ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 11-05-17, 01:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Constantly bored by my girlfriend

My girlfriend and I have been on and off for over four years now. She briefly saw someone else but we've been fairly close now for the past three months. We went to Fes together and there have even been discussions of marriage and children if I ever manage to sort my life out - I've been unemployed since March and don't have a degree.

Even though there's definitely a strong connection between the two of us, I do find that I become bored by her musings with alarming regularity. I often find that I offend her by admitting that some of the time I am 'tuning out' because she is boring me.

Is this a common problem for folks with ADHD? Or is it a clear sign that it's not going to work out between the two of us?

Whilst ritalin does help to a certain extent, I still have a remarkably low boredom threshold. It's difficult to comprehend how I can ever be with anyone for any amount of time because I am so comfortable inside of my own head.
Old 11-06-17, 06:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,580 Times in 15,085 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Constantly bored by my girlfriend

If you are bored by your girlfriend its up to you to change it or move on. There is nothing that she can do to make you less bored. You do not want to rely on medication to keep you from being bored with her cause there may come a time where you switch meds or go off them. I dont understand how you can be considering the long term with her like marriage and kids if you feel bored by her. Does she know you feel this way sometimes? When I have had issues with a significant other its usually been my issue not theirs but to be fair, I got married when I was 20 so I have been well out of the dating scene.
You will have to decide that if nothing changes at all can you live with this situation and be happy? Its better to assume no changes will happen and be happy with that so that when a change does happen its a pleasant surprise than assume that you will be happy once she does change, because she may never change. Sometimes the feeling is mutual but she could be afraid to tell you as well.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-06-17)
Old 11-06-17, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

My sweetie is the most non-boring entity in the world for me.

I can’t imagine a partner being boring except as some example of what hell would be like.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-29-17), kwalk (11-14-17), Little Missy (11-06-17), WhiteOwl (11-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-17, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

I think it may be a fundamental problem with me then as my proclivity to become bored seems to apply in any interaction with another human being. I don't believe it can be ascribed to depression as I've been feeling much better in myself for quite sometime now. I guess it could well be ADHD and/or autism related.
Old 11-06-17, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I live in my own head, as well, and tune out a lot. I can have back and forth meaningful/enjoyable conversations, but if it's more one-sided and the person is just talking on and on, especially if they talk slowly and take forever to get to the point, I'm gone. My mom has learned to pause and ask me if I'm still listening (I'm usually not, but I have gotten good at pretending I was).

I have extra trouble paying attention if I'm doing something. I can't do something and listen at the same time. I also can't pay attention if I just did something mentally draining. I might still be processing things in my head, and if someone tries to talk to me mid-processing, they'll likely get no response from me because I'm just gone and don't even hear them.

I just assumed all this was ADD related and not the other person's fault, since inattentiveness is a big symptom of ADD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-06-17), Little Missy (11-07-17), OyVeyKitty (11-06-17), someothertime (11-07-17)
Old 11-07-17, 02:09 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,992 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

There is bored..... Then there are 100 other things that FEEL like bored....

I know that most people I interact with... There comes a point where the dynamic reaches equilibrium / constancy.

Just remember.... Half this constancy is you ( me ) etc.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-09-17)
Old 11-08-17, 10:47 PM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Yes, very low boredom threshold is common for adhders. I live in my own head too. I was told to turn the conversation to what I enjoy talking about to the extent possible without totally taking over the conversation. Like talking about things we are mutually interested in.

Can't always do this though. Do you just get bored with conversations or do you find her as a person boring. Cause if you're not interested in her as a person anymore, that's a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-09-17)
Old 11-09-17, 03:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

It's certainly the former. ^^

Medication was working to a certain extent but I suspect I will always struggle with boredom because I simply have an appalling attention span and seldom find I am passionate about anything.
Old 11-09-17, 08:22 AM

Thanked 30,353 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle to listen to people speak especially if they go on and on or add to many details to a story or talk about something that isn't of utmost interest to me. It doesn't mean I find the person boring (unless they are extremely chatty and regularly or only talk at length about things that are of no interest to me).
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (11-14-17)
Old 11-29-17, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

She claims to be "dead inside" and never wants to have sex. At all.

I've been assured it's not depression or a loss of attraction for me, though. :S
Old 11-29-17, 05:35 PM

Thanked 21,510 Times in 11,540 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post

I've been assured it's not depression or a loss of attraction for me, though. :S
that's cool, maybe the next chick won't be so boring

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 11-29-17, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
that's cool, maybe the next chick won't be so boring
Do you think I am being shallow?

I've been patient with her but I do feel inclined to believe that she is no longer physically attracted to me.
Old 11-29-17, 05:42 PM

Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well you just tell her that the lack of sex in the relationship is making you "dead inside" and you wish to feel more alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 05:52 PM

Thanked 21,510 Times in 11,540 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you think I am being shallow?

I've been patient with her but I do feel inclined to believe that she is no longer physically attracted to me.
not at all, she's the one who said she never wants to have sex.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-30-17), Fraser_0762 (11-29-17)
Old 12-20-17, 05:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

I broke up with her last night.

She said our relationship had become difficult after being subjected to my "toxic" 13 year old niece, who lives at home with me and my mother.

I don't know how I feel though as I think I may be too inattentive for relationships. I 'tune out' all the time even on stimulants, and my boredom threshold is woefully low.