ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-17, 04:58 AM

Thanked 1,311 Times in 537 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute
Do you ever feel like most people don't believe what you say?

I had an epiphany, that I don't like talking to people because I always get the impression that they don't believe what I am saying.

It's the strangest thing, but I only realized it today.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this experience when they talk to to people. (Anyone, including family.)

Thanks
Fuzzy12 (11-09-17)
Old 11-09-17, 08:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,282 Times in 10,251 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you ever feel like most people don't believe what you say?

Yes.

All the time. Or they misunderstand what I'm saying.

Dogs have no problem understanding what I tell them.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-09-17)
Old 11-09-17, 08:18 AM

Thanked 27,755 Times in 12,828 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the least convincing person I know. I think people just don't take me seriously. Maybe that is similar to not being believed.

I also don't express myself well and I talk fast and not very clearly. People misunderstand me a lot as well.

My family thinks I'm a crazy little girl who doesn't know anything and just got a lot of crazy ideas about everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-09-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-17, 11:11 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,677 Times in 8,849 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Yup.

But I keep saying it all anyway.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-09-17)
Old 11-09-17, 09:52 PM

Thanked 31,830 Times in 14,336 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the topic. I know for fact people disbelieve me about certain things. They believe I believe what I'm saying. They just think I'm delusional. You know what, though? **** them.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-09-17)
Old 11-09-17, 10:06 PM

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,740 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Sometimes and sometimes not. Many times i couldn't convince people of my ideas at one point.

I realize now it was for a few reasons. Main was because they just didn't think the same way as me. I couldn't really imagine what made them afraid to try my idea cause what risks they saw, I didn't really see as a risk at all. Plus how I presented the ideas to them was wrong.

I finally learned that the best way (for me anyway) to get what I want is to present my ideas in person and in a group setting. I could better gage their reaction as i watched them in person and fears they didn't say over say an email could be coaxed out of them when speaking with them directly. Also, when one of my ideas was radically different from what they had done before, it was better to say in public cause they could hear others liking the idea as well so would be less afraid to try something different.

Course, I figured all this out after I stopped giving a crap at work so was a little too late.

I sometimes am afraid people listen to me more than they should. Like I think i can sound very convincing sometimes cause I can sound very logical. But sometimes the logic is wrong, yet I still sound like I'm right I think.

Tbh, I'm afraid sometimes of the responses I give here and that it's wrong but I'll still have convinced people that my idea is the right one.

I'm actually surprised you feel that way invitro cause you often sound extremely convincing to me. You often seem extremely passionate in your arguments and you express your passion in a style that is so poetically beautiful it's hard not to be drawn into your beliefs. I know you've riled me up to quit my job and follow my dreams many times (until I couldn't get my self to move to make it happen lol though I really am doing it now but it's cause in addition to your and unmanagables posts that have influenced me, I just cant can't stand work any longer).
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-09-17)
Old 11-10-17, 06:02 PM
Jr Member

Wire Mother is a jewel in the roughWire Mother is a jewel in the roughWire Mother is a jewel in the rough

Yeah. I'm very good at written communication, but when I talk my brain is racing too fast, and there are often too many things I'm trying to communicate (or not communicate) at once, thus my speech patterns veer between choppy (stumbling over words and almost stuttering) and a headlong, rapid torrent (that too often goes off on tangents).

I may not come off as stupid, or intentionally dishonest, but when I talk to people (especially strangers), I feel like I come across as scatterbrained, not entirely credible, and, frankly, kind of a dork. So I've learned to roll with it and laugh at myself, because what else am I going to do?

If I need to convey an important idea, persuade somebody, or bring up tricky emotional stuff, I write it down to get all of my points straight, and rehearse saying it ahead of time. Which means I'm pretty good at public speaking or giving presentations or giving bad news, but revert to being a total dork during any social chit-chat afterward. (Unless, of course, alcohol enters the picture, but since booze and I aren't really friends, it rarely does.)

I will say this, however: the worst of my anxieties at potentially not being believed (or taken seriously) came from being the child of a Narcissist who routinely belittled me, and accused me of being dramatic or telling stories just to get attention. Getting over the effects of his mental and emotional abuse really helped in that regard; if I worry that I'm not being believed these days, it's because of how I'm saying things, not what I'm saying.
Old 11-11-17, 11:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people believe what I say because I am so honest now that its almost a flaw. I didnt used to be as honest when I was drinking because of having to sneak around and hide it. Lying is easier when you have secret you need to keep. You start lying to protect the secret and then all lying comes easy.Hardest thing I had to learn was to value honesty.
That said, My BS skills have always been good in a fun way. I used to always love that game balderdash where you make up fake definitions of words and get people to vote for yours.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.