ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-17, 01:18 AM

ADD_Serpent is on a distinguished road
Is this ADD or laziness? Just cant distingush!

I am 47 years old (92 kg) self employed male, believed to be suffering from ADHD from my 18 on-wards. I am on Starattera 80mg and occasionally use 'Indian' Concerta.(AddWize 18mg)
I was experiencing many co-morbidities like Anxiety disorder and OCD. I am on Escitalopram 10mg and they are under control now.

But My work situation, I think got better with medication, but still not made me productive. Sometimes I wonder is the ADHD or laziness? I am really struck in financial as well as meeting deadlines. But I am still keeping postponing or really not doing work with a locked to task mind. Most of the time I sit on my work desk , but not really stays on my work.
How we can distinguish this as a clinical problem because of not enough dosage or is it my character problem? I am so much struck financially, and even then, I cant find me locked to work means what?
What is the difference between a character trait called laziness and brain chemical imbalance which needs to be corrected with medications?

On my work computer, I do lot of things except income generating tasks.

How Can I handle this? Should I ask my Doctor to try higher doses? He is basically a very low dosage advocate and his normal dose suggestion is very low compared with doses mentioned by users in this forum. His opinion is ADHD is a problem which medication can solve only 20%. The rest 80% is self control or will power!. ( I feel and wish he is wrong in that opinion!!)
If my present financial situation is not giving me will power or motivation to work and complete a task, I don't think any other tactic can work except pharmacological intervention.
Please share your thoughts or view points which can help me in finding a solution.
Thanks for reading.

"Everything comes in time for those who can wait!"

Francois Rabelais
ADHD deprives us, of that Power!
Old 11-08-17, 03:40 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is this ADD or laziness? Just cant distingush!

A lack of "willpower" (self-regulation) is a core aspect of ADHD. Yes, for someone with ADHD making progress will take a lot of willpower regardless of whether they are taking medication, but by no means does that mean that willpower alone suffices to fully function. If it did then there was no ADHD.

Can't really commend on the dosage situation but it sure sounds like your doc is clueless about ADHD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
ADD_Serpent (11-08-17), namazu (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 05:15 AM

Thank you Arthos for the post. I think I will ask My doctor for his opinion on trying higher doses. On reading the posts here about prescribed doses even for school children, I think my initial doses will be as good as no medication.
My Strattera dose for several weeks was only 25mg. On reading this forum I asked my doctor several times and later he agreed to give a try. and at 80mg only I started feeling some reduction in resistance to do my tasks.
I think on concerta also I will ask him to give a try.
In my case and observation this problem called my ADHD is a overwhelming feeling which automatically gets attached to my main tasks which needs to be done consistently. Also a inability to wait for some good result to come. I need to know the result immediately. I think that is what they call a inability to achieve delayed gratification.
May be all that included is what you are saying as self-regulation.
Strattera has given me control over some aspects like staying away from unwanted relationships which were exploiting me. before this I was not able to do what I need to do in relationships. But in work That capability is not yet achieved.

Francois Rabelais
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-17, 05:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,294 Times in 13,277 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Concerta goes all the way up to 72 mg so I think your dose is too low.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADD_Serpent (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Concerta goes all the way up to 72 mg so I think your dose is too low.
Is it possible for anybody who is using concerta to explain how we can feel that medicine actually overrides the impairment? is it explainable? urge to do pending work? or remain focused in same task? not feeling urge to postpone or avoid important work?

Any way will give a try by consulting my doctor!
Thanks

Francois Rabelais
Old 11-08-17, 12:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Are you sure you did not have ADHD before the age of 18?

Do you mean you have had ADHD symptoms since you can remember, but were not officially diagnosed until age 18?

M
Old 11-08-17, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Are you sure you did not have ADHD before the age of 18?
Do you mean you have had ADHD symptoms since you can remember, but were not officially diagnosed until age 18?
M
As far as I can remember, this thing started to cause serious consequences for me around 18. Until then my academic performance was good. Suddenly I remember to be having great resistance to study and started failing in exams, developed OCD and eventually dropped out of college.
The year is 1988 and location is rural india.I never heard my doctor discussing anything about a name AdHD. My visible and serious problem at that time was OCD, depression and anxiety. He tried different SSRIs and got that under control. So I started the unsuccessful life of self employment and uncompleted tasks.
Later in my forties I heard of this term ADHd from internet and consulted another new Gen doctor who diagnosed me, put me on atomoxene and concerta in very small doses. My situation is improving but still searching for answers and results which can save my ruined life , finances and work.
Thanks for reading.

Francois Rabelais
Old 11-19-17, 04:48 AM

Bjortic is on a distinguished road

> As far as I can remember, this thing started to cause serious consequences for me around 18. Until then my academic performance was good. Suddenly I remember to be having great resistance to study and started failing in exams, developed OCD and eventually dropped out of college

This is not uncommon for people with ADHD. For many people, the symptoms may not be as noticeable at early age. A lot of ADHD people who do well in the early stages of school despite bad study habits are highly intelligent. However, the more challenging life and school becomes, less reliable natural intelligence is and the more noticeable ADHD symptoms become. Not necessarily because those ADHD symptoms are worsening, but because your natural intelligence is no longer sufficient to make up for things like procrastination and lack of studying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bjortic For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-19-17)
Old 11-20-17, 01:19 AM

Andy1144 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As far as I can remember, this thing started to cause serious consequences for me around 18. Until then my academic performance was good. Suddenly I remember to be having great resistance to study and started failing in exams, developed OCD and eventually dropped out of college.
This sounds similar to me actually. When I turned 18 and went to college my ocd became much worse and college was almost impossible to finish.
The problem here might not really be the ADHD but the OCD itself. OCD can cause impairment in executive functioning just like adhd does. Because of this OCD is often misdiagnosed as ADHD, vice-vesia. Or you could have both.
Maybe it's important to understand what your obsessions are comprised of? Maybe you're trying to have everything perfectly figured out? Maybe you're gathering hoards of information about something just in case you might need it? There's so many different types of obsessions which can cause ADHD like symptoms so I'd suggest looking into that. Also this article might help to distinguish the two:
"OCD and ADHD: The Polar Opposites That Are Not" by Larry Silver in ADDitude Magazine

Last edited by namazu; 11-20-17 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Replaced link to commercial site w/forums (not allowed) with print-friendly version of same, and added title.
Old 11-20-17, 05:35 AM

MilosM is on a distinguished road

Laziness doesn't exist. It's just a lazy man's term for various mental difficulties.
Old 11-20-17, 07:54 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilosM View Post
Laziness doesn't exist. It's just a lazy man's term for various mental difficulties.
I am inclined to agree with this. Particularly when looking at defiant kids: no one likes being difficult. If they knew how to function they would. Same with adults with ADD