environment knows, even if they promise to keep it confidential, it probably won't be long before word gets out and everyone else knows. Most people aren't very good at keeping secrets.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-04-17)
Old 11-04-17, 02:42 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,192 Times in 14,311 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I agree. I can't imagine any reason to tell an employer or anyone else at work about any health conditions unless it absolutely can't be avoided. Even well meaning employers or work colleagues might subconsciously have doubts about someone's ability to do the job if they're aware that they have some health issues. Also, once one person in a work environment knows, even if they promise to keep it confidential, it probably won't be long before word gets out and everyone else knows. Most people aren't very good at keeping secrets.
Another thing is, you dont want your successes to be downplayed either. I can imagine " wow, for for someone with adhd she managed that well!"
" too bad she has adhd or else she would be able to do xyz better"

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-04-17)
Old 11-04-17, 02:51 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Another thing is, you dont want your successes to be downplayed either. I can imagine " wow, for for someone with adhd she managed that well!"
" too bad she has adhd or else she would be able to do xyz better"
Or if she's having an especially bad day (which everyone does sometimes), they'll probably think, "She must have forgotten to take her meds today." LOL...Even my partner does that to me sometimes.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-04-17)
Old 11-19-17, 10:03 PM

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

I never trust anyone fully at my workplace, no matter where it is. However, I do let them know themselves if ever someday I get caught up opening this very forum in my workplace (yes, as I am typing this I am at work now).
Old 11-19-17, 10:21 PM

Thanked 33,374 Times in 15,076 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
do you know if you're protected against discrimination (at least legally supposed to be) if you do divulge?

keep this in mind: they may be really well meaning, but if your mental illness is chronic, their patience may well run out with you not being "their cheerful hard worker" and then what? you know?

i have told my employer. mostly because i had to disclose to protect the position i once held. i had exhausted personal days and time and needed to go into hospital and ended up disclosing to the university where i worked. i tried to give minimal detail.

people were legally unable to use it against me. BUT, i was denied tenure. though...completely honestly i admit that i didn't AT ALL deserve it. i had taken more like two years on sabbatical and produced nothing AND i'd never carried a full load when teaching.

anyway, later my colleagues found out some specifics. i don't recall exactly how. probably for the best i don't. but they found out i have a psychotic disorder and this is a liberal institution...and i was 100% treated differently afterward. some seemed to applaud my ability to wipe my own butt, others were totally wary of me and it was obvious. i have very little contact with any of my former colleagues after being deemed permanently and completely disabled, but there was a time where everyone "knew" and it made for a LOT of awkwardness. i dreaded going to campus or doing anything lest it be judged through that light. i ceased being person and became symptoms. my credibility was SHOT. that's another thing to consider.

i would, you know, if you tell them you have depression...i think you'll get a lot of stupid stuff said to you. but if you tell them you have "obsessiveness"... be prepared for them to say even stupider stuff.

i don't know if all this helps, it's just my experience, but you might also seriously consider how much you need this job. i don't have to work financially. it was just a serious blow to the ego. i mean...a HUGE demoralising one, but, i wasn't put out of house and home for it, you know?

anyway, this might be a bit late on to reply, in which case, what'd you decide/do?
Old 11-20-17, 09:59 AM

I decided against mentioning it at work. I know from other people there that the moment theres any new things known about anyone it spreads like a fire through the building. Thanks for all responses