ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-17, 10:19 PM

ADHDrewski is on a distinguished road
Help! Self-Sabotage? Impulse/Hyperfocus on Vyvanse

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new here and earlier this year (May) I've taken the route to receive help with my mental health. Without a doubt, my psych. saw I had adhd and prescribed me Vyvanse at 40mg and right now 50mg with a 60mg option.

Within the first few months, I've received the perks of Vyvanse: Blissfulness, Self-Confidence, Social Butterfly,Motivation, focus, reduced impulsive, shifting focus to pending issues and boring tasks at work and at home...

Now after consistently taking it for a few months, I found myself with these issues/symptoms more apparent than ever. I found that the "high" is gone, which I don't mind but bigger issues with stronger impulses and hyperfocusing. My impulses has crept up on me and seems to have overwritten my Vyvanse meds. The ADHD symptoms are more apparent than ever while on Vyvanse and the hyperfocusing on my phone (not my work) is leading to a large self-implosion of my work/home/sanity.

Within the last few months things have gone oddly opposite. Especially with my impulsive and inability to focus on my work. The issue of completion a simple tasks is now relevant on or off Vyvanse. I am having the impulses to self sabotage (fortunately not physically hurt myself), in terms of knowingly avoiding tasks, extreme procrastination, knowingly and impulsively electing to unproductive things like playing games, scrolling through social media, etc.
Hyper-focusing is more apparent (dangerously focused) on my iphone during inappropriate times, if not all times.
My week is never consistent and my impulses is directly contributed to that.
I have some days I impulsively delayed taking my vyvanse into the afternoon or as long as possible. I am still having trouble following a schedule, be on time, completing a simple task within a reasonable time.
After a few months, I still cannot adapt nor incorporate productive/positive behaviors/skills. While on Vyvanse now, I can't focus on tasks, (sometimes electing to procrastinate after the knowing the consequences). My motivation for my work isn't enough to do the work even though, I've weighed the good/bad, benefits, consequences, perks, and potential. I found I still cannot be effective/efficient/productive as my peers. Even though I am in business and I interact with people all day I find I am more self-conscious and feel more anxious with others is more apparent than ever. Hyperfocusing on my iphone, games, social media has taken most of my day (I am thinking it is now a addiction). All while on Vyvanse.

You can probably tell just by reading this my ADHD syptoms is in full effect. Anyone else out there feeling/doing the same? How can I move past this? How can I refine myself and improve? How can I stay on task? or develop a consistent pattern of completing tasks or routine.
Old 11-04-17, 06:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,161 Times in 14,294 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help! Self-Sabotage? Impulse/Hyperfocus on Vyvanse

what is your dose and frequency of the vyvanse?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-04-17, 01:01 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Help! Self-Sabotage? Impulse/Hyperfocus on Vyvanse

I've been on Vyvanse for a little over 12 weeks now, and although I've benefited in many ways, my tendency to get sucked into "hyperfocusing" on something, usually something on the Internet, and spend several hours on it without realizing how long it's been is just as strong as ever (maybe even stronger than before). As a result, I'm still not getting a lot of other things done that I have on my to-do list for the day.

I started a new medication recently and set an alarm on both my phone and my desktop computer to remind me to take it on time. Nevertheless, last week, I was so hyperfocused on something I was doing on the Internet that without even really thinking about it, I turned off the alarm on my phone when it went off and dismissed the alarm on my computer and still didn't end up taking my medication on time. I didn't even realize that I had missed taking it until I was getting ready to go to bed that evening. Thinking back, I vaguely remembered one of the alarms going off, but apparently it wasn't enough to break my focus.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Last edited by PoppnNSailinMan; 11-04-17 at 01:26 PM..
Sponsored Links