ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-17, 10:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,551 Times in 5,197 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
So I started therapy

After coming up with excuses for 20 years I finally had my first therapy appointment

We値l see what happens. I知 going into it with the idea that it can do me some good and that I値l just shut up and listen at times. But still incorporate some of my own limited knowledge of mental health

We shall see I guess.
aeon (11-17-17), InvitroCanibal (11-17-17), Little Missy (11-17-17), namazu (11-16-17), peripatetic (11-16-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-17-17), Unmanagable (11-16-17), WhiteOwl (11-17-17)
Old 11-16-17, 11:50 PM

Thanked 31,854 Times in 14,350 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So I started therapy

i hope you find it helpful/useful.

good to see you back around again. x
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-17-17), daveddd (11-17-17), Little Missy (11-17-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-17-17)
Old 11-17-17, 03:00 AM

Thanked 19,285 Times in 10,253 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

And I was just wondering where you were again.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-17-17), daveddd (11-17-17), stef (11-17-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-17, 03:48 AM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
After coming up with excuses for 20 years I finally had my first therapy appointment

We値l see what happens. I知 going into it with the idea that it can do me some good and that I値l just shut up and listen at times. But still incorporate some of my own limited knowledge of mental health.

We shall see I guess.
Good luck! I hope you benefit from therapy. I just started therapy myself this last Monday after a failed attempt 5 years ago.

I avoided any contact with mental health professionals for most of my life because I don't really like asking anyone for help, thought I could solve my problems on my own if I tried a little harder and had convinced myself that talking to a therapist would be a waste of my time.

It wasn't until 5 years ago when I was 51 that I finally saw a therapist for individual therapy for the first time. That was because my primary care physician had referred me to her to be evaluated for ADHD.

But I didn't really have much rapport with this therapist and stopped seeing her after about three months. I decided that I could do without therapy. And the IR Ritalin I had been prescribed after my diagnosis with ADHD wasn't working very well for me, either, because of side effects. So I decided that I could do without medication, too, and went off the Ritalin and stopped going to the psychiatrist who had prescribed it.

Earlier this year, I realized that I need to stop pretending that I'll ever be able to handle my ADHD on my own and resolved to give medication and therapy a new try. So, I found a new doctor who started me on Vyvanse 14 weeks ago and it's working much better for me than the Ritalin did. And my doctor referred me to a therapist whom I saw for the fist time three days ago. I really liked him and quickly established a good rapport with him. He also seems very knowledgeable about ADHD.

I'm feeling kind of hopeful and optimistic! So, good luck daveddd, and I hope that things start looking up for you, too.
aeon (11-17-17), daveddd (11-17-17), namazu (11-18-17), stef (11-18-17), WhiteOwl (11-17-17), wonderboy (11-18-17)
Old 11-17-17, 04:15 AM

Thanked 1,311 Times in 537 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

I can't afford it, so I listen to this guy.

https://youtu.be/OoA4017M7WU

All of his videos are pretty good.
aeon (11-17-17), daveddd (11-17-17)
Old 11-17-17, 12:01 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,001 Times in 11,647 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck daveddd
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
daveddd (11-17-17)
Old 11-17-17, 08:47 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
And I was just wondering where you were again.
I have a nick name of Houdini. I知 known to vanish and reappear often in pretty much every life situation
aeon (11-18-17), Little Missy (11-17-17), peripatetic (11-18-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-17-17), stef (11-18-17), WhiteOwl (Yesterday), wonderboy (11-18-17)
Old 11-17-17, 11:13 PM

peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

how frequently will you be going?
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
daveddd (11-18-17)
Old 11-18-17, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
how frequently will you be going?
my second appointment is two weeks from my first

so next week
peripatetic (11-18-17)
Old 11-18-17, 09:47 PM

right on.

i do individual therapy weekly, so i was just curious what another's frequency might be.
daveddd (11-18-17)
Old 11-18-17, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
right on.

i do individual therapy weekly, so i was just curious what another's frequency might be.
She left it up to me

Don稚 think I can handle once a week
peripatetic (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
She left it up to me

Don稚 think I can handle once a week
yeah, i can see that. frankly, i find it pretty grueling, but also helpful overall. i am only going twice this month due to 1. veterans day and 2. thanksgiving holidays.

i always have things to figure out each week though, so i keep the schedule she's recommended. so far.
PoppnNSailinMan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,415 Times in 9,089 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, is it some kind of structured therapy, or more free-form?

I've been going weekly, and it's been very unstructured, and I'm feeling like I could maybe use more structure.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
daveddd (Yesterday), peripatetic (Yesterday), PoppnNSailinMan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold

Good for you! That's great that you took that first step in getting help!

I just started therapy also, and I've only seen my therapist twice so far. Like was mentioned, I also feel like I need more structure. She leaves the frequency of visits up to me and I'm like, "Uh, just tell me when to come back in!" I really just need to be told what to do and have her ask me specific questions. The last visit, she just asked what my biggest problem was and I talked about it and I think it helped some, but I feel kind of confused about what I'm supposed to be talking about. I feel like I need more help than I can ever get.

I want to go in weekly, but it's a little bit of a drive and I'm already busy so it's difficult. I think I will just have to keep it every two weeks for now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
daveddd (Yesterday), PoppnNSailinMan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Dave, is it some kind of structured therapy, or more free-form?

I've been going weekly, and it's been very unstructured, and I'm feeling like I could maybe use more structure.
I致e only had one and we just talked randomly. So I知 not sure. I致e never had therapy before. It痴 not like the beginning of a 12 week course of dbt type thing if that痴 what u mean

I could probably use that. But I知 going to go with the flow and take things out of my hands for now
namazu (Yesterday), peripatetic (Yesterday), PoppnNSailinMan (Yesterday)